rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
lordcookie

Nicolas Winding Refn‘s Drive

I tried it on my Region A-set Technika and a message appeared saying it's locked to Region B.

Yeah, doesn't work on my Japanese PS3 either.

I was underwhelmed by this film. Possibly my expectations had been built up too much by other people's reviews but I didn't much care for any of the characters, the story didn't grip me as much as I wanted or had hoped, the "bad guys" were cheesy. I thought it could have been a film Jason Statham played the lead character in. At times it felt like it could have been a long advert for a watch or male deodorant with the way Gosling and Mulligan were looking at each other and not saying anything. It seemed like it wanted to be Leon or Taxi Driver with a lead character who wasn't particularly interesting or deep (or at least we weren't shown much of his personality).

However, I think it looks beautiful, the soundtrack is ace and Ryan Gosling is great as always (see Half Nelson if you haven't already).

• Upvote 1

I wasn't blown away by this either, as I was watching it I felt like it was a well made film but didn't really do anything particularly interesting to make me feel it was a great film.

• Upvote 1

Didn't know where to put this, maybe we need a random thread in here as well. Anyway, poster for a film that doesn't exist -

post-242-0-24771600-1331579412_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 2

Finally got round to watching the bluray of this last night.

It is a stunning film. Just incredible and has one of my all time fav bits of music all the way through (Brian Eno – An Ending). It’s beautiful, traumatic and so tense (in an amazing way) it did me in, chewed my fingers off nearly. Carey Mulligan was excellent and performance of his life for Ryan Gosling.

Best thing I’ve seen in years, wow...

• Upvote 1

Wow, blown away by this. Truly stunning. I was getting a sort of Heat mixed with Risky business styling vibe from it.

Got the soundtrack on now!

I think essentially though he was a fantasist that got dragged into the plot of one of his movies through extraordinary coincidence and circumstances. Essentially though in the end all he wanted to do was protect the woman and her boy. I thought the scene with him and the boy watching TV was very touching, and also touched upon the dubiety of his character with reference to the shark in the programme.

• Upvote 1

I bloody loved this. So beautiful to watch, and so harsh when it all kicks off.

One thing though... There isn't that much driving in it...

Anyone else seen Pusher? Was Refn's first film, I think it's better than Drive. Certainly a lot more realistic.

Got the 2 sequels here to watch starring Mad Mik, supposedly even better than the first.

Really loved this film, amazed the thread is only up to 6 pages. One of those films you can just submerse yourself in.

One thing though... There isn't that much driving in it...

Luckily the film is actually called 'Drive' then eh?

I did not like this film when I first watched it, yet I still can't forget it, and this annoys me.

God damn it, they always say the best art is that which refuses to be forgotten, and I can't forget this movie.

When I first watched it, I saw style over substance and lot of passive-aggression in the content of the film... Yet I want to watch it again. I have never been this divided on a movie! I guess it's a good film therefore.

This is definitely one of my favourite movies of the last few years. Loved everything about.

I was like that with The Thin Red Line, when the credits rolled i was like thank fuck for that. Then i found myself thinking about it for days after. Watched it a 2nd time and totally loved it.

Loved Drive from the get-go though, helps if you have a deep love for the 80s I reckon.

Watched this twice now, loved it more each time.

Both times I've seen it, when A Real Hero kicks in at the end I've been close to crying. Amazing film.

Ryan Gosling, age 11, performing at a Mormon Talent Show contest:

Skip forward 35 seconds to see him breaking loose to C&C Music Factory. Even as a pre-teen he was the man.

• Upvote 1

Haha, that's awesome. Proper jealous of the little bugger there. I so wish I could dance.

:;wistfully looks and contemplates having grown up with no dance gene::

Mind, I thought that little girl was better there than Gosling.

This plays during the scene where driver approaches the club in the mask, and it just happens to be one of the most beautiful and uplifting pieces of music i've ever heard. I listen to it on my earphones and it makes me well up.

• Upvote 1

Ryan Gosling, age 11, performing at a Mormon Talent Show contest:

Skip forward 35 seconds to see him breaking loose to C&C Music Factory. Even as a pre-teen he was the man.

They are both adorable.

Lars n the Real Girl is ace, freaky.

He's a premium dancer too, wonder if he can still do it?