rllmuk
Monkeyboy

Any Fantasy recommendations?

Has anyone read any NK Jemisin? I've just finished the Fifth Season and it was absolutely fantastic. Really unique writing style for a fantasy, consistent and logical worldbuilding, interesting characters and a really well realised world. About to start the sequel and would thoroughly recommend for anyone looking for a new read.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, The Grand Pursuivant said:

Has anyone read any NK Jemisin? I've just finished the Fifth Season and it was absolutely fantastic. Really unique writing style for a fantasy, consistent and logical worldbuilding, interesting characters and a really well realised world. About to start the sequel and would thoroughly recommend for anyone looking for a new read.

I've got it, but I;m finding it hard to get into . It's not really grabbing me.  I need to make a concerted effort.

I just finished the third book. It stays great all the way through, although the third book has to do a fair bit of heavy lifting to land the ending.

• Upvote 3

R Scott Bakker's Prince Of Nothing series. Worth a read? Just polished off Anna Smith Spark's The Tower Of Living & Dying (a worthy sequel to The Court Of Broken Knives, which I also enjoyed) and she seems to cite RSB's books as influences in interviews. Might take the plunge on the first book 

First hundred pages of TDTCB seemed very dense with references to about 8 or 9 different political factions and a lot to take in, but now it's settled down into a very compelling multi POV grimdark fantasy number. Glad I took the plunge 

8 hours ago, SM47 said:

First hundred pages of TDTCB seemed very dense with references to about 8 or 9 different political factions and a lot to take in, but now it's settled down into a very compelling multi POV grimdark fantasy number. Glad I took the plunge 

The what now?

17 hours ago, SM47 said:

They kind of reminded me of a fantasy version of Nevernes, with philosophy replacing the Hindi?? folklore.

It's certainly a different kind of fantasy world to the usual medieval western Europe type affair. It's definitely more of a Morrowind than an Oblivion. 

On 18/06/2019 at 13:24, The Grand Pursuivant said:

Finished the second of the 3 and taking a break before piling into the Stone Sky. I'm really impressed by it so far. I agree the narrative style is very unusual (at least for the sort of stuff I read). The overall story setup is excellent. I also like how the world building is explained as it goes and not explicitly basil expositioned at certain points. It feels very natural. Would also unreservedly recommend.

Just started The Arm of the Sphinx, directly after finishing Senlin Ascends, 100 pages or so in. Would absolutely recommend this too, my god it's amazing. The last time something totally blew me away like this was Cryptonomicon about 10 years ago I think. Obviously it may go to shit in books 2-4, but so far it's so so good.

While I'm here I feel duty bound to recommend Perdido Street Station and The Scar by China Mieville. Amazing world, and beautifully written. Two of my favourite books.

All of this with the caveat that I don't generally get on with the fantasy genre. LOTR bored me so badly I gave up. I've tried various fantasy books over the years and just cannot get on with them at all.