Blue

Take A Pic Of Your Dinner!

Picked up a pork joint on Saturday for about £3, girlfriend made an awesome pulled pork with it on Sunday so had it with some mash and a homemade bbq sauce.

20171217_191438.jpg

Then last night used the remainder for burgers with another bbq sauce.

20171218_181955.jpg

• Upvote 3
  • Empathy 1

3 hours ago, meatbin said:

Where's the vegetables m8?

I don't like em. Hopefully soon when I'm a much more competent cook I can start adding them in to try, but for now I'm just trying to learn to cook by doing stuff I like.

I just got a new stainless steel frying pan (was only £27 when I ordered it), made a spagbol in it yesterday (while grossly overestimating how much could be put in the pan), today I made this:

P1020615_01.thumb.jpg.d39824d1a133690585dcfd3d5fc2b7cd.jpg

I used waaaaaaay too much oil, ended up having to dab a bunch off with a paper towel, which presumably led to the unfortunately loss of some glorious chicken fat, and also led to less browning and crispiness than could otherwise be achieved. I also feel like I underseasoned the chicken thighs. Still, it was extremely tasty. I think this will probably become one of my "standard" meals as it came together quickly and didn't take too much fussing. Pretty much everything else I know how to cook involves pasta too, so this might help me not be fat.

I also picked up a carbon steel frying pan this week too, a smaller version of the same one I bought about a year ago when I still had an electric plate hob, which I completely ruined it on trying to season the thing. This one is much smaller and will fit in the oven if need be, so it should be fine. I've already scratched my induction hob with it though - the guy who delivered it seemingly just had it on the floor of his van, and there was a bit of a dink on the bottom, which combined with the weight let to a major gouge happening, which I'm not thrilled about. I'll have to sand that down before it's usable I guess.

• Upvote 1

Good slug of marsala, a knob of butter, and a dollop of sour cream in the pan with that lot and you'd have had a cracking sauce to go with it.

• Upvote 1

105 days this year with only SlimFast shakes and the occasional yo sushi

for my first home made meal of the year had to be curry - chickpea and chicken but being born and bred Glaswegian had to also have the traditional veg pakora

56B7A4E3-1A3D-4D6F-B832-929B75339536.jpeg

• Upvote 6

Excuse the low quality phone photos.

Made pork tacos el pastor with pineaple and beef barbecoa tacos.

Both with coriander, onions, radish (finally got to use my mandolin), homemade guacamole and El Yucateca chipotle hot sauce.

9de83cbc-b13a-421e-b02c-d1f85e90b1da.jpg

f63554ff-eb8b-4d0a-bfe2-989cccacc0ed.jpg

• Upvote 5

Those look good - I’ve been looking at lots of Mexican recipes recently after the Food Ranger YouTube series over there (I can leave the insect and intestine shit but the Mexican classics look great)

Got a recipe link for the Barbecoa please ?

3 hours ago, Gotters said:

Those look good - I’ve been looking at lots of Mexican recipes recently after the Food Ranger YouTube series over there (I can leave the insect and intestine shit but the Mexican classics look great)

Got a recipe link for the Barbecoa please ?

https://therecipecritic.com/2016/04/slow-cooker-barbacoa-beef/

Had to get a lot of stuff from mexgrocer as it's not easy to find proper corn tacos, chiles in adobo etc in normal shops.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, meatbin said:

Not really a normal shop but if you have a Wholefoods near you they have chilie in adobo

I got mine from Amazon - spicy little devils, ‘muy picante’

Just made myself and nice pork Shish kebab, my own (well mums recipe) marinade and proper Tahini. Wasn't planning on chips but had a hectic day and thought blow it, think I over did it and can see at least half getting left. Oh well.

20180409_181645.jpg

• Upvote 4

I sometimes say it instead of "sod it" don't know if it's a regional thing or even a household thing, my parents said it when I was little. Think I may have heard it a lot around my way too but can't specifically recall.

Way too many chips by the way so I shouldn't have really blew it in the first place.

Man, it's Lamb every time for me. I've eaten slices that are almost orgasmic. We used to call it spring chicken so my son would eat it, he was horrified when he found out it was Lamb when he was older.. "Chickens, fuck em but Lambs, no way dad!" Still ate it though. 

Where's the mint sauce at Boothjan?

• Upvote 1

Made a spicy butternut squash pasta thing:

IMG_20180624_203508.thumb.jpg.f0c92c6af249c242985dadc26d6e64fa.jpg

IMG_20180624_205246.thumb.jpg.6001ed6b86a1222acadd49ea88c15676.jpg

Butternut squash cubes are perfect for trying out your fancy cheffy food flipping technique, as it turns out. I found that when I went in with a spoon it started to break them up a bit rather than leaving them mostly intact so the outside could brown, so it might actually be a useful skill in this case rather than just a way to show off. I now know about three entirely veggie meals (not vegan, dairy is still a big part of all of them) that are quick to cook and I actually like. I think I'm going to try my hand at some curries next as they will probably get boring, though.

• Upvote 2

I've got to starve myself for a hospital scan today, so what's the best thing to distract myself with? Cooking!

IMG_20180821_114331_009.jpg

Pork stew in the slow cooker. 

• Upvote 1

Portobello mushroom and fol epi tart (was meant to be taleggio but I had it in the fridge for too long and it went off). Definitely could have done with a stronger cheese, but it was still nice. Nicoise from Waitrose.

IMG-20180828-WA0003_01.jpg

IMG-20180828-WA0005_01.jpg

• Upvote 6

*SLOW COOKER SUCCESS KLAXON!*

Did this yesterday - beery beef with mash. Ridiculously easy yet stupidly tasty.

1 x beef brisket (approx 1kg)
1 x parsnip (peeled and chopped into chunks)
1 x large carrot (peeled and chopped into chunks)
2 x medium onions (finely diced)
1 x medium potato (peeled and chopped into chunks)
A large handful of green beans
1.5 tablespoons Dijon mustard
3 sprigs of thyme
2 bay leaves
125ml of beer (use something malty - I recommend Hobgoblin or Marstons Pedigree - neither are great beers but both are good to cook with)

• Bung the parsnips, potatoes, carrots and onions in the bottom of the slow cooker.
  • Coat the beef with the mustard and season with salt and pepper.
  • Place the beef on top of the veg and put the thyme and bay leaves over the top of it
  • Add the beer
  • Cover and cook for 8-10 hours on low (or 4-5 on high)
  • 15-20 minutes before the end, throw in the beans - cover and cook again until they're tender
  • Remove the meat and steamed beans and set aside - using two forks, shred the brisket
  • Drain most of the sauce and set aside
  • Add butter to the cooked veg, season and then mash. Add extra sauce if required
  • Serve it all together - drizzle the remaining sauce over the top

There's fuck all washing up required after this and it's a taste sensation. I don't recommend drinking the rest of the beer with this though - try something better!!

fsepweDLK85LBm-7LxcbM6IAur8ETxIH_3qajIO4

Had my mum and dad visit from Australia a few weeks ago and I got some of her recipes, which I road-tested this afternoon on my girlfriend's family.

Thx6Sel.jpg

Cabbage and coconut

sKV1GgT.jpg

Green beans and broccoli

mwKvMgj.jpg

Lamb curry

I was really pleased that they turned out pretty much the way my mum's had. I did a vegan version with aubergines too. 

• Upvote 1