Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

There doesn't appear to be an option to remove an custom waypoint

I thought that too, but if you double click anywhere else on the map, the option to remove it appears. :)

Actually, that's on PC (I've switched back to M+KB for a while), but there's surely a console equivalent.

I was running in circles around Whiterun hunting deer, when I noticed a guy running after me. When I stopped he handed me an item and asked me to keep it for him, and he'd kill me if I turned him in. I shrugged and carried on after my deer. Chased it through a bandit camp just as the guy whose property was stolen caught up with me to ask about it. He stood there conversationally while the bandits hacked away at him, then I killed the bandits. My first script-breaking moment :wub:

What I did learn from the session is that hunting is much more effective if you sneak up, because you almost always get a one-shot kill damage bonus.

So what's the situation with the Xbox 360 low textures problem? Here is as much as I know:

THE PROBLEM:

- The textures on Xbox 360 can sometimes be very low-quality, especially the player's hands/weapons.

- Most people think it happens most frequently if the game is installed to the HDD, but some people have experienced it from the disc too.

- Some people have observed that the problem happens - or gets worse - after bringing up and then dismissing the menus.

POSSIBLE SOLUTIONS (but all of them debatable and probably shite) :

- The commonly-suggested solution is to clear the Xbox 360 cache before playing.

- Load up a previous save.

- Play the game from the disc (great, my ancient Arcade 360 will thank me with a RROD if I spend 80 hours playing from the disc!)

- Install the game to a USB stick (the idea is that the flash memory is more stable or less fragmented than the stock HDD)

- Bethesda may or may not be addressing this in the next patch.

So where are we at with this?

Apologies if asked already but does anyone know if this is region free on 360? Im in the States right now and have been bought this as a prezzie. Should I take it back you think?

Yes, a us copy will work on your uk/Europe box. It's not actually region free though, so won't work on say, a Japanese xbox.

Edit: heard conflicting reports, but it will definitely work on a uk/eu console

After a poor starting sequence this has really opened up and I'm loving it now.

How on earth do you use magic though? Does it open up at a certain level.

Press B to bring up the menu, press left to go to the magic tab. Equip whatever spell you happen to have and go burn something!

While it's a tremendous game, its graphically very ropey for a AAA title in 2011. Often it doesn't seem like too big of a step up from the 5 year old Oblivion. I noticed in particular that my character's arm looked terrible when I had equipped the fire magic. Blotchy square textures all over it.

Which skill tree is the perk in? I must have missed it. That's good to know about stamina increasing it, I have a reason to level it up now.

Its in the Pickpocketing tree, called 'deep pockets' I believe and adds another 100 inventory space.

I'm loving it so far, just hit level 10 :D

While it's a tremendous game, its graphically very ropey for a AAA title in 2011. Often it doesn't seem like too big of a step up from the 5 year old Oblivion. I noticed in particular that my character's arm looked terrible when I had equipped the fire magic. Blotchy square textures all over it.

I think it looks fucking amazing with pretty much everything whacked up on maximum (with a few .ini tweaks) on PC. Sure, some of the textures aren't exactly crisp, and it's more noticeable indoors, but the art direction is really top-drawer, and the outdoor environments routinely look fucking stunning. I've spent way too long just standing around staring at the landscape, which says something about how it looks.

I know what you mean - there are moments when environments or textures look gross, and the pop up still drives me insane - but there are so, so many more moments when the scenery is mesmerisingly fucking beautiful. In particular, the game shines when there's lots of, er, vertical shit going on. You know, towns on various different levels, forests at the top of cliffs, waterfalls chucking themselves at rocks miles below. Wide open stretches of horizontal plains, on the other hand, don't look so great and the pop up is a lot more noticeable, which is a shame. Still, visually it really is a significant leap ahead of Oblivion. It's easy to forget just how dated vanilla Oblivion is. I mean...

post-6566-015931300 1321051621_thumb.jpg

After an absorbing few hours in the first village I've decided to make a trip to Whiterun. God, just strolling along following the river as it descends out of the mountain, before leaving the path to stalk deer in the woods is one of those special videogame moments. The water effect is very pretty. I could sit and watch those salmon leaping up the waterfalls for ages. I got murdered after running into some bandits in the mountains, so my earlier feeling that it might be a bit easy was ill founded.

Playing PC version on my laptop hooked up to a (slightly higher res) monitor with 360 controller, which seems like the way to go anyway, the M+K interface is a little fussy. It's gorgeous too, even on my laptop which isn't all that powerful - it can run it at 30FPS on slightly above medium at 1600x900 - some incredible vistas already.

And now back in I go!

This was delivered yesterday but work stopped me from playing.

I finally got around to playing it tonight and...well.....

In all the years I've been playing games my favourite has always been the good old RPG. I finally got around to spending a few hours with Skyrim tonight and it feels as though all those games I've played have been leading to this. I'm in awe.

I've not even done that much, ventured into Bleak Falls Barrow, but even this one quest just gripped me.

I'm probably in full on hyperbole mode but Skyrim just feels...special.

Oh man, it's a little bit good, innit? Playing on PC, I tried giving it a go with the 360 controller but no dice, it felt too clunky. Spent nearly four hours mucking about now. I've just been to Jarl in Whiterun, and trying to clear out the bandits.

I'm getting a very strong Oblivion vibe to this, though, so much so that it feels like Oblivion with (much) prettier graphics. Getting clanged by someone when blocking with a shield is awesome, though.

I'd also like to note that I played in 3rd person and thought it was super. They've done 3rd person right at last :D

3rd person is 100% better than previous Bethesda games. Only problem is when searching for loot the camera may be to far out to see single coins littered about or any other small items.

Yeah I use 3rd person a lot when out wandering about, it's great for taking in the views.

To rotate the camera around your guy, if you're using a controller you hold the right stick clicked in and rotate with either stick. With M+K I think you either hold F or middle mouse button.