Jump to content

The terrifying, never-ending (old) Star Trek thread - new movies and Discovery talk in the other, dedicated threads


Recommended Posts

yeah if you watched Code of Honour then you may as well watch Sub Rosa - Code of Honour is offensively awful with no redeeming features. Sub Rosa is hilariously bad. Mating lizards and Tuvix and a few others are worse than Sub Rosa :)

 

It is just the way in which Sub Rosa  is bad that is so great and makes it so infamous :D

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Waggo said:

I am surprised The Orville has yet to have a cast member shagged by a ghost.:omg:

 

It’s an open goal for them surely.

 

 

 

Hey, any anaphasic hole's a goal!

Link to post
Share on other sites

With old age comes wisdom, or perhaps senility. And it with this in mind that I can now say, with hand on heart...

 

..Neelix isn't that bad really. Yes, he totally is that kind of annoyingly chipper kind of person we all know in real life and want to throttle sometimes but he absolutely means well and his heart is in the right place. His stand-in dad relationship with Naomi is sweet considering what a lonely kid she must be, and the episode where Tuvok gets brain damaged and Neelix does everything he can to put him at ease and help him recover is heartbreaking. Ultimately, I feel he was done dirty the way they find a bunch of his people on the other side of the quadrant and it's decided that's the ending he deserves because no, in a few short years he came to embody everything that is good about the Federation and deserved to see it, and get his ambassadorship.

 

Sure, he's a possessive weirdo in the first couple of seasons while Kes is around but i) Kes is shit and kind of a drag; and ii) once she's out of the picture, he's much better written.

  • Upvote 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Joystick Chevron said:

With old age comes wisdom, or perhaps senility. And it with this in mind that I can now say, with hand on heart...

 

..Neelix isn't that bad really. Yes, he totally is that kind of annoyingly chipper kind of person we all know in real life and want to throttle sometimes but he absolutely means well and his heart is in the right place. His stand-in dad relationship with Naomi is sweet considering what a lonely kid she must be, and the episode where Tuvok gets brain damaged and Neelix does everything he can to put him at ease and help him recover is heartbreaking. Ultimately, I feel he was done dirty the way they find a bunch of his people on the other side of the quadrant and it's decided that's the ending he deserves because no, in a few short years he came to embody everything that is good about the Federation and deserved to see it, and get his ambassadorship.

 

Sure, he's a possessive weirdo in the first couple of seasons while Kes is around but i) Kes is shit and kind of a drag; and ii) once she's out of the picture, he's much better written.

Neelix is in Star Trek Online, and is ambassador to the Delta Quadrant for the Federation, and the Delta Alliance:

Delta_Recruitment_Galaxy.png?version=5ef

This is proper Star Trek, all races decide to band together to make a stand against the Iconians, who in STO, actually are the evil enslaving twats that they were theorised to be in TNG.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well I finally finished S1 of Enterprise :lol:  Yes I took my sweet time about it but then it wasn't exactly compelling me to rush through it.

 

It was perhaps the most relentlessly average series of TV I have ever seen. It wasn't terrible, it was rarely particularly good, it just sort of trundled along in a haze of adequacy. The cast were OK. The storylines were OK. The set design was OK. It was OK.

 

I did enjoy The Andorian Incident, Cold Front, Dear Doctor, and Shockwave. And it handled the whole episodic thing quite well, with some nice references in later episodes to things that had happened previously, and a few threads persisting throughout the series. But overall it was all very unambitious. Interestingly I thought the first half of the series was more experimental than the second half, which was about as vanilla Trek as it's possible to get.

 

I'm going to carry on watching, it's still enjoyable if undemanding viewing, and I hear it picks up - although it sounds like S2 at least is more of the same.

  • Empathy 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I have almost finished season 2 and I think on the whole it has a higher percentage of good episodes than season 1.  It is meant to improve even more for season 3 and 4, so I think you are heading in the right direction.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hahaha. I did have a snigger when I looked at an episode list to remind myself which one Carbon Creek was, and saw what you had coming up next. Tbh I don't mind those Phlox episodes as much as some do though!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Phlox is great, no problems there. Dear Doctor was probably my favourite episode from season one and all his scenes here were fine too. It’s everything else that’s wrong with this episode, especially Boring Archer and his boring mutt, the relentless perving over T’Pol and the endless scenes of the crew soaping each other down in the Enterprise’s dedicated sex disco. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Garwoofoo said:

aaaand holy crap I’ve just seen the Sick Dog episode. 

 

There is a worse one coming up in my opinion called Precious Cargo.  I have watched all but the last episode of season 2 now, and that is definitely the worst I have seen to date.  The acting is atrocious which is not something you expect even from bad Trek.

Link to post
Share on other sites

It's so weird to be the generation that grew up with TNG and Friday night shows on Channel 4 that had C list celebrities point out that mobiles existed now and 60s trek predicted the future.

 

It all comes full circle. Look at those faces. Maybe Wil had used a keyboard in school, but each and everyone of those old hands has qwerty as an accidental second way of thinking, and when they were on the show they were just making pretend. We say computer and computer answers!

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, makkuwata said:

It all comes full circle. Look at those faces. Maybe Wil had used a keyboard in school, but each and everyone of those old hands has qwerty as an accidental second way of thinking, and when they were on the show they were just making pretend. We say computer and computer answers!

 

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 30/03/2020 at 09:46, Waggo said:

 

There is a worse one coming up in my opinion called Precious Cargo.  I have watched all but the last episode of season 2 now, and that is definitely the worst I have seen to date.  The acting is atrocious which is not something you expect even from bad Trek.

 

I've started rewatching Enterprise and am up to ep 7 or 8 of season 1.

 

My major takeaway, aside from that it's all very pedestrian with almost no threat at all (but perfectly watchable) is that the teasers are... well... not teasing anything. They just kinda limp into the credits. And the episode endings limp into the end credits, too, typically with a weirdly almost muted held note on the (elevator) music.

 

It's all very weird, particularly as I've been watching some TNG recently and the teasers are like, 'Bang! Here's the setup! Something intriguing happens, oooooooooooh!', whereas season 1 of Enterprise teasers are usually, 'Trip/Archer and T'Pol have a long conversation, roll opening credits.' It's SO WEIRD.

 

I hope this changes. Was it a conscious choice? Bizarre.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Barnard said:

 

What is this from? Picard season two script readings? (A man can dream)

 

It was on Marina Sirtis' Twitter feed. They'd all got together to wish her a happy birthday, because that cast just loves each other, and I love it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.