rllmuk
Wiper

The terrifying, never-ending (old) Star Trek thread - new movies and Discovery talk in the other, dedicated threads

I just watched first contact today.  I hadn't seen it since our was first released. I thought it was a pretty damn good movie. I was surprised how well it holds up after all this time - and the enterprise looked ace. Not sure I want to bother with the sequels though. 

1 hour ago, drmick said:

I'm in this category. I liked Nemesis, and definitely prefer it to Generations and Insurrection.

Now I'm curious. Gonna have to see this for myself. 

Yeah, I've seen all of TNG, And DS9, and Voyager. I'm one of those weirdos who rates Voyager ahead of DS9. :ph34r:

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Thor said:

This is crap. Hardy is absolutely rubbish, and these Remans, were they made up just for this movie? 

From Memory Alpha

When writer John Logan came up with the idea of featuring Remans as the villains of the 2002 film Star Trek Nemesis, he first had to explain to a perplexed Rick Berman and Brent Spiner exactly who the Remans were, that alien race never having been established in canon Star Trek before. Berman and Spiner eventually approved of Logan's idea, giving him the go-ahead to write the species into the upcoming movie. Logan later explained, "Brent and Rick agreed it would be fun to explore the Remans and their relation to the Romulans." (Star Trek Nemesis, pp. xviii & xix)

The Remans were created as a response to the challenge of devising a new, terrifying alien race for Nemesis. "The idea of the Remans being vampirelike slaves, laboring away in the dilithium mines, never seeing the sun, grew out of our desire to create a truly monstrous race," recalled John Logan. "It seemed obvious to me that the Romulans would subjugate some other race to dig dilithium for them. Much too messy for our pristine and elegant Romulans." (Star Trek Nemesis, pp. xviii & xix)

• Upvote 1

Now to be fair (HA!) to Nemesis - Remus itself was not an invention of that hack Logan. Remus was, I think, first mentioned in TNG as the sister planet of Romulus... Remans were however his invention!

blech

The best part is it never even needed hiom to invent Remans - he just had to have different Romulan factions which had already been established in TNG. MAybe even actually refer back to the issues that were rasied in TNG ... oh god no that sounds like work lets get John Logan to shit out an idea. ffs :D

• Upvote 1

I put all of tng on a second screen recently to gear up for Picard and even watched sub rosa again. It's really, really daft. It even sort of maybe had a good idea but the unnecessary Scottish nonsense coupled with ghost orgasms, it's just stupid. 

I enjoyed looking up IMDb trivia on some of the episodes as I'm that kind of nerd and was pleased to read colm meaney was on record regarding his displeasure about the Irish space travellers episode. It's just so blatantly racist and there's literally no reason for them to be "lucky charms leprechaun" levels of Irish. The general premise of them being an agricultural half of some colonists and the other ship got all the technology isn't bad but then the 'advanced' colony aren't even Irish either, so it's like they became Irish traveller types somehow. It's ridiculous. 

Edit: and I never knew until this time round why gates McFadden left in the second series and it was apparently because of a producer being a huge sex pest, who left at the end of 2 (and it didn't work out with dr. Overly moody). They apparently at the time suggested that things such as gates' fine red hair meant she had to spend ages in make up or some shit :rolleyes:

• Upvote 1

yep it was #metoo 30 years too early!

The other one I read was Frakes being so bothered (in retrospect) about Code of Honour (Yasha being enslaved by an "african tribe" with accents and everything) that he tried to prevent it being shown on reruns - it is almost completely inexcusable as an episode.

28 minutes ago, Thor said:

This is crap. Hardy is absolutely rubbish, and these Remans, were they made up just for this movie? 

#prayforThor - he must be near the end now!

I am. The Romulans are actually decent, I always liked them as the federation's frenemies.

Also, Troi is good in this. 

Shame this fight is fucking rubbish. 

Edit: Oh wow, yeah, there's certainly no coming back from that, Mister Data. 

Actually for a Trek fan I'd say that's worth sitting through once for some of the good little snippets in there. It's a shame, as the film has the bones of a good story. 

54 minutes ago, Clipper said:

The other one I read was Frakes being so bothered (in retrospect) about Code of Honour (Yasha being enslaved by an "african tribe" with accents and everything) that he tried to prevent it being shown on reruns - it is almost completely inexcusable as an episode.

yeah Code of Honor is really hard to watch these days, even by the standards of Season 1 it’s just utterly terrible in its attitudes and it’s a shit episode too. 

I don’t think I’ve seen Sub Rosa. I looked it up and it’s late season 7 apparently - all those great episodes behind them and they come up with an all-time stinker? Now I have to go watch it. 

(Mind you DS9 did the same thing with the Ferengi cross-dressing episode in the final season. Maybe it’s just a Trek thing). 

2 hours ago, Clipper said:

Yeah, that's another one where they could have so easily just made it any old alien race that were tribal and primitive, with the women "owning" the men and so on but they gratuitously put them in African wardrobe / set dressing, everything. 

The whole fight choreography was bloody terrible but the general story wouldn't be nearly as bad if it wasn't basically enterprise vs. The most stereotypical zulus style tribe. It's embarrassing. 

How did "Kelvin Timeline" end up becoming the official name, when all this time we could have been calling it the Pineline? :(

• Upvote 3

17 hours ago, JohnC said:

I like how Discovery has just catapulted off to fuck knows where.

as long as poochy doesn't turn up in Picard, please dear god don't let that happen.

• Upvote 2

I'm watching DS9 again at the moment and "space dartboard " is a hilariously lazy bit of prop design. The actual arcade dart boards that existed when it came out look more futuristic than the one in the show :lol:

• Upvote 2

On 28/01/2020 at 19:12, iknowgungfu said:

I just watched first contact today.  I hadn't seen it since our was first released. I thought it was a pretty damn good movie. I was surprised how well it holds up after all this time - and the enterprise looked ace. Not sure I want to bother with the sequels though. 

I watched this tonight - it's pretty good! Definitely better than Generations and it actually looks like / is structured like a proper movie rather than just an extended episode of the TV show.

It gets a bit silly in the end with Patrick Stewart swanning around in a vest like a geriatric Bruce Willis impersonator, and I have no idea at all what was going on with Gates McFadden's hair, but it's a good movie and probably the creepiest I've ever seen the Borg.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Garwoofoo said:

I watched this tonight - it's pretty good! Definitely better than Generations and it actually looks like / is structured like a proper movie rather than just an extended episode of the TV show.

It gets a bit silly in the end with Patrick Stewart swanning around in a vest like a geriatric Bruce Willis impersonator, and I have no idea at all what was going on with Gates McFadden's hair, but it's a good movie and probably the creepiest I've ever seen the Borg.

Is first contact the one where Picard has the fight with the big bad against a background that looks like they couldn't afford an actual cg backdrop in post so just left the blue screen there?