rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Harsin

Clapping at the Cinema

There was a bit of a cheer when Kate Winslet got naked in Titanic. But I was watching it as a school trip. Birra cultcha, like.

Some cheers when Superman Returns start credits were on too.

But otherwise I haven't really experienced stupid arseholes that think they're supposed to be participating in the experience.

Seen it happen in the States for years, over here it's a more recent thing. I don't indulge myself but don't have a problem with it, nor can understand why anyone else does.

I don't have a problem with it, I just don't understand it, it doesn't make any sense.

Applause breaks out on occasion at the NFT, usually following screenings of 'event' films (e.g. the restorations of Jodorowsky's Holy Mountain and the 70mm version of Ryan's Daughter).

Can never quite predict which ones are going to get any more than a perfunctory smattering. A screening of Stagecoach pretty much got a standing ovation and there wasn't any filmmakers present, no new print or anything, it was just a terrific crowd pleaser of a movie.

• Upvote 1

There was applause for Avatar when I saw it on an Imax 3D screen in the US. To be honest, given the circumstances I would have been surprised if their hadn't been.

I know applauding movies is silly but that doesn't stop me from doing it in the privacy of my own home. I think I might be physically unable to sit through the final race in Speed Racer without flinging my arms in the air at the end, and giving it a hearty round of applause.

The only time I remember this definitely happening (although it possibly did for Toy Story), was Borat.

Throughout the whole film everyone was laughing along and most clapped at the end.

The only time I remember it was in Manchester Odeon for (one of the) first showings of Star Wars episode 2. It was at the beginning, too - not like it would have been at the end, obviously.

• Upvote 1

I work as a projectionist at a cinema, I love it when people clap at the end of films. It happens quite often where I work. It's not as if I think people are clapping me but it's great to see such a positive reaction from a whole screen of people, a collectively shared happy experience.

We show It's a Wonderful Life every Christmas Eve and I genuinely well up a bit hearing the audience clap at the end.

I always start clapping drunkenly at the end of movies I've enjoyed in other cinemas (much to the embarressment of some of my friends) it's hilarious when people join in. Although I was on my own in my appreciation for Drag Me To Hell, but that was funny in itself. Oh well, I had fun.

• Upvote 7

It happens all the fecking time in the Odeon Southend, no matter the film there is always a few that think it deserves a clap and more often than not whooping, the first time I heard it I thought maybe just maybe it was for me but nope!

Not exactly a film anyone would feel like applauding afterwards. :lol:

Were there any walkouts during the screening? At least 5 people walked out during the film when i saw it as it was getting a bit too much.

I think there might have been a couple of walkouts, aye, but no more than one or two. I guess that, given the fact that it was a preview screening with a Q&A, for which tickets were pretty hard to get, that particular audience had a fair idea of what they were letting themselves in for.

Can't believe I'd forgotten these, but both Whatever Happened To Baby Jane? and Singin' In The Rain got a large round of applause when they were shown around this time last year.

I witnessed it a few times over the 5 years I worked in a cinema. By far the biggest reaction I've seen was for South Park the movie, which had packed out screens of people in absolute hysterics and also much cheering at the end.

Star Wars Episode I got a huge cheer as the certificate appeared, actually, that's a moment when quite a few people cheer.

I was lucky enough (?) to see both Independence Day and Air Force One in the cinema in the US. Quite an experience I can tell you. Cheering when the dog survives, shouting at the screen when someone punched the President in Air Force One. It was amazing. So me and my British friends all cheered when the White House got blown up in Independence Day. That didn't go down so well!

• Upvote 1

The opening night showing of Inception I saw in Bristol got a round of applause at the end, and a little wave of applause at the end of the gravity-defying fight scene. It also got a massive groan/cheer/gasp/yell/laugh at the end too. What a great audience reaction to end on.

Funniest recent memory though was Toy Story 3, in which very near the end, a woman who had obviously been holding it in for too long let out one almighty sob, which was incredibly loud and comically explosive. A couple of seconds later, a gruff sounding Northerner on the other side of the cinema piped up "It's all right pet... they're only toys!". I heard a few sobs coming from round the audience, and quite a few manly coughs and throat-clearings. Including my own.

• Upvote 1

Two instances spring to mind.

1. Hook

The audience participation was mind-blowing. I thought the cinema would explode, at the point where the portly black kid is used as a human bowling ball.

