rllmuk
Monkeyboy

Any Fantasy recommendations?

So I've made a massive fuck up and need some advice from the people who have read this series.

Somehow I've listened to 15 hours of my latest audiobook series (The Mistborn series) to only realise I've been listening to book 3 and not book 1. But the way it introduced characters and talked about history it could have easily been book 1. It does talk about past events but I presumed these were just things from well in the past that we learn about via the characters chatting. Obviously I've just found out that in fact all this stuff actually happens in book 1 and 2. 

Fuck knows why I didn't notice this. I don't feel out the loop on anything at all and am still enjoying it but do I stop and listen to the other 2 books (55hrs) or just read a synopsis of them and call it an error. 

• Upvote 1

Finished A Little Hatred the other day, finally.

Spoiler

Shivers! :wub:

Wonderful :(

Some great new characters and old ones tagging along. Some good social commentary with the haves and have-nots and the industrialisation of the world. 

A bit of war, some laughs, some gut-wrenching moments and some traitorous bastards - A little hatred indeed.

Amazing reading again - just brilliant. I love listening to these books so much because of Pacey's reading and Abercrombie's writing complementing each other so well.

• Upvote 3

I finished A Little Hatred recently and enjoyed every minute of it. Just classic chapter or three in bed before slumber fodder. I'm hoping he takes things further afield in the next books though, I wanna see more of the wider world. Maybe he's saving stuff in the tank for some future standalones. 

• Upvote 1

I started The Gutter Prayer by Gareth Hanrahan over the weekend and I'm about 30% into it. Some standard fantasy tropes (3 thieves on a mission to steal an object) mixed with some nice Lovecraftian horror and a real Soulsborne atmosphere. I'm liking it but not exactly burning through it. Anyone read it? 

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Silent Runner said:

I started The Gutter Prayer by Gareth Hanrahan over the weekend and I'm about 30% into it. Some standard fantasy tropes (3 thieves on a mission to steal an object) mixed with some nice Lovecraftian horror and a real Soulsborne atmosphere. I'm liking it but not exactly burning through it. Anyone read it? 

Hadn't heard of it but a motley band of thieves with some dark world-building is right up my street. Interested to know what you think when you've finished it.

On 21/01/2020 at 22:22, SM47 said:

I finished A Little Hatred recently and enjoyed every minute of it. Just classic chapter or three in bed before slumber fodder. I'm hoping he takes things further afield in the next books though, I wanna see more of the wider world. Maybe he's saving stuff in the tank for some future standalones. 

I believe this is the first of a new trilogy. Be interesting to see where he takes it.

• Upvote 1

On 03/02/2020 at 10:02, Silent Runner said:

I have, I quite enjoyed it. I'm a sucker for imaginary cities and imaginary criminal organisations though so maybe I was being very forgiving. It's imaginative in all the right ways I thought, little bit on the weird side with the Tallowmen and such. The sequel has just come out so I'm gonna read it for sure. 

• Upvote 1

Yeah, the city is the star I think. I liked how multi-layered it was, the endless underground and the churches towering over it. Some of the plotting was a little weak but I am enjoying it. 

On 03/02/2020 at 15:08, Kzo said:

Hadn't heard of it but a motley band of thieves with some dark world-building is right up my street. Interested to know what you think when you've finished it.

I don't think I'll finish it. I sometimes hit a point in fantasy books where I feel like it's shown me everything it has to show and there's still a few hundred pages to go. And I hit that point a few chapters back. My short review; great city and world building but lacking plot and characters. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Silent Runner said:

I don't think I'll finish it. I sometimes hit a point in fantasy books where I feel like it's shown me everything it has to show and there's still a few hundred pages to go. And I hit that point a few chapters back. My short review; great city and world building but lacking plot and characters. 

Not forcing yourself to finish a book you are no longer interested in... how do you learn this power?

• Upvote 3

On 10/02/2020 at 16:19, Kzo said:

Not forcing yourself to finish a book you are no longer interested in... how do you learn this power?

I rarely finish books. I wish I could push myself a little more. Grass is always greener.

• Upvote 1

So being isolated thanks to the virus means I'm going to have time to get through a few books hopefully.  Ones I've got my eye on are :-

An Echo of things to come.  Book 2 in the licanius trilogy started with "The Shadow Of What was lost".

The Ember Blade by Chris Wooding

Blood of Empire by Brian Mclellan.

Thing is not sure which one to get first!

Thought Blood Of Empire was really good. Whole series is pretty strong.

• Upvote 1

Echo of things to come, then immediately onto the just released concluding volume.

• Empathy 1

Well done Blood of empire and books 1 and 2 of Licanius trilogy.  Struggling a bit with the 3rd strangely but about a 3rd of the way through (appropriately enough). 

Appreciate the fact that Battle Mage is standalone and not "Part one of the Battle Mage Decalogy" so I'm going to read it on the strength of that alone.

