Sonic CD coming to all formats (except Wii) late 2011

Mr Do 71

To 'complete' the game you need to clear every stage in its future version. I think this game got hyped up by people who never played it as that Sonic game on the Mega CD that looked amazing. So now when everyone can own it its turned out to be not as expected.

If thats the case, it's only because Koshiro and Nakamura weren't Sega employees.

Honestly the least helpful response in anything ever, regardless of whatever preferencial opinion you've got. Better just posting "look at my J-Pop credentials!" than any particular song analysis, eh?

As for Sonic CD, this feels like the room that SEGA wanted to put out more experimental stuff that later sprouted from S3&K or Nights, with alternate versions colouring the past and different future versions (dunno why the past stuff doesn't appear on the sound test mind). Collision Chaos is a great level for this, with future 80s stuff reduced to 'tribal' drums and different layers in the past version, which itself sounds like it hasn't 'evolved' with the timestream yet, but the foundations are still pleasing to hear.

It wasn't actually meant to be helpful, more an allusion to the weight their work for Sega compares to Sega's in house artists at the time. I haven't even listened to their other works so it's not even about that.

I haven't completely dismissed the game, even though I'm not keen on it so far so I tell you what, I'll go away and listen to the music. Then I'll come back and rather than make a joke or sarcastic remark I'll give a proper point of discussion. It didn't leave a great initial impression though.

The level design is atrocious and the past/future stuff is annoying.

That won't stop me playing it all Xmas though.

Bring on S3&K.

I thought that the level design in this was marvelous, honestly. Every single level is multi-tiered with more than a handful of multiple paths, secrets, alcoves, etc. There are many ways to beat every single stage and when you're done finding all the Metallix holograms and Robot Generators, time trials await. There are some low points (Wacky Workbench act 1 SUCKS if you don't know the best places to time travel), and the levels are extremely short in you aren't going for Good Futures, but I'd go as far as to say that this is one of my favorites in the series.

Sonic 3 & Knuckles or basically any one of the original games would be a treat with the amount of care that went into this, though. Hey, if SEGA released, like "Sonic Classic Collection" or something of the sort, as a $20-$30 disk with Sonic 1, 2, and 3&K on it with Taxman's engine, Tails and Knuckles playability in Sonic 1 and 2, etc, I'd buy it in a second.

As an aside, I'm surprised that the SMS/GG Sonic games don't get more love from the fandom. Admittedly the graphics are terrible in comparison to the MD titles, the controls are weird, and there are few enemies onscreen most of the time. However, the level design is great and it has a number of neat design features befitting a slower Sonic game.

As an aside, I'm surprised that the SMS/GG Sonic games don't get more love from the fandom. Admittedly the graphics are terrible in comparison to the MD titles, the controls are weird, and there are few enemies onscreen most of the time. However, the level design is great and it has a number of neat design features befitting a slower Sonic game.

The first is better than the original megastore game if you ask me.

The second, well it's good ( much more varied than sonic 2 megadrive ) but I always just had the game gear version with the stupidily hard boss fights. Mainly the first boss, oh and the first hang glider bit on th next level.

I'd love remakes of these two.

Definitely. I never had a Mega Drive so didn't play those versions until recently - up until then the Master System versions WERE Sonic 1&2 to me.

This is one of the worst games I've ever played, what were they thinking? The soundtrack makes it all a pleasant experience however, and it's a great little piece of gaming history to own for 400pts.

edit: Some elaboration: just done the Stardust Speedway and Wacky Workbench levels, there is nothing redeemable about them whatsoever. I was so excited to get to the boss each time thinking I could wake up from the nightmare but no, they're even worse than the stages.

The game's design is similar to what I used to achieve as a child mashing buttons in Sonic 2's debug mode.

Totally off-topic, but I thought that Capcom's unbelieveably half-hearted iPhone version of Megaman X was worth sharing to see the polar opposite to how good the Sonic CD conversion was. It's got:

- 'cleaned up' sprites (everything run through a flash filter)

- horrible touchscreen controls

- extra screen transitions which the SNES didn't need

- DLC extras, some of which costing more than the entirity of Sonic CD

In short: is Sonic CD the future of 2D's past? Let's hope so.

