rllmuk
RubberJohnny

Minecraft - Better Together update now available

Ooh that's even better.

Obviously play whatever's gonna make you happiest, that's kinda the point but I just felt it's a little too shallow if you don't have to go hunt out resources, especially those required to craft.

Well this sucks. The super duper graphics thing has been canceled. I didn't realize that wasn't already out, and just assumed I didn't have it because I've got a wonky old original XB1. 

It always bothered me that I didn’t understand how they were supposed to actually make Super Duper possible on on anything but PC. I’ve played with path tracing on PC before and it decreased the fps from 500+ fps in vanilla mode to 20-40 fps with path tracing. And that was on a fresh map with no buildings and red stone mechanics going on. The consoles can barely maintain 60 fps on a severely cut version of the vanilla game so how they were planning to do it is beyond me. Streaming the game is the only way I can think of, but Minecraft doesn’t really work with the slightest of lag.

I don't think the plan was any sort of ray/path tracing. Just major normal graphic improvements to the textures and lighting.

And nothing of value was lost, IMHO. I wonder if they decided it didn't make sense from an aesthethic viewpoint. Minecraft charm is in it's low-tech visuals, simply ramping it up with loads of bells and whistles can only detract from that. A block based game with volumetric clouds and super realistic water is a bit of an absurdity. The PCs mods look more clever than beautiful, I think.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

16 hours ago, TehStu said:

Well this sucks. The super duper graphics thing has been canceled. I didn't realize that wasn't already out, and just assumed I didn't have it because I've got a wonky old original XB1. 

Hugely disappointing.

The game really needed it.

I wonder if we’ll see it in Minecraft 2 as an exclusive for the next Xbox.

I was really looking forward to the graphical update, how disappointing. My PC certainly can't do any of this newfangled ray-tracing stuff, but the "super duper" update wasn't going to be ray-tracing, it was just current-gen shaders and lighting and stuff. That would still need a decent graphics card, but I assumed that was the intention. I assumed that they were making the super duper graphics as an option for those who could run it... not cancel it just because they couldn't get it running for everyone on cheap tablets and phones.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, grindmouse said:

wonder if we’ll see it in Minecraft 2 as an exclusive for the next Xbox.

This doesn't really make sense with Microsoft's services approach to pretty much everything. I'm just really surprised this wasn't an optional extra for systems capable of rendering it, not unlike a texture pack. 

For some reason (insert conspiracy theory about Twitch streamer MS moneyhats here), Minecraft appears to be having a resurgence at the moment. Many popular streamers and YouTubers are starting new series, and there's a big focus on multiplayer server content.

Having two kids they're now wanting to play this a lot more, so I'm getting dragged in myself to play along with them.

Anyone else?

4 hours ago, tyagi said:

For some reason (insert conspiracy theory about Twitch streamer MS moneyhats here), Minecraft appears to be having a resurgence at the moment. Many popular streamers and YouTubers are starting new series, and there's a big focus on multiplayer server content.

Having two kids they're now wanting to play this a lot more, so I'm getting dragged in myself to play along with them.

Anyone else?

Yahe, this has been going on for a few weeks now. My kids and I started a new server a couple of weeks ago and we’ve been playing daily. It’s actually great to be back playing minecraft and I really would’ve loved a new Rllmuk server, maybe with a Discord to go with it.

My teenage kids are also both playing again after previously stating that this was ‘for babies’.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Mike1812 said:

Does the ps4 version still get updates?

Yep, but it is in its whole separate dev stream, so you aren't quite sure what is coming.

After some advice for a friend of mine who young son is having problems with his minecraft game. He sent me the below, ignore "DVD" its the PS4 version he is playing...

"had a Minecraft DVD and on further investigation it seems to be a "region all" game. It got broken and so we bought a new one from Argos which turns out to be a "region 2" game. When we load up the disk and install the game it loads and installs as a complete new game, it doesn’t link to the old game that is there. When he tries to open his saves none exist with the new game and they all still sit with the old game. I can still see all the old saves but cant get them linked to the new region 2 disk."

Any thoughts on the above? I've never played Minecraft on the PS4 so not sure at all, I'm assuming it something to do with the region stuff.

Any thoughts appreciated.

To be honest, that makes absolutely no sense. PS4 games are region free, and it's in fact the only console that didn't have the schism of the two different versions. Are you sure they don't actually have an XBox? Because what they describe makes sense if they went from the old version to the Better Together version, but as I say that hasn't happened on PS4.

Or.. do they have a PS3? That whole slightly different game versions not seeing each others saves happened quite a lot last gen. Not heard of it on PS4, but I guess it might be a thing.

EDIT: Is it possible they bought the Telltale Minecraft game? Though that's even more tenuous!

• Upvote 1

Racking my brains and I wonder if they maybe picked up a grey import from Asia or somewhere for the original, and it identifies as a different version? If it's something like that, they are probably out of luck I'm afraid.

• Upvote 1

The fact the new one is installing a whole new session of Minecraft seems strange as well, its already on the PS4.

He sent me these pic of the backs showing the different regions...

One has the ESRB rating so is likely and american copy the other has "eu.playstation.com" on it so a uk copy. He might be as well just hunting down another american copy i think.

region2.jpg

regionall.jpg

32 minutes ago, memories said:

The fact the new one is installing a whole new session of Minecraft seems strange as well, its already on the PS4.

He sent me these pic of the backs showing the different regions...

One has the ESRB rating so is likely and american copy the other has "eu.playstation.com" on it so a uk copy. He might be as well just hunting down another american copy i think.

region2.jpg

regionall.jpg

EDIT: I'm an idiot, ignore me.

13 hours ago, PC Master Race said:

"Waytwacing in minecwaft"

Why did they get the two people in the company who can't pronounce their 'R's to do a video where they say raytracing so many times?