rllmuk
jonnyalpha

What are you playing?

It's a good haul! And yes. That site is responsible for me spending a LOT of money :) . The Captain Sonar review was amazing too, but I think it would suffer the same fate as Space Cadets: Dice Duel in my house- it needs too many people to play it properly.

I'm going to be trying the new Warhammer Quest tonight. Can't wait!

Arstechnica did a nice round up of the best games and Gencon too, if anyone is interested - http://arstechnica.co.uk/gaming/2016/08/the-hottest-new-board-games-from-gen-con-2016/

Vast sounds fascinating.

• Upvote 1

Anyone here got much experience of Agricola? The revised 2016 edition looks like it might make it onto my Xmas list. Does it work well with just 2 players? Most of my gaming at home is with my daughter, and she can be put off by long play times, so I was also looking at All Creatures Great & Small but it seems to be universally unavailable at the moment.

2 hours ago, sdmilne said:

Warhammer Quest looks really good.  I'm hoping to get in a game of Deception Murder in Hong Kong or City of Spies tonight alongside some Pandemic Legacy. 

Warhammer Quest is *excellent*.  But the rule book is pretty rubbish - and only explains half the game.  The concern here is that it is no longer being supported by FFG... it's all gone a bit quiet and it's screaming out for an expansion.

2 hours ago, scottcr said:

Warhammer Quest is *excellent*.  But the rule book is pretty rubbish - and only explains half the game.  The concern here is that it is no longer being supported by FFG... it's all gone a bit quiet and it's screaming out for an expansion.

I've got it but still haven't played it yet.  I'll likely play it solo the first time.  How obvious do the things omitted by the rule book become exactly?

28 minutes ago, sdmilne said:

I've got it but still haven't played it yet.  I'll likely play it solo the first time.  How obvious do the things omitted by the rule book become exactly?

I must admit - not at all obvious.  I really struggled with it to start with but, in reality, it's *very* straight forward.  It just takes a lot of bouncing around the reference guide before you realise just how straightforward it actually is.  Would recommend watching some play guides on youtube.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Andy_Why said:

It's a good haul! And yes. That site is responsible for me spending a LOT of money :) . The Captain Sonar review was amazing too, but I think it would suffer the same fate as Space Cadets: Dice Duel in my house- it needs too many people to play it properly.

I'm going to be trying the new Warhammer Quest tonight. Can't wait!

Arstechnica did a nice round up of the best games and Gencon too, if anyone is interested - http://arstechnica.co.uk/gaming/2016/08/the-hottest-new-board-games-from-gen-con-2016/

Vast sounds fascinating.

Oh, Last Friday looks RIGHT up my street!

9 minutes ago, scottcr said:

I must admit - not at all obvious.  I really struggled with it to start with but, in reality, it's *very* straight forward.  It just takes a lot of bouncing around the reference guide before you realise just how straightforward it actually is.  Would recommend watching some play guides on youtube.

The whole thing with having a rule book AND a reference guide is a bit off putting.  The rule book should explain things well enough so the guide is not needed.  Fury of Dracula has the same.

6 hours ago, Padster said:

Anyone here got much experience of Agricola? The revised 2016 edition looks like it might make it onto my Xmas list. Does it work well with just 2 players? Most of my gaming at home is with my daughter, and she can be put off by long play times, so I was also looking at All Creatures Great & Small but it seems to be universally unavailable at the moment.

I have, but not the new 2016 reprint. It's heavy. And stress inducing. But utterly, utterly fantastic. All creatures great and small is a fantastic 2-player game, and lightens it up significantly, with a greatly reduced playtime. Two player regular Agricola can be utterly brutal (as can any number of players), unlike acbas. It's worth noting that the 2016 version doesn't have the family variant included or play up to 5 players, unlike the previous version. You can get the family version on its own, but that seems pretty pointless to me- even my parents wanted to move onto the full game the third time we played it.

