Lorfarius

Dungeons & Dragons Thread

The first episode was pretty combat heavy. They had some nice minis. I think it’s unlikely to be to my taste long term, but I’ve watched all of his instructional videos so it’s interesting to see him play. The story heavy / lightly comic style of Chris Perkins is more my sort of thing. I’ve skimread Strongholds and Followers and it’s fine but I doubt it will be used in my game any time soon. Happy to support him as I’ve found his videos really useful.

Playing DnD last night. My Wild Magic Sorc (level 3) is part of a fight against a Monster Stirge and a undead 2 headed dog. Blast them with a spell basically ending the fight...but triggers Wild Magic.

A Modron spawns. (WTF IS THAT is pretty much character and player reaction). DM has to describe while laughing.

New pet!!!

It disappeared after 1 minute :(

Plot point for later! We will find that Modron!

• Upvote 1

WotC is publishing a Stranger Things D&D Starter Set!

FD817208-B42B-4087-8754-02F5F7F63150.jpeg.a2d7cdcdee1b2a3b9058eb3fa56c2fd2.jpeg

Stranger Things themed Dungeons & Dragons: embark on an exciting Dungeons & Dragons adventure, Hunt for the Thessalhydra, "created" By the character Mike from the Netflix original series, Stranger Things

Great game for new Dungeon & Dragons players: whether players are new to D&D, or looking for a new adventure, this Stranger Things themed roleplaying game includes everything a group needs to PLAY

Detailed rules, adventure book and game dice: The exciting adventure book and colorful rulebook contain tons of information on how to play the game, strategy, and tips for players to advance a character beyond the Fifth level, plus 6 Polyhedral dice so you're ready to play

Stranger Things character sheets: play as a favorite stranger things character

Includes 2 Demogorgon figures: The game includes 2 Demogorgon figures, one that players can paint and customize

https://comicbook.com/gaming/2019/02/13/stranger-things-dungeons-dragons-starter-set/

We've finished our family play through of The Lost Mine of Phandelver last night. A heroic final battle, where my amazing god given powers (spirit guardians) more or less defeated everything - which was probably good as my son hadn't scaled the fight down for there only being the three of us and the halfing got trapped for a decent portion of the fight. I think our less than strict interpretations of where players are in relation to creatures probably helped there. Generally, enemies seem to always be "yeah, he's within 5ft of you" which is mostly ok, bar when the rogue actually doesn't want to be within 5ft of them. I'm rationalizing it as a bit like the walking dead, with enemies not being there and then boom! They're all lined up right next to you.. I figure there's only so many mechanics you can try taking on as a new DM anyway.

My son's all in favor of starting up another asap, which other son is cool with (and really wants to be a forest gnome ranger), I'm happy with and wife is resigned to 'enjoying' for the greater good. He'd like a brand new campaign, starting at level 1 if anyone has any suggestions? He's done a bit of googling and is liking the sound of Storm King's Thunder.

Which we'll probably end up doing regardless it that's what he fancies, but I'm a bit concerned it might be too open ended in places. Although I can always just herd people along, it's kind of what I was doing in lmop anyway. Plus this time rather than being the quiet cleric who doesn't like to lead I'm the wildly charismatic bard, who clearly should be leading.

SKT does make a natural transition from LMOP. I’m DMing it at the moment and the biggest challenge for me was the vast size of the open world that’s somewhat underpopulated with encounters. I think I’ve been able to overcome that with a bunch of extra reading about the setting and a bit of smoke and mirrors but it made me appreciate the smaller scale of LMOPs sandbox. 

Curse of Strahd seems like one of the best hardcovers, but gothic horror is not to everyone’s tastes. Tomb of Annihilation has a great plot driver and some atmospheric settings  but is a bit of a race against time, the hex crawl looks a bit long and under populated and finishes with an enormous death trap dungeon, none of which I fancy running. I do fancy running Dragon Heist, but I think I’d only use bits of Mad Mage as I think my players would get bored of being stuck in a dungeon for ages. The other hardcovers seem less appealing to me. For those reasons, I think SKT was a good choice for us. If we do ever finish SKT I think Strahd or Dragon Heist would be my next choices, but maybe by then I’ll want to just run my own. 

Dragon Heist would be worth a look. It is a city based adventure and as such is quite freeform for the players but I think has probably been designed to be a Starter Set alternative and is probably easier to DM than SKT or TOA. It only covers levels 1-5 as written but the Mad Mage dungeon crawl can follow it.