Christmas!

• 2 years later...

I'm at my parents this year along with one sister and my brother. My dad and I generally do the bulk of the cooking, pissed, and shout at everyone to help prep. We will be having the following feast for 5 of us (4 meat eaters, 1 vegetarian);

To start: 

Foie gras (we live in the south of France so it's not illegal meats) with fig confit and sweet wine

Boring Brother™ will have a carrot, spinach and tuna terrine, which is really fucking delicious, so I'll probably steal a bit too and then get shouted at.

The Good Bit:

Turkey

Vegetarian Nut Roast

Stuffing x 3 - Sage and Onion (for v plates); Traditional sausagemeat and sage; Cranberry, apple and sausagemeat

Pigs in Blankets

Roast Parsnips and Carrots

Roast Potatoes (Boring Brother™ will have separate ones, not cooked in duck fat) 

Cauliflower and Leek Cheese

Brussels Sprouts

Yorkshire Pudding

Bread Sauce

Gravy

Dessert:

Homemade Christmas Pudding. Everyone else will have brandy butter, but I'll have custard, everyone will get on at me about how much I have, I'll tell them to fuck off.

Traditional fare, nothing too exciting, just a fuckton of deliciousness and I CANNOT WAIIIIT

You're just right telling them to F off. When it comes to custard, brandy sauce or the like I'm of the opinion that the cake, pudding or sweet is just a necessary evil. I know society judges us harshly for our outsider viewpoint, but they're the ones who are wrong. All of them.

Gone for a 'herb-fed cockerel' from Turner & George this year as no one is massively enamored with turkey, goose is expensive for what you get, and we've had beef rib for the last couple of years so I fancied a change. Essentially just a massive luxury chicken but that's fine tbh.

On 11/21/2017 at 06:50, The Fox said:

Gone for a 'herb-fed cockerel' from Turner & George this year as no one is massively enamored with turkey, goose is expensive for what you get, and we've had beef rib for the last couple of years so I fancied a change. Essentially just a massive luxury chicken but that's fine tbh.

I had a cockerel for Christmas once, was raised in my uncle's neighbours garden so as organic as you can get, was fantastic so you should be in for a treat.

We're going to an orphans Christmas and will be bringing a couple of desserts, haven't decided which yet

We're hosting for the first time this year. I'm never fussed on turkey and don't enjoy feeling bloated and sleepy after a massive lunch so I'm doing a series of tapas courses throughout the afternoon with a selection of wines, beers and cocktails. Will likely do a hot joint for supper with pickles, chutneys and cheeses.

• 2 weeks later...

good xmas food I've encountered so far

Sausages wrapped in bacon in a roll with mustard and stuff from Eat

Pork, stuffing, tatties and gravy wrap where the wrap itself is a big dirty yorkshire pudding down the xmas market

Pork belly bites from M&S xmas section

Shit xmas food I've encountered so far

abysmal microwaved xmas dinner at wetherspoons. Got outvoted by pricks from the office when I wanted to go somewhere nice instead.

Where do people stand on parsnips? I've struggled to enjoy them much in the past. They take up precious oven space and nobody tends to eat them, so in recent years I've made them into a purée, but I'm a bit bored with that.

Anyway, I just had a flash of inspiration and tried them simply cooked in a pan over a high heat with oil and butter. They came out great, really crispy 'cos I cut them into smaller than normal pieces, and really tasty because of the butter:

IMG_6079.thumb.JPG.becf7a128f6ca1c8a78aeb17bf2e04a4.JPGFullSizeRender.thumb.jpg.60ab07b0d433079b907fb2a15e6d0c9f.jpg

So tasty in fact, and so quick. that I'd consider cooking them even when it's not Xmas.

I cooked a Christmas dinner on Saturday for 12 of my friends - it went pretty well apart from the turkey seemed overcooked.  I used a meat thermometer to test the temperature, it was 72 when I took it out, 70 is apparently what cooked should be.  Should I have taken it out around 65 and let it rest, seeing if the temperature would have come up to 70?

2 hours ago, The Hierophant said:

I do them with the potatoes - par boil then roast. 

As is the usual way. But I have a lot of people coming, so I'll be doing a whole tray of potatoes, with no room for parsnips . That's partly why I started doing the purée a couple of years ago, to free up oven space. But I think this new method has all the benefits of roasting (crispy edges), but with none of the disadvantages (lack of oven space), and the added advantage of buttery richness.

I love roasted parsnips but this looks like a good solution for freeing up the oven and also not getting sub-par roasties by over cramming the trays. I've never had them done this way but my Dad caramelises the carrots on the stove by frying in butter and brown sugar :wub:

15 hours ago, emerald fox said:

I love roasted parsnips but this looks like a good solution for freeing up the oven and also not getting sub-par roasties by over cramming the trays. I've never had them done this way but my Dad caramelises the carrots on the stove by frying in butter and brown sugar :wub:

Yeah, it's exactly the same principle. I think  parsnips are probably fine without the brown sugar, but might be worth a try!

The other thing I like about using the hob is that if things aren't going as fast as you like you can whack the flame up and get things toasting immediately, whereas waiting for an oven to get hotter can be very frustrating when it's packed with other stuff.

Basically I only want the turkey in the oven initially, and then I only really want the potatoes in there while the turkey is resting. Although I will have a fillet of beef to finish off and Yorkshires (home made earlier) to warm through.

Cannot eat parsnips. Just about the only food that makes me want to throw up. The worst was when my mum would cook them alongside the spuds and I would accidentally eat one. She also used to put them in stews and tell me to just leave them but even then they tainted the flavour of the stew.

On 12/13/2017 at 14:04, Davros sock drawer said:

Anyway, I just had a flash of inspiration and tried them simply cooked in a pan over a high heat with oil and butter. They came out great, really crispy 'cos I cut them into smaller than normal pieces, and really tasty because of the butter:

That looks like a great idea, would like to give it a try before Christmas day though.  Midweek parsnips it is then.

As my granddad has mobility issues and we have no downstairs toilet, we're going to....a....harvesters for Xmas day as it's close by where he lives and has mobility scooter access. The menu  options for the main course were veggie, turkey or steak + ribs, so we're in for a classy lunch for sure. 

It is sad to not be doing an all the trimmings meal for the family but maybe next year.

I am having steak and ribs.

20 hours ago, oldteadrinker said:

That looks like a great idea, would like to give it a try before Christmas day though.  Midweek parsnips it is then.

I tested it again yesterday, mainly to prove to my Dad that it'd work.

They turned out great again, but two things I would note:

1. If the parsnips are large, take out the fibrous core
  2. Using this method they actually cook through really quickly. 5-10 minutes max. So we're almost into last-minute cookery here. I guess you could keep them warm in the oven though?

Still as yummy as before though.

Ok1 Double Deckers!

I tasted one the other year and just felt like Christmas. Why? I like them. But they are probably my 6th or 7th favourite bar so Im never going to buy one. SO Id only really eat them when they were in my selection boxes as Christmas.

1 hour ago, Davros sock drawer said:

Any particular reason? They don't strike me as particularly Christmassy...

No, they are not at all. Used to get a few packs around this time of year from my uncle who ran a pub. I don't quite know why!

Now I just buy some to have over Christmas time.