Just bought this on PSN. The only 2D Sonic I'd never played.

Oh my, it's well fugly and not good at all. I can't for the life of me believe an actual human artist sat down and drew the garish backgrounds. In fact, it's like the areas have been spat out by some random level generator, such is the rubbishness of them.

The conversion is glorious though. Clearly a labour of love, and despite the game itself being a bit of a turd, I'm happy to have supported it. Echoing others, I'd love my Sonic Collection to be remade like this.

• 1 month later...

Itching to play this, got the Steam version with free Spiral Knight shizzle (shame it's not TF2 but ah well), downloading now. Such a misunderstood gem I think, admitedly I never completed it originally but I think that was due to the Mega CD fucking up.

• 11 months later...

I would like to add my praise for the quality of this conversion. I hope it sold well enough to send a message to Sega that this is what the Sonic franchise deserves - care and attention! They could have so easily stuffed the ISO into an emulator and sold that for four quid. I'm glad they didn't - this is now the definitive version (aside from the lack of vocals in the Japanese intro movie).

It's also 50% off on Steam until tomorrow. Come on, you know you want to. :P

Some thoughts on the game itself: I previously disliked it, for most of the reasons stated in this thread. Annoying level design, ugly and confusing tile placement, game ideas that don't work as well as they should, and so on. Well, it's hard to argue that the game has no flaws, but the more I play it, the more I like it. There really isn't another game (or even Sonic game) like it these days. Having to work stuff out for yourself, having to actually explore the levels thoroughly. Games are so obsessed with spectacle and rewarding the player for doing fuck-all these days.

Let me state, though, the level design is, in places, abysmal. Wacky Workbench has been mentioned, and although I can appreciate the challenge of getting around it (and finding the hidden machines), it serves little more than to frustrate than reward. Also, the tunnels in the Starlight, uh, Stardust Speedway, that send you back and forth, and, later, the circular routes in Metallic Madness (ARRRGHHH!!) are inexcusable, lazy, horrible layouts, designed by an evil masochist who is stupid.

However, much of the early levels have clever layouts that are fun to explore, even if it is a little slow-going. I've dabbled with Sonic CD prior to this release (never on original hardware, I had the Gems collection on the GC and I've played it through an emulator too), but always found the past/future stuff daunting and off-putting. It's only now that I've put some effort into playing it properly that I've come to enjoy it. It's not really that difficult at all, and the game constantly reminds me of Sonic 1 in so many ways. It's just... expanded, in a totally different direction. You can of course ignore the time travel stuff and play it straight through, but that's not its strength.

Anyway, I just wanted to share my change of heart about this game. I can't claim it's beyond criticism, but its shitness is shit in a good way, and its goodness is good in a shit way. And I really like it.

Except for the special stages, they can die in a fire. That is all.

Like a total numpty, I bought this again for iOS. How the fuck do people play platformers with touch screen controls? It's atrocious! :(

It's a good version aside from that crippling flaw, though. It has an option in the pause menu to 'restart' a level, which the PC version doesn't. This actually uses up a life, so it's just a quick way to die and try again if you need to. However, it doesn't have a 'return to main menu' option, so if you want to actually start from your last save point, you have to choose quit game and go back through the title screens, which is a tad slower. That might sound picky, but when you're going for Emeralds Time Stones by restarting every failed attempt before the clock ticks down to zero, those wasted seconds add up.

TL;DR: I frickin' love buttons.

Like a total numpty, I bought this again for iOS. How the fuck do people play platformers with touch screen controls? It's atrocious! :(

It's a good version aside from that crippling flaw, though. It has an option in the pause menu to 'restart' a level, which the PC version doesn't. This actually uses up a life, so it's just a quick way to die and try again if you need to. However, it doesn't have a 'return to main menu' option, so if you want to actually start from your last save point, you have to choose quit game and go back through the title screens, which is a tad slower. That might sound picky, but when you're going for Emeralds Time Stones by restarting every failed attempt before the clock ticks down to zero, those wasted seconds add up.

