Sign in to follow this  
Vemsie

XCOM: Enemy Unknown - Firaxis

As an expansion I suppose it does as much as I can ask for. Things like a better geoscape would probably be more of a full sequel territory.

I think I should be happy enough that they've effectively doubled the map count, but the extra tier of customisation adds quite a bit of longevity too. Suits me a lot, as I prefer to play long, drawn out games. I think I had about a dozen psi talents by the end of the last one, and about 30 colonels, so being able to give them more diverse builds certainly justifies that. Plus I'm quite into transhumanism right now so the theme is welcome. Given their flair for art design I'm hoping the team has made the augmentations quite visible.

I do wonder about the mech suits. By requiring your troops to ditch their current class it almost sounds like they're becoming one with the suit, rather than wear or pilot it. I'm sure Shen would love that. :D (edit: seems to be the case, and the empty mechs do look kind creepy and foreboding.)

And actually, the reasoning behind the new meld resource given in the EG article is really rather good.

As someone who has played the 360 version of Enemy Unknown to death, lent it to a mate, and bought again for my Mac a month later because I was missing it too much, can I just say that this news makes me very moist indeed.

Have they fixed multiplayer yet? Last time I played it was *so* broken - I hate the thought of them releasing more multiplayer maps without fixing the core issues like long animations draining your time and all the bugs there was.

And native language speech for the troops.

It's a small thing but that's a great improvement. It's been daft seeing the soldiers with their respective national flags on their backs and then hearing them speak with an American accent.

Not sure, but if I were you I'd watch the 2k forum very closely, as they've been moaning about (and testing) patches since day dot. For what it's worth though, many of the new features seem to have been inspired by fan feedback on the suggestions thread, so I'm sure they'll have a good go at fixing things.

Otherwise coverage seems surprisingly patchy, with different details coming up in different articles.

Apparently base defense isnt ruled out (and I'd say is foreshadowed by Agent 47s transmission breaking up in the trailer), second wave features have been expanded with a new RNG system and randomized skill trees per class, plus a load of new research and rejigging of pre-existing stuff.

Seems like IGN covers it best, but I fully expect there'll be further details yet to come.

Personally I hope they've fiddled with the old weapon techs to be more like the original.....that is, side-grading to some degree rather than straight upgrades. Might be harder to do given the lack of TUs and fire modes though.

It's a small thing but that's a great improvement. It's been daft seeing the soldiers with their respective national flags on their backs and then hearing them speak with an American accent.

Yeah, and best of all it cost them nothing to implement as its simply a direct unlock of region-specific sound files, which probably explains the lack of chinese ect.

I'm hoping a bit of chinese, russian and maybe indian may have been recorded in (or patched in later), as that'd give enough to broadly cover most nationalities. I mean, as an english speaker I'd be hard pushed to spot the difference between chinese and japanese, for example.

Ok, steam achievements have gone up, and all indications are that the full thing is WAY more involved than even the pax developer panel stuff let on. That was tip of the iceberg stuff.

Speculation to follow, but it goes without saying that you may want to avoid:

- Base defense of some description confirmed, using attack waves and a seperate pool of security personnel. Possibly some kind of arcade based hoard mode.

- Enemy soldiers / medics / snipers etc. Very likely a whole new enemy faction, sounds like the cult of sirius.

- Some sort of chryssalid hive situation.

- New 'agent' type friendly unit for special assignments....could either be direct control, some sort of arcadey side-task, or a remote RNG thingy like in Bureau.

- Medals for your doods!

- Also suggestions at a bunch of new abilities, such as making an enemy suicide.

Also:

When the hell did this happen? That looks pretty good! :D

• Upvote 2

oh god i want it so bad. I could live off expansions forever on this. If it goes to mars at then end.....

Apparently the end for the expansion is the same, they've just filled out the middle.

However, the lead design guy isnt a fan of TFTD, so my money is on a sequel perhaps being a mars campaign or something.

Boo, I was (genuinely) looking forward to kitting my men out in diving bells again and going off to exterminate my foes as cheery little bubbles stream up towards the camera :(

I just re-bought this when it was £7.49 on Steam (it actually cost me about £1.40 or something because I'd saved up my Steam Card pennies) and oh god I remember now why I lost so many hours to the 360 version on release. :wub:

I'm still rubbish at it though. I never seem to have enough money, or power, or engineers, or scientists, or satellite coverage, or medikits in the field, etc etc etc.

I'm only playing it on Normal as well. :(

Ok, steam achievements have gone up, and all indications are that the full thing is WAY more involved than even the pax developer panel stuff let on. That was tip of the iceberg stuff.

Speculation to follow, but it goes without saying that you may want to avoid:

- Base defense of some description confirmed, using attack waves and a seperate pool of security personnel. Possibly some kind of arcade based hoard mode.