• Upvote 1

I've been interested in Vast for a while, but it looks like it will be out of stock for a long time. Last Friday looks good, the only thing putting me off is the time investment (each game has four 45 minute phases. That'd be a hidden movement game longer than Fury of Dracula, which to me already outstays its welcome). Interested in Scythe, but want to play it first. Got captain sonar on order. The Dragon and Flagon is one I'm very interested in as well.

I've mostly played Agricola with two and it works brilliantly. It's the best game. Although I do prefer it slightly with a semi-official change which uses the 'take two different building resources' card from the family game. I played a lot of games without this beforehand and still loved it, but that card eases the possibility of denial strategies (particularly for clay) being too prominent in two player.

On 19 August 2016 at 18:39, Professor Rob said:

If you think Agricola might be a bit too cutthroat or stressful (it commonly gets referred to as Misery Farm), then Caverna might be worth a look.

Oof. Misery Farm claims another victim. My family are pretty great at playing games in the right spirit, but just now somebody taking the clay oven has caused a major drama, a well laid plan scuppered, lots of tears and "now I can't feed my family".

Such a good game but I think we might have to leave off for a while before someone gets a pitchfork in the face. It was tough being a farmer in the 17th Century. 

• Upvote 2

Not that well laid a plan then! Everyone knows what resources everyone has at all times. If someone else has the resources for the thing you need to do and you're going to be behind them in the turn order then you have to expect it. Agricola is harsh, but fair.

Ha! Yeah, I assumed she was young and was only being semi-serious. It's true though. There's loads of games where you get fucked by something you couldn't see coming. Agricola doesn't do that, your mistakes are generally on you. That's partly what makes it harsh, but it (should) stop it from being frustrating.

• Upvote 2

I've finally got my teeth into Dominant Species today (typically I glance at the instructions of any complex board game and run away in horror at least a couple of times).  Actually, it's not too tricky at all to grasp, and as with all good games, the different strategies for success only gradually make themselves apparent.  I had two games playing the full six animals and whilst the scoring was probably a bit inaccurate here and there, the game board developed significantly differently between the games, with much less glaciation and species adaptation in the second game.  It's a bit tempting at first to focus too much on the big smack-downs offered by Domination, and potentially a waste of an AP since the board can be very different between the beginning of the round and the point where you have such an opportunity - creating and hopping onto glaciers or simply expanding the playing field can pay dividends too, not to mention taking full advantage of each animal's bonus skill.  

I'll certainly put this under the microscope in future plays now that the basic mechanics and table organisation are sorted.  

I've been playing some Snowdonia, a lovely euro from 2012.  I picked it up at The UK Games Expo, and I'm thoroughly enjoy it's tricky decision making, and won the fact that it really might not be obvious who'll win 'til you tally up at the end.  There can be some surprisingly dramatic plays during a game - our last one having a masterly use of the 'move a labourer' card that had the rest of us shouting 'Nooooooo!' having had our carefully planned strategies scuppered.  Really great game, with really mundane box art.

Also been playing lots of Epic Card Game (the MTG near-clone), and bloody loving it.  Derivative it may be, but even randomly dealt 30 cards each from the deck is giving loads of fun.  Two player only though, it's not good multiplayer (at least in the free-for-all mode we tried).

Had a game of City Of Horror last night for the first time in ages.  We laughed a lot as it ruined our friendships.

• Upvote 2

Played The Big Book of Madness last night.

We enjoyed it. We have played a few co-op games in recent weeks. We rate this one alongside Ghost Stories, although having only played it once it is difficult to know how long its legs are.

Our main comparison for contrast was with Robinson Crusoe, which we played a couple of weeks ago. We found TBBoM to be more fun because you do feel yourselves getting stronger as you progress and the tension is in the question of whether you will be strong enough to make it to the end while keeping the debilitating effect of Madness at bay. With Robinson Crusoe it is like you are striving hard but struggling anyway. Starvation and death appears in the distance and creeps towards you with a slow inevitability that you can see coming for some time. It is actually quite depressing, which I am guessing is the point.

Forbidden Island arrived today. We had our first game and it went ok. My wife had the usual panic of if she would understand it or not, but it went well enough. We tried novice and beat it quite easily.