2. Air Force One

I saw this in an underground theatre in Washington DC.

The scene where Glenn Close's Vice President is informed that all the terrorists are dead and she has to stop the Russians from releasing Radek, the chap this whole furore is over. A rather large African American man stood up and shouted "JUST MAKE THE DAMN CALL, LADY!!"

• Upvote 3

2. Air Force One

I saw this in an underground theatre in Washington DC.

The scene where Glenn Close's Vice President is informed that all the terrorists are dead and she has to stop the Russians from releasing Radek, the chap this whole furore is over. A rather large African American man stood up and shouted "JUST MAKE THE DAMN CALL, LADY!!"

:lol:

That sounds like the kind of thing that would happen in a movie.

The only film I can remember hearing clapping at was Pulp Fiction.

I remember wolf whistles at the start of the original Superman motion picture for um, Valerie Perrine. I didn't know what was going on, but then I was only 4 at the time.

When reading American film sites and forums it's pretty common to read about audiences applauding/booing the screen during the film. If you did that around here everyone would think your were a mental and you'd probably be politely ushered out of the screening.

Does this happen in other parts of Britain of is it purely an American phenomenon? Anybody who's been to America seen this behaviour in action?

When I went to the cinema to see the second LOTR film, a lot of people clapped.

I didn't.

Went to see Avatar twice in IMAX and both times the audience clapped, cheered, whistled and took their clothes off. Well maybe not taking their clothes off but they were certainly excited!

I wanted to clap after seeing Inception today as I thought it was a really well done movie in all regards so ya. But we went to see it at 11:30 in the morning so there weren't a whole lot of people there. Peer pressure and all... :rolleyes:

EDIT: I also began humming/singing the main theme to my girlfriend after we walked outside the theater to a point of, according to her, annoying and embarrassing levels.

• Upvote 1

Went to see Avatar twice in IMAX and both times the audience clapped, cheered, whistled and took their clothes off. Well maybe not taking their clothes off but they were certainly excited!

I wanted to clap after seeing Inception today as I thought it was a really well done movie in all regards so ya. But we went to see it at 11:30 in the morning so there weren't a whole lot of people there. Peer pressure and all... :rolleyes:

EDIT: I also began humming/singing the main theme to my girlfriend after we walked outside the theater to a point of, according to her, annoying and embarrassing levels.

Do you mean? BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRWWW BRRWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW BURWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWM

• Upvote 1

I've had it at quite a few screenings.

My mate inadvertently started a round of applause at the end of bowling for columbine. He has that habit of clicking his fingers in a series of clicks followed by a clap when he's about to get up or go do something. This set off the row in front of us and before you knew it everyone was at it.

I do always find it strange when one goes off, I love the site of a clapper with a bemused look on their face who is purely clapping because others are.

Never in a regular screening at a multiplex, but it's pretty much taken for granted every time I've been to any kind of special screening at an arthouse cinema - especially if someone involved in the production is there. I mean, that kind of makes sense because the audience is directly showing their appreciation to the director or whoever. Sometimes they do applaud when it's just a showing of a classic.

I have to admit though, in the past when I've seen a particularly brilliant moment I have found myself with the urge to give a little clap, but I've always refrained.

I've seen it once and a half.

The first time was after War of The Worlds. I saw it in America and the audience clapped, hooted and hollered after the film (God knows why, it was shit).

The "half" was one screening here. I went to see the first Iron Man film with a few mates. We'd had a few beers before we went. After the showing, one of my mates stood up and yelled, "Fuck Yeahhhhhhh" and proceeded to clap. About three other people clapped two or three times. My mate stood there like a fool the entire time the credits rolled. The joke was on the rest of the crowd that left (probably because of him) because we saw the sneaky bit after the credits rolled (which we had no idea was coming). They did not!

I`ve been to see films in the US where they`ve wooped and hollered at the fucking soft drink commercials..

I also told a US person what I thought of such stuff, and she tried to defend it as "a passion thing" , it seems you`re not enjoying the movie unless you`re self consciously telling everyone else in the room that you are.

I went to Leicester Square when the Star Wars special editions were released for the first showing, and it was fucking annoying the amount of noise people were making. We knew they tripped the fucking AT-AT over so why are you hollering like monkeys you fucking eejits. I did get to sit next to Bjork for Return of the Jedi though, so it wasn't all bad. Frigid cow didn't even try it on with me though.

• Upvote 1