joeplus

Friday Night Dinner

Yet another new sitcom, eh? Well, I just watched the first episode of this and I'm actually well impressed. One house, one evening, and one of the tightest sitcom plots I've seen recently. Tamsin Greig absolutely nails the disgruntled mother part. It's very trad - sort of Miranda sans fourth wall gags and laugh track.

Anyone else see it? One to watch, I reckon. Makes Episodes, which I was quite enjoying, seem a bit pedestrian.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Felt a little flat and forced to me... Mark Heap is always good value, but the role as the slightly "off" neighbour Jim was a bit obvious. Did enjoy the salt prank. Will give the second episode a chance.

I really enjoiyed it, it was really tight. I'd be interested how long they could keep the same setting thing going, thinking about it though the royale family did it for years.

More Mark Heap is always welcome

The worst day of Robert Popper's life must have been the day the first episode of Grandma's House was aired, and Robert realised the show he was probably too far into producing by then was almost identical. I feel very sorry for him.

Spotted Matthew Holness there, he hasn't been in anything for a while, always excellent.

Nice to see Tamsin Greig further away from her typical role, but Inbetweeners kid is Inbetweeners kid.

I enjoyed Simon Bird in The King is Dead on BBC3, but he doesn't really ACT, does he?

Episode 2 was OK, seem to be going for the comedy in awkwardness/embarrasment target and hitting fairly frequently

I really like Robert Popper, but this isn't much cop. I quite like the family dynamic, and there are a few laughs from the Dad, but it's pretty weak. You can tell he was probably forced to rewrite it over and over again until it was the short of shit that the plebs could swallow without much effort.

Plus, when I watch it, I keep thinking "IT'S JIM "THE DEVIL" ROSENTHAL'S SON AND HE LOOKS JUST LIKE HIM". But I don't shout it as much.

There were some really funny bits in the first episode - assuming it was the first episode, I just randomly watched it on 4OD. The one where the dad keeps looking down his pants with a magnifying glass. The texts from the kid's "mum" made me piss myself (like "You came out of my BUM"), and the bit where they were all sat in the car screaming in pain at the loud music was hilarious when seen from the neighbour's point of view.

It captured the eccentricities of a family really well. It wasn't gag after gag, but it was well-observed and had a warm, cosy vibe to it.

• Upvote 3

Really enjoyed this, the brother's relationship is fantastic, though the Dad really shone through as the series progressed.

Have to say though, I wasn't very impressed with the finale. Could see everything coming a mile off and the whole set-up just seemed weird. The forced date was fine in concept, but it was executed by the whole family (especially Mum) in a very surreal way. They all seemed to have no self-awareness and any empathy or tact at all with Adam.

You could argue that the series is based upon this style, but the final ep seemed to go to far the other way. Maybe it got familiar, but it's still a fantastic series and probably the best new comedy I've seen in 2011 (unless I am neglecting something in knee jerk sensationalism). Glad it's got a second series; stand out bit of this one for me was Johnny chasing Adam around the house when on the phone to the girl, culmination in framing Adam going for a poo while on the phone.

I found myself just waiting for Mark Heap to come on. Every episode. Just like Green Wing.

See, I found the opposite... while some of the scenes with Jim were funny (the basket of green fruit, the dog sniffing Gran), in general it didn't seem like a worthy role for Heap.

I think the entire series was pretty predictable, I don't mean that as a disservice though I really enjoined it all. In fact the stand out moment for me were the bin bag scenes, which were both entirely predictable. The show works the way they all play off each other so well, as much as I love Mark Heap his scenes didn't fit and seemed quite odd. His flinches at his dog made me laugh every time though.

Back on Sunday(?) nights. I've put the synopsis in spoilers because it seemingly just describes the entire episode. <_<

SITCOM: Friday Night Dinner

On: Channel 4 HD (140)

Date: Sunday 7th October 2012

Time: 22:05 to 22:35 (30 minutes long)

Buggy. Series 2, episode 1.

The award-winning comedy series returns to Channel 4 with a new six-part series. When Jonny discovers Adam's old diary, he learns a terrible secret: when Adam was 11, he secretly dumped Jonny's beloved 'Pandy' panda bear toy in the dustbin, never to be seen again. This unleashes a war in the house, with Jonny threatening to destroy Adam's equally beloved, old rabbit toy, Buggy. Fights rage in every room, with mum and dad unable to control their two twenty-something sons, who have become 13 again. Desperate to hide his precious comfort toy from his angry brother, Adam gives Buggy to just about the worst person possible - neighbour, Jim. Meanwhile, dad will not stop sneezing on everything. Later, when dinner is served, dad sneezes over all the food and mum's delicious Friday night dinner is ruined. But what happens when hopeless Jim accidentally loses Buggy in a lake? And why is Jim speaking Chinese? Writer/.

(Editor's Choice, High Definition, Subtitles, Audio Described, 4 Star)

Starring: Simon Bird, Tamsin Greig, Paul Ritter, Mark Heap

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Marked By: 'New Comedies and Sitcoms' and 'Category: Sitcom' markers

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Excerpt taken from DigiGuide - the world's best TV guide available from http://www.getdigiguide.tv/?p=1&r=8627

Copyright © GipsyMedia Limited.

The thing that always got me is that these guys are going for a dinner at their parents house that presumably they grew up in. And they knock on the door and wait to be let in? I mean what?

So Channel 4 jump on the daft scheduling bandwagon. Enjoyed season 1, but worried that it's going to stretch too much...

8 out of 10 cats on a monday now too. I dont get it.

So Channel 4 jump on the daft scheduling bandwagon. Enjoyed season 1, but worried that it's going to stretch too much...

Whoever you are, stop what youre doing and try and catch last nights episode.

VERY funny, in fact its the funniest thing ive seen for a bit. And im not even that keen on the series...

" IVE BEEN SEXUALLY MOLESTED! " ( Mr Morris lol.gif) youll have to go onto youtube to watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iW1ZopNqxwQ&oref=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2F&has_verified=1

• Upvote 1

Oh, I've been watching the new series, just bizarre that they put Friday Night Dinner on a Sunday. It's also a bad slot for comedy.

My biggest problem with it is Mark Heap as the neighbour, Jim. You know he is going to make an appearance and you just want them to get it over with. It's not Mark's fault, he still does a good job as the weird neighbour, but he is getting typecast.

The thing that always got me is that these guys are going for a dinner at their parents house that presumably they grew up in. And they knock on the door and wait to be let in? I mean what?

I'd not noticed that but this week Adam used a key to get in.

Sunday nights with Mr.Morris was very funny though.

• Upvote 1

Not every week. Adam used his key to the door this week.