Nice art and mechanics. Will try it again to see how the experience changes on higher difficulty.

My 7 year old boy showed interest when it arrived and asked to see the contents. He's asked if we can play it together, which I'm glad about as that is what I want to do.

Also so see it could very easily be a solo game.

Things like Pandemic has an actual story right?

Regular Pandemic doesn't really have a story. You're moving your guys around the board trying to keep things under control, the mechanics force things to get out of control, you win or lose, that's it. Nice theming though and it works well with the mechanics. 

Pandemic Legacy elaborates on that with Legacy elements (boxes and envelopes to open, stickers to apply etc) and that has more of a story that develops over multiple games. 

I sometimes think Forbidden Island is the purest and best of Matt Leacock's games. Yes, you'll work out how to clock it after a while, but like Minesweeper, it's still fun to play.

I prefer it to Forbidden Desert, which is a bit fiddler and the theme isn't as robust. It's more of a relaxing experience than Pandemic, in which the theme can be kind of oppressive (what with Zika and Ebola in the news, my copy has largely stayed in the box lately).

You're generally not going to get much in the way of story from Eurogames though, except for the narratives you'll craft as you play. This can take a bit of imagination and some people aren't comfortable doing it, but it can make a game more fun, and in some cases help with strategy.

Race for the Galaxy is a fine case in point - you could just blankly play cards for their powers, or you could spin a narrative about your inadvertently created militaristic empire that conquers whole planets in order to create markets for mass-produced novelty tat. The best part is that when you're starting out, focusing on a simple narrative (i.e. explorey mining civilisation who stumble on alien artefacts) can help you pick cards which will combo well, even if you don't know the deck.

That said, I'd avoid that if you're just starting out, as many find the icons intimidating (the game has very little text, preferring initially inscrutable icons, leaving more room for wonderful thematic artwork). San Marco will give you a very similar game in terms of mechanics with no hieroglyphics, but it's thematically weaker (IMO).

Deception: Murder in Hong Kong is a wonderful game of weaving little stories, but it's better with bigger groups and the subject matter is obviously dark, maybe not great for a 7 y/o.

• Upvote 2

(Forbidden Island)

Just realised we didn't remove the flood cards for tiles which had sunk which of course made it quite easy. Oh well, first game is just learning the mechanics. Watched an episode of table top on it which was quite a fun watch.

Will see how my son deals with this. My concern is he is so used to electronic games. I need him to be my tabletop buddy ;) 

Coops are awesome for getting your kids involved. You get to say what they can do and offer advice, ultimately letting them pick the most ridiculous move whilst you grind your teeth. With forbidden desert my youngest has to be the one picking up the parts, regardless of her ability or where she is on the board. :D

And yeah any coop can be played solo, you just control as many characters as you want. Wait until your playing as four investigators in Arkham Horror.... 

Let's just say my son is a bit hyper? Because of this I was concerned about his concentration.

But we really enjoyed playing Forbidden island together and he is looking forward to doing it again on a harder difficulty and different abilities.

A good introduction, and he liked the fact it was coop.

• Upvote 2

Played Spartacus with 5 players tonight. What a game. I've always loved it. Can't recommend it enough. Intrigue. Back stabbing. Combat. The game can turn to so quickly at any time.

• Upvote 1

On 9/7/2016 at 00:16, scottcr said:

Played Spartacus with 5 players tonight. What a game. I've always loved it. Can't recommend it enough. Intrigue. Back stabbing. Combat. The game can turn to so quickly at any time.

I so want to do this again, but pulling enough people together for enough time is proving hard. The game is brilliant, but it pretty ruthless and must be played in the long form for best effect. The long form forces alliances early on, you cannot do anything without them. Then, when the betrayals come, they are so much better. The short form game skips the low influence early stages and thus skips straight to the betraying, rather than the long forms inevitable betraying of someone you have helped and who has helped you, for quite a while.

I need to be able to gather a few ruthless boardgamers over for a long afternoon.

• Upvote 1