Jump to content

Minecraft - Better Together update now available


Recommended Posts

  • 1 month later...

Dumb parent minecraft question here. 

 

My son is going round to a minecraft party where the host has a PC and is intending to host a server on Realms. 

 

My son needs to take a device to join up and play. He has a PC which I could take over there which would no doubt do the job but is quite a hassle. 

 

We do have a Mac a Switch and an iPad. Would any of those be suitable devices to sit in the same house at a minecraft party and play? Or is PC the only option? 

Link to post
Share on other sites

if it is bedrock edition (windows 10 version) of Minecraft and realms then Switch or iPad should work. BAsically bedrock windows 10 edition is compatible across most devices (Switch, Xbox, PS4 tablet etc)so that you can all play together on the same realms.

 

How modern is the ipad and can it download Minecraft from the app store? I believe Minecraft is compatible from iOS 8 and up

 

Switch.   Minecraft is on the Nintendo store that is the bedrock edition.

 

In both instances I think you need a Minecraft account on the bedrock edition (which is a bit like an xbox gamertag). Then need to add the gamertag/account of the person running the realm so they can invite you.

 

If you haven't setup minecraft at all before (bedrock) then it might be worth talking to the parent doing the realm and asking if you can connect before the party to make sure it all hooks up. Given the technical issues that can arise with connecting to a friends realm that party sounds like an IT nightmare :D

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Clipper said:

if it is bedrock edition (windows 10 version) of Minecraft and realms then Switch or iPad should work. BAsically bedrock windows 10 edition is compatible across most devices (Switch, Xbox, PS4 tablet etc)so that you can all play together on the same realms.

 

How modern is the ipad and can it download Minecraft from the app store? I believe Minecraft is compatible from iOS 8 and up

 

Switch.   Minecraft is on the Nintendo store that is the bedrock edition.

 

In both instances I think you need a Minecraft account on the bedrock edition (which is a bit like an xbox gamertag). Then need to add the gamertag/account of the person running the realm so they can invite you.

 

If you haven't setup minecraft at all before (bedrock) then it might be worth talking to the parent doing the realm and asking if you can connect before the party to make sure it all hooks up. Given the technical issues that can arise with connecting to a friends realm that party sounds like an IT nightmare :D

 


That is really helpful. iPad might be a good option as I have a Pro and you can sync PS4 controllers to it now. 
 

I will try and get a test done beforehand. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Clipper said:

if it is bedrock edition (windows 10 version) of Minecraft and realms then Switch or iPad should work. BAsically bedrock windows 10 edition is compatible across most devices (Switch, Xbox, PS4 tablet etc)so that you can all play together on the same realms.

 

How modern is the ipad and can it download Minecraft from the app store? I believe Minecraft is compatible from iOS 8 and up

 

Switch.   Minecraft is on the Nintendo store that is the bedrock edition.

 

In both instances I think you need a Minecraft account on the bedrock edition (which is a bit like an xbox gamertag). Then need to add the gamertag/account of the person running the realm so they can invite you.

 

If you haven't setup minecraft at all before (bedrock) then it might be worth talking to the parent doing the realm and asking if you can connect before the party to make sure it all hooks up. Given the technical issues that can arise with connecting to a friends realm that party sounds like an IT nightmare :D

 


So apparently this little bastard hosting the party has Minecraft Java, not bedrock. 
 

So if I’m right this means it’s only compatiable with Windows, Linux and OSX?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Yiggy said:


So apparently this little bastard hosting the party has Minecraft Java, not bedrock. 
 

So if I’m right this means it’s only compatiable with Windows, Linux and OSX?

 

yep that's right

 

personally I wouldnt be using Minecraft Java for a party thing as it limits you to PCs and laptops and how many of them can lug those over.

 

 

I used to be quite evangelical about Java version but now I onyl really use it when I want to play modded minecraft.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Clipper said:

yep that's right

 

personally I wouldnt be using Minecraft Java for a party thing as it limits you to PCs and laptops and how many of them can lug those over.

 

 

I used to be quite evangelical about Java version but now I onyl really use it when I want to play modded minecraft.


This little sod is a fiddler so no doubt uses it for mods. Looks like I might have to cart his gaming PC over there. Oh well. 
 

Do you think Java edition would run well with a decent frame rate on an early 2015 MacBook Pro with standard intel graphics or is it likely to be a bit choppy?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Yiggy said:


This little sod is a fiddler so no doubt uses it for mods. Looks like I might have to cart his gaming PC over there. Oh well. 
 

Do you think Java edition would run well with a decent frame rate on an early 2015 MacBook Pro with standard intel graphics or is it likely to be a bit choppy?

java minecraft is cpu and ram bound usually so it depends on cpu and ram.

 

I have no idea on mac performance but I know mods will test cpu and ram pretty hard on a java minecraft install.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

We're having a right game with my daughter's laptop and Minecraft Windows 10 edition (not Java). Up until recently it ran fine - it's an older laptop but has a dedicated graphics card and has no issue running the likes of The Sims 4. 

 

My other daughter has an old Dell Optiplex with Intel on-board graphics. She can run the game at close to 60fps with almost no issue. The laptop begins like that, then slowly gets choppier until it's an unplayable 5 frames a second mess. Sometimes it rights itself, other times it just continues on like that until you quit. Altering any graphics option has no effect, the fault is still there. Happens on single player or if she is in multiplayer.

 

Seems this is an issue with Minecraft W10 edition, but no one actually knows what causes it or how to fix it. We've updated the graphics drivers, turned off updates being pulled from other sources, turned off hyperthreading optimisation and ensured Minecraft is using the dedicated card to run. Still no joy. All those were solutions offered by various forums across the internet. I think my next step is repairing/resetting Windows back to a fresh install. 

