The Sarge

The Walking Dead!

53 minutes ago, Carlos Valderrama said:

There was a discussion about whether it could be trusted and whether Gregory could be trusted. 

Yeah, but they appeared to decide it could be trusted.

Spoiler

So Negan's fake-out wasn't actually needed. Rick and co were going to where the original map said and it was only when Ezekiel checked a random Saviour's pockets that they switched plan.

Also, Rick decided not to kill Negan on the spur of the moment; he even did his now customary missing-Negan-repeatedly-when-he-can-otherwise-headshot-anything-blindfolded-from-half-a-mile-away/running-out-of-ammo thing right beforehand, and only seemed to decide to consider what Carl had said once Negan appeared to have the upper hand.

2 hours ago, Capwn said:

Oh really? so he purposely shot it? Yeah that's even more ridiculous then accidentally shooting it

No no, not purposely shot it, but shot it and then it happened to be there to cut his throat perfectly without killing him.. Lol! 

I didn't mind the finale too much. Felt like we got a bit of closure at least, and the show's become so dour of late that a glimmer of hope was necessary. That scene with Maggie, Darryl and Jesus, though...

For two of those, that development makes total sense. There's clear motivation to kill Negan in Maggie's case – her horror at Rick saving him was the best bit of acting in the entire episode – while Darryl isn't particularly bothered about saving people who've done Bad Stuff in the past. But Jesus? No. That doesn't work at all. It's like they figured they needed a third major character for the scene and plucked a name out of a hat. Not only does it make no sense for his character, it actively contradicts his behaviour

earlier in the same episode. That is just rank bad writing.

Maybe Season 9 will start with a hour episode that focuses on Jesus, which tries to explain his motive. Maybe him being nice was an act all along or something? He comes from another faction and his master plan was always to take down Rick's group internally.

Following the comic storyline of....

sparing Negan and having him slowly and subtly influence Rick from his cell...

...is a huge mistake. It was arguably a mistake in the comic, but the key difference is that the comic tackled ‘all out war’ in a far more intense and immediate fashion, so that slowing things down afterward felt, if not natural, then at least earned. The series, in comparison, bumbled around with crap gunfights, terrible dialogue (so yeah, kinda like the comic there), and characters bending to service the wobbly plot.

What season 9 needed is a big, immediate change. A change in goals and a change in location. It needed to sever season 8 like you would a gangrenous limb. Instead it’s making the mistake of thinking anyone is interested in a follow up to those events. Which is an utterly baffling decision when the writers have had nothing but feedback telling them how poorly the ‘all out war’ arc was received, and how fucking cheesy Negan was as an antagonist. 

• Upvote 1

On 4/16/2018 at 19:10, Monkeyboy said:

I notice Fear the Walking Dead premiered last night as well. Looking at the cast list, it appears there's finally some cross over between the two shows.

Well, this happened. A cast member from TWD is in FTWD and it appears the time lines have aligned somewhat. I won't say any more.

I do wonder, once I get to the end of season 4 of FTWD whether it'll be feasible to recommend people starting with season 4 of FTWD and skipping the first three seasons.

Also, there's stuff in the first new episode of FTWD that fills in some blanks after the TWD finale. If they don't go into it in any depth in the next season of TWD, are they just assuming that people watch both shows? There's quite a few on here who don't. More likely the plan is to get those people watching FTWD as well, so they don't miss anything.

I got a fair way into FTWD S1 but then gave up. Then I watch S4 ep 1 the other day to see the crossover. I liked it.

They do a good job of showing how far he's travelled. So I think i'll carry on watching fear and see how it goes. I've not a got a lot of desire to go back and watch the first 3 series though

8 minutes ago, Floyd said:

I got a fair way into FTWD S1 but then gave up. Then I watch S4 ep 1 the other day to see the crossover. I liked it.

They do a good job of showing how far he's travelled. So I think i'll carry on watching fear and see how it goes. I've not a got a lot of desire to go back and watch the first 3 series though

S3 wasn’t bad, and quite good towards the end. It’s universally agreed that S2 was fucking awful, though. You’ll lose nothing by skipping it. 

I watched the first two episodes of season three of FTWD and just thought, yes THIS is what WD should be like, not that clusterfuck of Season 8.

The third season of FTWD is way better than TWD has been since it's own third season.  It also doesn't look or feel as cheap as TWD currently is.  It has better actors (There have now been three Deadwood veterans in the cast), better camera work, direction and effects (The sewer tunnel zombie being a particularly disgusting highlight) and tells a clearer more straightforward story without a million side characters and factions that disappear for long spells.

I just hope they don't ruin all the good work done during the third season by turning it into The Morgan Show.

• Upvote 1

Now TWD has finished, if I was to pick up FTWD, to hopefully replace it, which season would you recommend going for? I’ve heard the first two aren’t that great, but are they needed for character development?

I’ll start it from the beginning then. It shouldn’t be that bad. I did it with the first 5 series of Walking Dead and watching an episode every night definitely helped with the slow pacing.

That's the biggest problem with FTWD, Nick is one of the worst characters ever, and they focus on him far too much. And his hair.....his fucking shit hair.

• Empathy 1

There’s big news afoot about the show today. It’s all over the place (I saw it on he front page of the Guardian website), so it’s not a big secret or anything, but for those who wish to avoid it...

BIG SPOILER

Spoiler

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/walking-dead-andrew-lincoln-exit-norman-reedus-eyes-20m-payday-1115515

Walking Dead': Andrew Lincoln to Exit as Norman Reedus Eyes $20M-Plus New Deal

I'm not clicking that, but if it's what I think it is, an idiot on my FB shared it yesterday.  Thanks dickhead!

It's both going to be impossible to avoid in coming months and also who cares, fuck it. If it's that thing.

There are better ways to let this show die tho.

Spoiler

I would see them throw $20 million at the actual show rather than to Reedus.  Let's face it Daryll has become just as boring and pointless as most of the rest of the characters.  He has done fuck all for the last two seasons and disappears for episodes on end.

Put the money towards better writing, acting, effects and the general quality of the whole show.

I still believe that the show is dying on it's arse and losing Andrew Lincoln is the beginning of the end.  He is the anchor that holds it together even at its worst (Most of Season 7 and 8).

• Empathy 1

Spoiler

I'm amazed Lincoln has lasted this long. He must be getting bored now. His character is just there to give rousing speeches every few episodes. If Reedus becomes the lead, how's his character gonna cope? Do they have Toastmasters in the apocalypse?