Kindle shop Recommendations

choddo

12 hours ago, chris on the moon said:

At the moment I'm obsessed with death, time etc. Could someone recommend me books to read that are nice and have little or no death and might help take my mind off things and feel nice?

Read ‘Puckoon’ by Spike Milligan, or ‘Indiscretions of Archie’ by PG Wodehouse. They have been my lifetime constants as go-to feel good books.

90B68D59-D0CF-4656-ADC1-9790038BB3A0.thumb.jpeg.14558ac7e7b8ec8423bda982195ac4ec.jpeg

The Rage of Dragons by Evan Winter is one of the Daily Deals today. I've been considering trying a new fantasy series (having not read one in ages).

This one any good?

On 22/07/2021 at 11:03, ZOK said:

Read ‘Puckoon’ by Spike Milligan, or ‘Indiscretions of Archie’ by PG Wodehouse. They have been my lifetime constants as go-to feel good books.

90B68D59-D0CF-4656-ADC1-9790038BB3A0.thumb.jpeg.14558ac7e7b8ec8423bda982195ac4ec.jpeg

Thanks, I read the reviews of these and they weren't great, so I've bought a best of wodehouse compilation 

Just now, chris on the moon said:

Thanks, I read the reviews of these and they weren't great, so I've bought a best of wodehouse compilation 

Reviews?! I say they are great, and that’s all anyone ever needs to know.

Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro is 99p in the daily deal today. It's an acknowledged classic so a lot of people have probably already read it but if it's passed you by, it's well worth getting.

The final part of the Three Body Problem trilogy is also on offer for 99p today, which I heartily recommend (along with the first two books, which you’ll want to read first of course!). 

Best series I’ve read in a long time and looking forward to going back and reading it all again some time soon. 

First week of the month so it's time for my Amazon First Reads selection - it's full of all the usual hits:

- She thought she had the perfect life BUT NO

- A shocking murder that is also strangely sexy

- A beautiful romance for these 19th century slave traders

- Thinly-veiled rewrite of Jane Eyre / Pride and Prejudice / Beowulf / whatever

- This young man lives life on the edge and thinks he is immune to commitment BUT NO

Has anyone ever found anything worth reading out of any of these selections? Every month it's exactly the same drivel, I reluctantly choose one that goes on my Kindle pile of shame and never gets read.

1 hour ago, Garwoofoo said:

Has anyone ever found anything worth reading out of any of these selections? Every month it's exactly the same drivel, I reluctantly choose one that goes on my Kindle pile of shame and never gets read.

Against the Inquisition was one years ago, it's a great book. But you are right, it's 99% dross. I usually don't even bother adding them.

1 hour ago, Garwoofoo said:

Has anyone ever found anything worth reading out of any of these selections?

There's some sort of sci-fi one this month, right? I chose that, but with low expectations. Most months (I can't remember when I last did) I don't choose any of them, doesn't seem worth it.

On 02/08/2021 at 07:47, Stopharage said:

This month's offerings went up late yesterday. Always a good idea to have an excuse for your tardiness. Not particularly exciting, a 99p spend on Romesh's Guardian columns for me. 

The Fifth Element by Terry Pratchett £1.99

Wintersmith by Terry Pratchett £1.99

Lanny by Max Porter £2.49

Nomad by Alan Partridge

Coming Undone by Terri White £3.49

Capital by John Lanchester £2.89

The Buried Giant by Kazuo Ishiguro £2.99

A Thousand Moons by Sebastian Barry £3.49

Empire in Black and Gold by Adrian Tchaichovsky

The Terror by Dan Simmons£1.99

As Good As It Gets: Lessons from a Reluctant Adult by Romesh Ranganathan

Uncanny Valley: A Memoir by Anna Wiener

Adolf Hitler: My Part in His Downfall by Spike Milligan

What I Talk About When I Talk About Running by Haruki Murukami £1.99

Confess by Rob Halford

Robbo: Now You're Going to Believe Us by Andy Robertson

The Pursuit of William Abbey by Claire North

About a Boy by Nick Hornby

Son of a Silverback by Russel Kane £1.99

Armada by Ernest Cline

Sir Gawain and the Green Knight by JRR Tolkien £1.99

A Dream About Lightning Bugs by Ben Folds

Gender Games by Juno Dawson

Mother of Eden by Chris Beckett

Howl's Moving Castle by Diana Wynne Jones

The Virgin Suicides by Jeffrey Eugenides

Metro 2033 by Dmitry Glukhovsky

The Children of Men by PD James £2.49

Star Wars: Rise of Skywalker by Rae Carson

Dead Famous: An Unexpected History of Celebrity by Greg Jenner

On Anarchism by Noam Chomsky

The Post Office by Charles Bukowski

The Martian Chronicles by Raymond Bradbury

Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman

Life in Pieces by Dawn O'Porter

Sapiens. A Brief History of Mankind by Yuval Noah Harari £1.99

Daisy Jones and The Six by Taylor Jenkins Reid

Summerwater by Sarah Moss

The Trouble With Peace by Joe Abercrombie

Loose Head: Confessions of an (un) Professional Rugby Player by Joe Marler

Lifespan: Why We Age and Why We Don't Have To by David Sinclair

Conclave by Robert Harris

I always think Post Office is the most accessible Bukowski because it’s the most consistently funny. A 99p bargan for the ages.

Pat Nevin’s autobiography is 99p today.

It’s superb and I’d be surprised if it didn’t end up as the William Hill sports book of the year (or equivalent).  He’s a footballer  first but a cultured soul, known for djing at indie and rock clubs, frequents museums and has a healthy knowledge and scepticism of football. 

On 02/08/2021 at 12:04, Alexlotl said:

Yuss, I've been waiting for Howl's Moving Castle, that's the whole triology acquired for £3 now.

I finished reading this last night, and it’s really excellent. Comfortably better than the already good film, which is about 30% book and 70% Miyazaki. 

On 03/08/2021 at 19:53, ZOK said:

I always think Post Office is the most accessible Bukowski because it’s the most consistently funny. A 99p bargan for the ages.

Aren't his books just full of horrible misogyny and rape? I know it's a window into another world but I just felt uncomfortable.

1 hour ago, Timmo said:

Aren't his books just full of horrible misogyny and rape? I know it's a window into another world but I just felt uncomfortable.

There’s a lot of that, but then there’s a lot of hatred of everything, including himself. There’s also a lot of startlingly beautiful lyricism about life, love, authenticity and art, as well as valuable and genuine insight into the human condition and psyche. Certainly not for everyone, but I don’t really trust anyone who dismisses him on the basis his writing often isn’t about nice people or nice things.

He’s a superlative, and endlessly funny writer - easily one of the most significant American writers of the 20th Century. There’s no rape in Post Office that I can recall, but if you’ve not read it and you don’t, you are really missing out on a delightfully funny and charming work.

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, milko said:

It’s pretty damn good too. I’m sure there was an edition that had the second book included, mind you, worth checking a price on that. 

Done, and cheers for posting @Sane