- Enemy soldiers / medics / snipers etc. Very likely a whole new enemy faction, sounds like the cult of sirius.

- Some sort of chryssalid hive situation.

- New 'agent' type friendly unit for special assignments....could either be direct control, some sort of arcadey side-task, or a remote RNG thingy like in Bureau.

- Medals for your doods!

- Also suggestions at a bunch of new abilities, such as making an enemy suicide.

Also:

When the hell did this happen? That looks pretty good! :D

I really fucking hope that speculation is accurate because it sounds great.

Is this a standalone for 360 then? Even though the ending is the same? Seems a bit cheeky, I'd almost rather a £25 DLC than having to buy the whole thing again. Not sure why that makes any sense but it kind of does.

Then again, I did do exactly that for SFIV so I'm clearly not a big stickler for such things. I need to get Enemy Unknown back off my brother actually, or just wait a week for new version...

More maps and slightly less bastard like spawning would keep me happy for a good chunk of time anyway. Oh, and the enemies actually doing stuff in the map before you see them like in the originals.

Part of my reasoning for rebuying it on Steam (when I still have the 360 version) was so that if I wanted to play the expansion, I could get it as DLC rather than as a standalone.

Somewhere in my mind this seems to make some sense, but when I actually look at it in black and white, I can't see quite as much logic in it.

I rebought it on Steam (had 360) too and will now buy the Enemy Within next month as DLC, it actually worked out cheaper than buying the "expansion" on 360.

I'm not even sure how it being a standalone on 360 even works - it's a bunch of stuff that gets dropped into the regular campaign rather than a campaign of its own, isn't it? Like the Civ 5 expansion model.

Do you effectively get XCOM with it for free, or will it actually glom everything together and it's purely about how the various categories are defined?

I'm not even sure how it being a standalone on 360 even works - it's a bunch of stuff that gets dropped into the regular campaign rather than a campaign of its own, isn't it? Like the Civ 5 expansion model.

Do you effectively get XCOM with it for free, or will it actually glom everything together and it's purely about how the various categories are defined?

I'd wondered about this too. Supposedly it's something to do with various tehnical / bureaucratic limitations on microsofts end, the usual story. But yeah, it's being presented as effectively getting EU+Slingshot for free. Still, I reckon they can actually sort of justify the price, at this rate it's almost sounding more like a mini-sequel in its own right. Like one one of those sequels that is iterative and uses the same assets but new mechanics, building up revenue for bigger paradigm shifts with the next release.

I really fucking hope that speculation is accurate because it sounds great.

Stuff that has come out since seems to suggest so. There was a screenshot the other day from the end of a mission against the new faction, labelled a 'covert exfiltration'. So that's new too. There's meant to be an embargo lift on more specific details tomorrow (?), speculated to include the changes to the geoscape. If they're big enough to require an embargo they may be more significant than I'd anticipated.

How important is capturing live aliens? The game makes you capture an Outsider fairly early on but apart from that, how important is it to capture all the others?

For example, when I encounter Mutons I tend to want to just splatter them with a rocket, since they can do so much damage to my poor wee soldiers with just one shot.

But should I keep trying to capture one? It seems like a big risk.

Capturing them gives you whole weapons which you can use for free when you research plasma as well as a research credit that lowers the time to research certain techs, and unlocks a whole bunch of different items. It's pretty beneficial, if a bit risk/reward.

Once you get the foundry you can upgrade the taser weapon thing to be more effective (up to 6 health remaining), and snipers can learn an attack that only does one damage but prevents the alien using their weapon for a turn, both of which help. Mind control aliens can still fuck you over though.

Snipers aren't much use in levels which require you to advance in tight quarters, which covers a lot of mission types, and are no good at drawing aliens out (for other snipers to shoot). You'll always want a mix of types to cover the different bases (assaults/supports to scout and draw fire; heavies to suppress enemies/remove obstacles; snipers to kill reliably from a distance; assaults to deal with close-range threats; supports to heal/provide cover for your team).

Of course, you can certainly weigh your squad to suit your preferred tactics (I tended to always have two assaults where possible, for example, with the other doubled-up soldier type determined by the level), but focussing on a single archetype to the detriment of others won't end well.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/10/09/hands-on-xcom-enemy-within/#more-171919

New faction - the Exalt, have all the tech and upgrades you do and more. Transhumanists.

Create cells that suck research and cash from your base. Need to be infiltrated, which involves sending an unarmoured, pistol equipped non-heavy into their base for days and then doing a new covert extraction mission. If you find their headquarters you can base assault them and remove them from the game permanently.

• Upvote 1

Aye, it sounds fun (though I did think the bit where your soldier has to be unarmoured seems a little counter-intuitive, considering that you might expect thermoptic camouflage to be a logical choice of equipment). Just hoping that the base assault they mention isn't the only kind of base assault we can expect...