The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

"The game does rather highlight the Wii's graphical limitations. But what it lacks in visual crispness, it more than makes up for in terms of immersiveness..."

"how Nintendo managed to fit it on one CD isn't far short of miraculous."

"Countless Zelda tropes are in evidence – you can, for example, harvest pumpkins"

I see the Guardian's reader comments are as on the ball as ever.

(Extremely mild spoiler containing picture of what appears to be a standard Zelda enemy type:)

Legend-of-Zelda-007.jpg

I was never really obsessed with graphics, I mean, I still play PC games from the early nineties, but that's one ugly current generation game. If I'm getting anything before the end of the year it's Skyrim.
Harsh to judge by graphics, but looks sub N64.

I'll give it a proper go when I can borrow my little sisters Wii.

Of course, it's my own fault for reading them. But you do have to gasp in awe at the internet sometimes, where publishing criticism is not impeded at all by a complete lack of critical faculties.

From the joystiq review:

It's so rare that a game can be added to by subtraction, but some of the biggest offenders in Skyward Sword simply have no reason to exist. The fetch quest which has you re-traverse the majority of a completed dungeon to secure an item from the final room? The third time you have to beat the same boss, with a few minor changes between each encounter? I cannot believe sequences like these appear in a game with such unsurpassed polish.

Somewhere within Skyward Sword slumbers the best Zelda game of all time. It is choked by a dozen hours of needless cruft; but it's there, a masterpiece entombed by a misguided ambition to be the lengthiest game in the franchise's history. It's still an incredible game, but it could have been the greatest game ever made, and the moments that keep it from doing so are absolutely going to break your heart.

This actually seems to be a fairly common theme with the more negative reviews (in so much as 8/10 is negative obviously). Too many fetch quests and padding.

The 1 UP review complained about there being 4 Phantom sections; I'm not sure that is a big deal in a 40 hour game, and Zelda has had stealth sections since Ocarina. Some people seem to viscerally hate them though. I don't mind the odd boss repetition either, as long as it isnt every boss - that's a design choice, rather than padding

WW style fetch quests the most worrying though, then again some people hate Metroid.

There rationalised all the complaints. Ready for brilliance.

As for EGM:

In the grand scheme of things, this could be construed as minor, but what really keeps Skyward Sword from reaching the level of several of its predecessors is the control scheme. Remember how I mentioned that the visual design emphasizes enemy strengths and weaknesses? Well, this graphical quirk comes from the conscious decision to make Skyward Sword too reliant on motion controls and Wii MotionPlusand its this element that singlehandedly holds the game back from elite status.

Twilight Princess motion controls worked because the game was more forgiving of your movements; simple flicks of your wrist would provide the desired results. Now, due to the enemy design revolving around the motion-control gimmick and being forced to use the MotionPluswhich follows you too wellyoure often pulled out of the immersion, because youre constantly reminded that you are holding a controller whenever the controller doesnt do what you want

Wii-haters. Disregard.

Also lazy, and shit at the game. Wants to button mash.

Unfortunately, if you’re like me and have played a good amount of button-mashers over the years—or even just older Zelda titles—your instinct is to attack hard and fast. But if you swing too fast, even with MotionPlus, Link won’t be able to catch up to you. Or, worse yet—since I’ve yet to meet someone who prefers to play games standing up—if you’re sitting down, it’s impossible to swing the controller perfectly horizontally or vertically every time, and you’ll often have to reset your position, destroying the illusion of immersion.

From the demo is was pretty clear that the controls weren't going to suit everyone though, to be fair. I think they're great and work well, but some people are going to really dislike because they are far more demanding that you typically expect from a game of this sort.

It's really lazy to dismiss anyone who doesn't click with them as "Wii-haters", although that guy does seem like a bit of an idiot. I never had trouble attacking in the right direction while sitting down.

Simms, seemingly uninterested before, showing up to highlight the negatives in the reviews. Nice work, simms.

How did you gauge how interested I am? By the number of posts? Theres been a couple of unexpected review scores and I'm reading impressions/reviews to find out why. Its going to be a fantastic game regardless.

Also lazy, and shit at the game. Wants to button mash.

Those sounds like half-valid criticisms, though he should probably adapt to the wii-motion plus rather than the other way around. Frustration with technological limitations rather than being happy with the actual technical marvel of the device.

Apparently this is being sold freely in switzerland. So we may, um, see it fairly soon.

Annnnnnnd it's out.

oeh, that means pressing the F5 button repeatedly on some favourite sites.

Damn you guys, I got a massive boner but it turn's out it's all bollocks and now I sit here, blueballed.