TL;DR: I frickin' love buttons.

League of Evil and 1-bit Ninja are the king of iOS platformers.

• 8 years later...

Inspired by the recent 30th anniversary, and this week’s Sonic-themed Back Page podcast, I decided to finally try Sonic CD properly, and not just sticking it on, playing Palmtree Panic, then getting bored and frustrated and turning it off. 

I made it to Metallic Madness before hitting a game over, and will go back to see the final boss, but I did want to take a break and post my thoughts… except they’ve largely been posted already, 10 years ago, by others. 

The one thing I’d like to add, which I don’t think has been said on the rllmuk record yet, is - while I’m down for a Sonic game that encourages the player to more properly explore each zone, searching for signposts to travel in time, find stuff in the past and altering the future, the actual level design is pushing against this at every opportunity; like the creative director and level designers were working against each other, trying to produce a different version of the game. 

Every level is filled with typical Sonic fare - springs that catapult you off to another part of the stage, through geometry you can’t traverse backwards, and which encourages fast play. The zones in CD are even more abstract than the other MegaDrive games, though, which means its actually harder to make your way around. The game also wrests control away from the player in certain sections (the tunnels mentioned by @Sprite Machine spring immediately to mind). 

If you want the player to explore, this is the opposite way to go about it. Look at Marble Zone for a good example of how to do a slower, more considered Sonic level. Sonic CD has more than its fair share of badly designed zones (fuck Wacky Workbench! And fuck the over-reliance of spring-into-boobytrap crap while you’re at it), which you can at least chalk up to a general spirit of experimentation and refusal to do the same game over again, but it’s a game working against itself in many regards. 

I would like to finish it, and at its core it’s still a good Sonic game - the ultra-high speed running animation is a wonderfully satisfying reward for getting him up to speed and the time manipulation idea is inspired. I just wish it didn’t punish the player quite so harshly for trying to engage with it in those terms. The only way I can see how you could possible get a good future in all the zones is to memorise their layouts in advance, which is not humanly possible. 

8 hours ago, Popo said:

Inspired by the recent 30th anniversary, and this week’s Sonic-themed Back Page podcast, I decided to finally try Sonic CD properly

Same here, for the same reasons. 

I think I feel exactly the same about it so far, too. The music is fantastic, and the concept is good, but in practice it's just a bit frustrating if you're actually aiming to fix the future in every stage. 

I feel it was probably designed this way to encourage multiple playthroughs. You'd play it to the end, then try and get all the emeralds, then maybe try and get all good futures once you really knew the levels well. I used to play the Mega Drive Sonic games to death when I was a kid, so I could definitely see myself going for this at the time.

The music is brilliant. I think I've only played the US and UK releases before now, so this is the first time I've heard the original soundtrack in context. It immediately sounds like a Sonic game, but with an identity all of its own.

I've played a bunch more of this now, and have revised my opinion a bit. For a start, the levels have turned out to be a lot easier to explore than I thought at first. I've been able to get good futures on most levels without knowing my way around, and this design combined with the more vertical levels has made this feel very different from the other Sonic games. I'm gradually getting the hang of the special stages too, although I've yet to actually beat any of them.

The bosses have been quite cool as well, with each one featuring some kind of gimmick to contend with rather than just asking you to hit Robotnik's ship a few times.

The music has been consistently great, although in a way that has yet to produce anything as catchy as the other games, which remains my main issue really. As solid as this is, I think it lacks some of the character of the numbered games. It's good though!

And finished, without a single emerald to my name, but I'll take it.

The last level was a bit disappointing really. Lovely music, but a really annoying little challenge leading up to an anticlimactic final boss. The Metal Sonic race at the end of the previous stage was a better set piece I think.

I think I could probably finish with a good future in every level if I put my mind to it, but those special stages are still a real challenge. One day, maybe. In the meantime I should probably finish Sonic Mania. :D