The terrifying, never-ending (old) Star Trek thread - new movies and Discovery talk in the other, dedicated threads

Yeah, I'm just wondering if this kind of stuff just being dropped was in TNG and Voyager as well, and I just missed it.

Althought I found this quote about the artifact on Memory Alpha:

It is unclear whether the obelisk which, in "The Alternate", is found at the center of the ruins on L-S VI and described by Mora Pol as a possible "relic of Odo's people" was indeed genuine. "To tell you the truth," admitted Odo actor Rene Auberjonois, "I think the obelisk was simply a red herring. In fact, I asked [director] David Carson if anything is going to happen with this thing and he just grinned and said it's just a red herring to confuse the audience so they don't get too far ahead of us [....] But I never assume anything. Watch, three stories into next season there will be a whole story about the damned obelisk still floating around the station."

:lol:

• Upvote 3

Just a random thing that's always annoyed me about Trek, many characters (Paris being a good example) talk about being great pilots, yet we never even see what that is.

Either the ships are huge, and so any human skill is dwarfed by the massive ship, or they are in a very unexciting shuttle, moving around in a completely sterile and boring way.

It always jarred with me, presumably in the future it'll all be computers, but they want to cling on the to macho fighter pilot stuff, even if it's never earned or shown on screen.

23 minutes ago, Pete said:

Just a random thing that's always annoyed me about Trek, many characters (Paris being a good example) talk about being great pilots, yet we never even see what that is.

Either the ships are huge, and so any human skill is dwarfed by the massive ship, or they are in a very unexciting shuttle, moving around in a completely sterile and boring way.

It always jarred with me, presumably in the future it'll all be computers, but they want to cling on the to macho fighter pilot stuff, even if it's never earned or shown on screen.

Paris was so good he needed broken out of prison, too.

Picard was meant to be best pilot on the D if I remember right?

Thing with Paris that annoyed me is the actor was already in TNG and they simply could have reused his character as it fitted the purpose. But no. Baffling.

1 hour ago, deKay said:

Thing with Paris that annoyed me is the actor was already in TNG and they simply could have reused his character as it fitted the purpose. But no. Baffling.

Royalties. Innit. 

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, deKay said:

IIRC it was an outside writer who wrote the episode with Lorenco in.

They thought about making it the same character, but realised they'd have to pay the writer royalties for every episode/media use. So they made the very similar, but legally distinct, Paris :D

• Upvote 1
11 minutes ago, Garwoofoo said:

Enterprise is HD though. Admittedly a very soft HD, and not helped at all by Netflix’s current bitrate shenanigans, but still. 

It really doesn't look HD at all.

You mean only season 4 was shot digitally. The rest was on 35mm film which is plenty HD! It may not have been broadcast in HD before then but it was always being produced and transferred to video that way.

I think the reason the early seasons look so grainy is that we're seeing the original early-2000s telecine - even that technology has improved a lot in the intervening years.

13 hours ago, Hexx said:

IIRC it was an outside writer who wrote the episode with Lorenco in.

They thought about making it the same character, but realised they'd have to pay the writer royalties for every episode/media use. So they made the very similar, but legally distinct, Paris :D

I always wondered the reason. Surely the writer still has a chance of a claim?

6 minutes ago, Gordzilla said:

Legally distinct.  Paris is very different from Lorenco. 

I mean, it’s spelt totally different.

• Upvote 3

Got to admit I am a little underwhelmed by season 3 of Enterprise so far, after everyone saying it really picks up at that point.  By and large I enjoyed season 2, but the first 3 episodes of season 3 I have seen so far are nothing special.  A bland opener chasing Pirates about, a trapped as slave labourers on a mining colony episode which must have been done a dozen times by various Trek series, and even done better in season 2 Enterprise when Archer ends up on Rura Penthe. Then the episode I watched last night which was utter gash.  Why they persist in making episodes where the main cast are transformed into Aliens just baffles me, as with the notable exception of TNG’s The Inner Light they are uniformly awful.

Need to see a big improvement, as I am beginning to remember why I abandoned Enterprise the first time around.:(

I’m at the exact same point as you, Waggo. I like the new structure but the stories so far have been pretty bad. The third episode as you say was a particular stinker. 

However I would say it has potential - it feels like it is going somewhere at last, and I’m more invested in it already than I would have been with a poor 3-episode run  in the earlier seasons. 

Yeah I will definitely stick with it (Not like I have anything better to do at the moment anyway!!!), but 3 episodes in I definitely enjoyed the opening to season 2 more.

I’ve definitely seen this episode before and don’t think it ever bothered me before, but Profit and Loss is another weird “no consequences” episode of DS9:

• Garak confirmed for spy
  • Odo lets out prisoners who the station has agreed to hand over
  • Garak kills a Cardassian Gul
  • There’s a big fat Cardassian destroyer parked outside, presumably very pissed off about their lost rebels and missing Gul

The episode ends with no consequences for any of this. Garak pats Quark on the back and the two go off for a drink. Presumably someone informs the Cardassians that despite how angry they are the episode is over and they need to clear off.

:blink:

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, Mogster said:

Oh yeah, season 3 takes a little while to get going as I recall. It really does pick up in a big way though.

Plus, it features the best Trek space battle outside DS9's Sacrifice of Angels!:

Azati Prime.

• Upvote 1

Well after my moaning above I have just watched the first decent episode of season 3, where they rescued a slave woman who turned out to be a Xindi double agent.  

Also liked the mention back to Archer still suffering bad dreams and side effects of being turned into an Alien the previous episode, despite said episode being utter shite.

I hope there's an Enterprise mini-series/continuation at some point. I doubt it will ever be funded - the show is fairly obscure and the theme tune still inspires hatred, but it would be great to see the establishment of the Federation done properly.

The recent broadcast of Star Trek Beyond inspired me to lookup how the USS Franklin fits with the Enterprise timeline on Memory Alpha. It kinda works, though you have to make a few assumptions to make the dates and NX designation tie together.

• Upvote 1

Well. Enterprise S3 has been a bit up and down so far but Twilight (S03E08) is not only hands down the best episode of the show so far but one of my favourite bits of Trek for a long, long time. Bravo. 

• Upvote 2

Look how amazing I am. Possibly my greatest achievement, recognising a lightning bolt I last saw 38 years ago. Hoping to get a statue or a blue plaque out of this. 

• Upvote 9