 

The problem doesn't affect any other game she plays. Frustrating for sure.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 months later...
On 14/01/2020 at 08:17, Clipper said:

if it is bedrock edition (windows 10 version) of Minecraft and realms then Switch or iPad should work. BAsically bedrock windows 10 edition is compatible across most devices (Switch, Xbox, PS4 tablet etc)so that you can all play together on the same realms.

 

Slight correction here - before anyone makes the mistake I just made: Whilst the PS4 edition is now bedrock, it does not support Realms. Despite much googling 'Minecraft PS4 crossplay' and reading the description on the PS Store before paying for it, this was not at all clear :)

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, RubyJester said:

 

Slight correction here - before anyone makes the mistake I just made: Whilst the PS4 edition is now bedrock, it does not support Realms. Despite much googling 'Minecraft PS4 crossplay' and reading the description on the PS Store before paying for it, this was not at all clear :)

Thankyou that would explain why one of my son's friends cannot join his realm! In the current situation I sorted out a realm for him and his mates to play on and one cannot accept the invite.

 

Jesus! you'd think they'd sort out this petty shite.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Wow - we are currently playing Witchcraft and Wizardry for Minecraft Java. The amount of work that's gone into this is stunning - and it's free.

 

You're playing as a young wizard who may well by Harry Potter (EDIT: It isn't - we've just seen him on the train). The attention to detail is amazing. The kids have just gone through Diagon Alley, bought equipment and then got onto the Hogwarts Express. It doesn't look like it follows the stories (you're given the Marauder's Map almost straight away, to enable fast travel). It's a complete mod with dialogue chains, effects and lots more. Really, really impressed. 

 

 

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/04/2020 at 09:10, Goose said:

Wow - we are currently playing Witchcraft and Wizardry for Minecraft Java. The amount of work that's gone into this is stunning - and it's free.

 

You're playing as a young wizard who may well by Harry Potter (EDIT: It isn't - we've just seen him on the train). The attention to detail is amazing. The kids have just gone through Diagon Alley, bought equipment and then got onto the Hogwarts Express. It doesn't look like it follows the stories (you're given the Marauder's Map almost straight away, to enable fast travel). It's a complete mod with dialogue chains, effects and lots more. Really, really impressed. 

 

 

Just grabbed this myself and spent the last hour or so wandering around London. It's amazing! The macro-level geography isn't up to much but the amount of detail they've put into small areas is really impressive. When I went past the Embankment I thought "hmm, I wonder if I go up here have they put in the Scotland Yard spinny sign?" They have, but it doesn't spin.

 

Loads of shops I didn't bother venturing inside in Diagon Alley too. Looking forward to exploring a bit more, but I might have to be a bit less thorough. :D

 

Don't really have much interest in Harry Potter, but I love the effort that's gone into this. I love a high quality fan creation.

Link to post
Share on other sites

There’s a patch for the Switch version out now. 
Fixes a few issues we’ve seen - marketplace connection for one - but haven’t tried connecting my my son and his mate - both online, both on Switch, both playing MC, no joy and much swearing from me...

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Has anyone tried the Windows 10 RTX beta? I just gave it a go tonight and it's looking really good. Massive performance hit obviously and the draw distance is reduced but the lighting is very effective.

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Flub said:

Has anyone tried the Windows 10 RTX beta? I just gave it a go tonight and it's looking really good. Massive performance hit obviously and the draw distance is reduced but the lighting is very effective.

 

It's really quite impressive, sticking the chunks to 24 and particle's to max neon city chugs at 40fps on my Son's i9 9900k 2080 Ti system @1080p

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Dark Soldier said:

IthCan post more if anyone wants to see. Its genuinely next level impressive.


tbh, I think the effect of ray tracing makes much more sense in videos: some of the digital foundry video on this really shows off what it’s doing, and how it can’t plausibly be done any other way 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...

Query about the bedrock edition, crossplay etc.:

 

My son's friend has this on Xbox One. If I were to get the switch version, could my son cross-play with his mate on the xbox? Can they chat?

 

Essentially before I spend £20, I'd like to get ahead of any gripes or downsides.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, fasteasyfree said:

Query about the bedrock edition, crossplay etc.:

 

My son's friend has this on Xbox One. If I were to get the switch version, could my son cross-play with his mate on the xbox? Can they chat?

 

Essentially before I spend £20, I'd like to get ahead of any gripes or downsides.

 

Yes to crossplay, on the switch they have to create a microsoft account / gamertag and can then see each other and play. 

Not sure how chat is handled as i dont think its built into Minecraft.  You could install xbox app on spare phone/tablet and then sign in and they can have a party chat that way, 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, fattakin said:

 

Yes to crossplay, on the switch they have to create a microsoft account / gamertag and can then see each other and play. 

Not sure how chat is handled as i dont think its built into Minecraft.  You could install xbox app on spare phone/tablet and then sign in and they can have a party chat that way, 

Excellent, so there would be a way around it. In that case I'll give him the option of switch or pc.

Link to post
Share on other sites

PC is handy as then you use game bar ( widows and g ) for chat parties etc. The price of W10 minecraft has went up, but can still get it for around £15. My kids play with mates on a mix of Xbox and PC and switch and are savvy enough now I’ve shown them.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmm, can you synch worlds between different versions of Minecraft (I.e Xbox to Switch)? My daughter has now gotten into Minecraft as well as Roblox and Animal Crossing but finds the Switch easier to play (plus I get the TV back for my games).

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.