rllmuk
jonnyalpha

UK Games Expo

The largest gaming event in the UK is the UK Games Expo which is held in Birmingham on the first weekend of June. This year will be the fourth event, I think, and will be the third one that I've made it to. It's a great couple of days with lots of retailers, demos to try, a bring and buy stall, talks, Live Munchkin, Role playing sessions, board game tournaments etc etc.

Every year I've managed to bag some brilliant bargains and sold some stuff at the bring and buy stall to fund my trip.

I'll be going with my daughter and a friend who'll be bringing along his 2 kids. The kids have all loved it the last few years and in 2010 they entered the kids competition where everyone won free games. Much happiness. It's rapidly become one of the best weekends of the year for me so who else is coming?

UK Games Expo

I'm going and will be a busy git. I'm presenting a couple of panels (one with a bunch of RPG designers, the other with game designers), doing live stream demos for BoardGameGeek of new games being announced there and generally messing about. I'm heading up early on the Friday to do set-up so will be around for pretty much the whole weekend.

Really need to book a hotel, I keep forgetting.

Hmm tempting, I guess me and the missus could pop up for the day. I would suggest she goes off to do something nice while I went to the expo, then I remembered it was in Birmingham, so that knocks that idea on the head

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Sounds like there may be a mini gaming unplugged meet :)

A few of my mates are going and are trying to convince me to go, but I think it would be pushing it with the mrs. I have been at too many geekends recently and have another one on in May. Would love to go though.

For anyone who even vaguely likes board/card games this is a brilliant weekend. You owe it to yourself to try and get there for the Saturday as there's just loads to do and it sounds like there is going to be even more this year. The Sunday has always been a lot quieter but I think they're trying to remedy that this year. I'm also hoping that I'm going to get the whole of our group to book up for Live Munchkin. Sounds fun.:)

Exactly. She is a woman. There are shops. Problem solved.

We have shops in London. Lots of them

But it's the only angle I've got, she'd like the show too but maybe not a whole day.

Ponder...

Getting closer, folks!

If anyone's heading up on the Friday (like me), do they fancy meeting up for some evening beers and games? I think there's going to be a Battlestar Galactica game at least, there's a couple of folks attending who want to play. I'm staying at the Quality Inn (I think that's what it's called) but the Strathallen is providing open rooms for gaming from Friday afternoon.

I'll be in there after I'm done with techy set up and run throughs.

I'll be there on the saturday. Apparently Ian Livingstone and Steve Jackson will be there, but they didn't say which Steve Jackson.

Anyway, who wants to meet up on saturday, because I don't want to be alone :(

• Upvote 1

It's the UK Steve Jackson from the Fighting Fantasy books not the American one of Munchkin fame.

I've got our little group of 2 geeky dads and 3 kids booked in to play Munchkin on the sunday morning at 11am. Some random lone person has taken the final slot so I hope they're not too disappointed being stuck with us. I'd love to try and meet up with a few of you lovely lot so we'll have to try and sort something.

Remember to take along those games you want to shift. There is a bring and buy stall where you can sell and buy unwanted games. I've sold a few things each year and picked up some bargains as well. You take your games along and check them in with the price you want. They give you a receipt and you can go along later to see if it's sold or if you have to take your unloved game back again. It's run by a charity and they do take a 15% cut so bear that in mind when you price up your games.

Edit: Should we have a role call? Who's definitely booked in?

Edit Edit: TaR, I'll be looking out for you there. My daughter's coming as well and she'll remember you since she keeps reminding me about how rubbish I was at Werewolf when we all played at Debs and Aaron's.

Two weeks to go and I'm excited. There look like there are going to be lots of new games to demo and I'm especially hyped about the two Pratchett based games and the Knizia Star Trek co-op game.

I'm also starting to think about what I might try and get rid of at the bring and buy. Excitement bulding.:)

I'm coming down on the friday with my daughter and we're staying with some friends down the road in Harborne. I'll be picking up the tickets some time on the friday and we'll be there for doors opening on the saturday. First stop will be dropping off my games at the bring and buy stall. Then it's games time!

I'll pm you my number in a minute.

Bet I get my games on the stall before you do ;)

Not that I'll be on site from 8am or anything, oh no.

What games you going to try and shift? I've got one big game to move on, Exalted: Legacy of the Unconquered Sun, and then I'm going to have a bit of a clear out and see what else I can carry on the train.