Snow White and the Huntsman

This is the second (or first) Snow White related project due in 2012. This one seems to playing it grittier than Tarsem's Snow White project, which from what the advert claims, is a comedic adventure (that project stars Julia Roberts, Arnie Hammer and Nathan Lane). So the idea for Snow White & The Huntsman expands on the huntsman's role. He is still instructed to take Snow White out into the woods and kill her but instead, he stays with her and trains her up in fighting and survival techniques. The dwarves will still feature, but in what capacity is unknown. Kristen Stewart plays Snow White while Thor's Chris Hemsworth plays the huntsman. The evil queen is being portrayed by Charlize Theron. The project is being helmed by Rupert Sanders, who is his making his feature debut with the film after working in the commerical industry.

post-242-010980600 1311493360_thumb.jpg

post-242-013048900 1311493361_thumb.jpg

post-242-013831400 1311493362_thumb.jpg

post-242-007696400 1311493363_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...

I'm not sure what I was expecting, and I'm a tad suspect about the lack of Kristen Stewart in that trailer considering she's Snow White, but colour me at least interested.

Wife is practically foaming at the mouth to see the The Hunger Games trailer, she's a huge fan of the books.

Here is the YT version:

Ignoring the fact you are supposed to believe Kirsten Stewart is more beautiful than Charlize Theron (which I guess will be explained away in the film because The Queen will take away others beauty for herself) the big issue here is the complete lack of Stewart's acting. It is not normally a good sign when the main star barely gets a few seconds screen time in a trailer. The rest of it looks quite decent though, it looks quite striking, the special effects seem decent and it has given a familiar story a new twist.

I know they're aiming for a new angle but that's pretty much a full trailer run time - with no real footage of the star (or the dwarves curiously). And as you rightly say - it's an odd world where Stewart is meant to be prettier than Theron. Perhaps they're going with "show what works?"

I know they're aiming for a new angle but that's pretty much a full trailer run time - with no real footage of the star (or the dwarves curiously). And as you rightly say - it's an odd world where Stewart is meant to be prettier than Theron. Perhaps they're going with "show what works?"

Suspect it's more that the interesting character in the story has always been the Queen.

Snow White has zero character development in the original fairy tale: things happen to her. She provokes nothing.

I know what you mean - although the film was originally sold as being more of a survival story. The huntsman was meant to be taking her to the woods to kill her but instead trains her in battle/survival and ultimately take on the queen (who is, as you say, a more interesting character).

Just seems odd to have given her hardly any screen time or dialogue.

• 2 months later...

Isn't it a bit of a problem for a Snow White film when the Queen is about 10x more attractive than Snow White herself.

EDIT: Oops should have read the thread more thoroughly as it's seems that point has already been made.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

YouTube version of the five minute preview:

I can't believe I'm actually looking forward to a Kirsten Stewart movie. The preview also states that it is her heart that is more beautiful which at least explains why somebody who looks like a meth addict can be more beautiful than Charlize Theron.

That really does look impressive. I think what's going to let it down though is Stewart. I don't think she has the presence or the acting ability - and would it kill her to smile just once?

But her aside, there's some great imagery and sequences.

I dislike Stewart because she only has one range in absolutely everything I've seen her in (which includes Twilight, Adventureland, Runaways and all the other supporting roles in a whole host of films). If I hated actors who were crap due to poor writing/direction then I'd hate people like Natalie Portman, but I don't.

Plenty of actors are pretty one-note at her age (and plenty far beyond it, too). Taking that into consideration I think she's done a decent enough job with the roles she's had whenever I've seen her, to be honest. And I've no doubt that the people hiring her at the moment are hiring her to do nothing more than to be Kristen Stewart, considering how much money her films have made over the past few years. Most people would be phoning it in in that situation. I'll judge her when I see her in something in a bit more demanding (no doubt once her hype has died down).

Think the comments about her appearance are a bit cruel too, really. She's not as conventionally beautiful as Charlize Theron (not many are) but she's still really fucking pretty.