• Upvote 1

On 19/12/2019 at 16:19, Danster said:

Amazing reading again - just brilliant. I love listening to these books so much because of Pacey's reading and Abercrombie's writing complementing each other so well.

I've been listening to fantasy/sci fi Audiobooks nearly every night for the past 4 years or so now and really nothing has come close to the Pacey + Abercrombie combination. I reckon I'm nearly at the point where I can go through the First Law trilogy once again :wub:

• Upvote 2

Debating whether to re-read them now so I can read A Little Hatred or to wait for the entire trilogy to come out.

Finished The Farseer Trilogy last night. Listened on audiobook and really didn't like the narration at all. It's done by an American but in very strong British received pronunciation (dogs are dorgs - verity is vérrité) which just really grated throughout. I thought I might get used to it at first, but absolutely didn't. This ridiculous accent (used for 90% of the characters regardless of their backgrounds) even dropped almost completely in places - and I swear he still pronounced squirrel in the American "squril" too, which topped it off.

As for the story. I didn't really love it, but definitely didn't hate it either. I think it does the single-character epic quest thing pretty satisfyingly, and I did care about the characters and story enough to finish it. I think the main source of irritation was the main character. There are several situations where everyone is misunderstanding him left right and centre - which I find a bit of a manipulative way of eliciting caring/encouragement for the protagonist in the reader - Harry Potter does this abundantly and I think my dislike stems a lot from that. Also, like HP, he's prone to pretty cringeworthy fits of pique that are quite hard to stomach. I know we're supposed to be in the mind of an adolescent finding his place in the world - but it's still uncomfortable reading. And god did I get tired of hearing about Molly in places. It sounded like there were several whole sentences that were just the word Molly.

It's also surprisingly one-dimensional. Perhaps I've been spoiled by all this cool modern fantasy we have now - I know the first book came out in the 90s - but even so it all seems quite dated. The bad guys are the bad guys with almost little to no nuance save for the way that Fitz is used and abused by the people responsible for him. There was one moment when Regal suggests that one of the Dukes has been secretly dealing with the Raiders and I was just waiting for the twist to be that Regal was actually correct! But no, Regal is just exactly the petulant irresponsible bad guy that he appears to be. To be eventually defeated by the pure and true king and queen. It wasn't totally devoid of nuance - but the main story is pretty clichéd fantasy stuff. At least it was self-aware enough for Molly and Fitz to not end up together.

I'm a bit surprised it is so well regarded - but perhaps if I'd have read it I'd have liked it a lot more. The narration is really hard to separate from the actual narrative. I am kind of really glad it's over though and I can move onto something else. Which is never a great feeling upon finishing a book.

On 30/04/2020 at 15:39, Bushtopher said:

As posted in the kindle recommendations thread, Battle Mage is 99p today or free if you have amazon prime. 

Really enjoyed reading this last year. Don’t be put off by the generic fantasy cover art!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Battle-Mage-Epic-Fantasy-Adventure-ebook/dp/B06VYCDRV9

Finished this the other day, was really great. Nice change of pace to read a standalone fantasy book for once and not commit to some million page, ten book series.

• Upvote 1

Farseer really needs to be read in the context of what else was about at the time of publication: you had your epics - Eddings repeating the same basic story across five books, three times, Brooks slowly contorting Shannara into god knows what. You didn’t have much where the lead was

actually not really the story’s protagonist or chosen one

, indeed, that’s still pretty rare.

it also grows out a lot over the course of the rest of the realm of the elderings cycle. Fitz grows up a bit, the relationships mature a bit more, and you get a bit more nuance. But he noticeably remains Fitz, and the books remain much more interested in the characters inner turmoil than the wider plot. You’d probably prefer the Liveship traders.

• Upvote 1

Eddings writing the same book repeatedly was something I'd figured out as a kid, but I only learned last week that he was convicted of some pretty serious crimes:

The couple adopted one boy in 1966, Scott David.They adopted a younger girl between 1966 and 1969. In 1969 they lost custody of both children and each were sentenced to a year in jail from separate trials after pleading guilty to child abuse.Though the nature of the abuse, the trial and the sentencing were all extensively reported in North Dakota newspapers at the time, these details of the Eddings' life never resurfaced during their later successful joint career as fantasy authors, only reappearing several years after both had died.

1 hour ago, Uncle Mike said:

Eddings writing the same book repeatedly was something I'd figured out as a kid, but I only learned last week that he was convicted of some pretty serious crimes:

Wow, first I've heard of that.  Used to be a big Eddings fan back in the day before it became a)cool to rag on them (before that story obviously) and b) he ran the same plot into the ground.  At least he did acknowledge it somewhat in the plot of the second series.

Sixteen Ways to defend a walled city: a somewhat unexpected ending, even for Parker/Holt. Be interesting to see what the sequel does in August: it could be amazing as a concept for a series, but the advance reviews don’t really touch on what would make it amazing so...