Yeah having the two different core sets is ideal. Then from there just buying any ships that take your fancy.

I'd advise you stick to rebels and Imperials (or just one faction if you had a friend collecting). The scum faction is more strange/complex generally.

11 minutes ago, Blunted said:

I have two original sets and would be up for a trade if you fancy @Kzo?

Sounds good mate, I'll give you a shout when I get em.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Kzo said:

You should have 4 exp if you win the next mission (1 from Aftermath, 1 from side mission, 2 if you win A New Threat).

Aye Force Adept is good, Diala is pretty strain heavy though, which limits her and makes it important to remember the surge rule.

I spent 1 on Force Adept :) 

But if we win that would change from having 2 at end of next mission (ready to buy a 2xp upgrade) to 3xp (so close to a level 4 one!). Gah choices. 

Yeah but given you can rest freely, and recover strain from fighting even if you don't do damage (and WotS recovery would be silly) just being a buff machine might be fun. 

The Imperial player was not happy in A Simple Task. Diala had had the stuffing knocked out of her after quasi tanking. But just stayed in the center room of the base Force Helping the team as they ran out, and resting to recover. (He'd put all his last deployments on the way out to block us, rather than in the center of the base where we could have run away from)

Edit - Gonna ask a mod if they can move this chat to Star Wars! thread. Kinda hogging the WAYP thread

Edited by Hexx

Can anyone recommend a good Star Wars table top RPG for beginners? Me and a few mates were looking to have a go, but I haven't GM'ed a game since I was around 15. I'm now... older than 15...

Something simple but fun to get us into it would be amazing!

28 minutes ago, BitterToad said:

Can anyone recommend a good Star Wars table top RPG for beginners? Me and a few mates were looking to have a go, but I haven't GM'ed a game since I was around 15. I'm now... older than 15...

Something simple but fun to get us into it would be amazing!

The original is the best and soon to be reprinted:

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/products/star-wars-the-roleplaying-game-30th-anniversary-edition/

There's a free fan made bootleg revised version as well:

http://www.d6holocron.com/downloads/books/REUP.pdf

• Upvote 2

Yep, while I love FFG’s Edge of the Empire, the old West End Games D6 System is simpler to learn, GM and play, and has the scope for really cinematic RPing.

• Upvote 1

I played my first game of X-Wing yesterday, with my daughter. We played the cut-down version of the rules, and instead of using the dials I let her choose her moves using the movement rulers. She's only five but she was really getting the hang of it by the end, choosing her moves so she could bam-bam daddy. She wanted to play again straightaway too so looking forward to playing more next weekend.

• Upvote 3

Fuck that shit. They always were obsessed with churning out expansions to grab our money but it’s got even worse since they were taken over by Asmodee. All they do now is a constant conveyor belt of expansions for a handful of games.

Also, the imperial upgrade kit only includes enough pieces for 4 tie fighters. I have 5.. Classic FFG, not putting enough stuff in games so you buy multiple copies.

Meh, the changes look really well thought out, you're really finding fault with losing out on a single tie fighter dial? This is going to make the game so much more interesting, balanced and diverse, I can't wait.

The changes do look great but it's a blatant money gouging exercise. It seems not only do you need a conversion kit for each faction ($50 each) you also need a core set ($40). So for me that's $140, which is going to be roughly £100. £100 for some rules tweaks and new art on cards. I'm not saying it's not tempting but that's a lot of cash just to upgrade a game I already own.

edit: and there's been no mention of updated rules for capital ships, or replacements for the cards that came with them.

The state of the game competitively absolutely needed this reboot, and if you only play casually then you can easily just keep playing first edition if you want. All that stuff doesn't magically stop working or existing.

If they really wanted to make maximum money they either wouldn't have bothered with the conversion kits (make you buy everything again) or not made a second edition at all, they could easily milk 1st edition for a few more years with much less development cost.

I'm just pleased my very favourite game is going to be improved in so many ways and future proofed.

Also they've mentioned that they do have plans for epic ships, it's not abandoned, but they will wait until the dust has settled on the normal stuff first.

Oh yeah, I realise I can carry on with 1st edition. I only play casually with a few friends so unless they plan to upgrade there's not a lot of point in me doing so anyway.

Are you sure their development costs have increased? This way they can just re-release the models they've already designed with new cards. Continuing with 1st edition would mean creating new models from scratch, which is something they now don't have to worry about for the foreseeable future.

They've also changed the price point of the small ships. They've gone up from $15 for 1st edition to $20 for 2nd.

• Upvote 1

Yeah the slight price hike isn't needed I agree there! And I see where you're coming from, definitely hard to justify a £45 upgrade kit (plus a new core set) for a game you only play casually. This will definitely lose a lot of players, but equally encourage a lot of new ones I imagine.

I'm so excited though personally,  harpoon missiles and power creep in general have really soured competitive play. Plus having these next ships (tie reaper and saws renegades) including 2nd edition components is a really nice touch.

Anyone getting into X wing second edition then? Got my imperial conversion kit and the starter set yesterday, there's an insane amount of assembly and sorting to do, it's really exciting! Got a friend coming over Sunday for a full day session, can't wait.

The app is very buggy currently but that's the only disappointment at the moment. Oh and the lack of shield tokens, don't throw away your 1.0 ones just yet!

You also need to hang onto your bomb templates, as the Conversion Kits don't come with any. I spent about three hours punching tokens and sorting cards as I unpacked the starter set and three kits yesterday, then another twenty minutes going through my paper recycling bin trying to reclaim the bits I shouldn't have thrown away.

12 hours ago, Jackson said:

Anyone getting into X wing second edition then? Got my imperial conversion kit and the starter set yesterday, there's an insane amount of assembly and sorting to do, it's really exciting! Got a friend coming over Sunday for a full day session, can't wait.

The app is very buggy currently but that's the only disappointment at the moment. Oh and the lack of shield tokens, don't throw away your 1.0 ones just yet!

What are the major differences?

Streamlined future-proof rules that take into account all the possibilities from the beginning, instead of only later ships getting new mechanics and power creep.

App based points costs to allow for re balancing

Less focus on power build card combos, more focus on maneuvering and tactics.

No 'auto includes' such as veteran instincts and push the limit. Lots of ships have linked actions built in as a sort of mini ptl.

Force powers!

I'm having my first session Sunday but I'm very impressed reading the rules, will report back.

• Upvote 1

It is excellent! Its a really perfect refining of the original game, there's not a single little change I disagree with. All the ships have their own identity now thanks to built in special abilities, linked actions, more variety of actions and so on. The force is really fun to use and makes your force users feel appropriately special.

It won't win over someone that didn't like the game before, it's definitely still X wing, just a cleaner, better design.