Sign in to follow this  
Solid SOAP

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

You could rage-mod your Wii and play it anyway. Tonight :)

I haven't got motion plus. Boo!

I guess I'm just going to have to be patient. We gamers are good at that, right?

Does anyone have any trouble balancing when walking across vines/tightropes? Yes, I know you need to tilt the remote, and the controls work fine elsewhere, but here they just don't seem to work at all for me. However gingerly or firmly I tilt the remote, it doesn't seem to have any effect and every time I encounter a tightrope walk I end up talking one or two steps, losing balance, climbing back up, and taking about two or three minutes to cross the damn thing. Maybe it's a dodgy motion plus (I only borrowed it for this game), but it seems to function fine elsewhere so I doubt that.

Just wondered if there was something I was missing.

Yeah, it's really weird. The one thing I can think of is that I haven't switched the game off since I started playing (how could I, when it's this great?), so maybe it's glitched somehow and a restart might help.

I have problems with the net more than anything. He just seems to waggle it about in tiny motions in front of him even when I try to sweep around to grab bugs.

It sounds like a similar problem. Has anyone else encountered it?

Am I safe to insert the disk into my hacked Wii, just picked up the special edition and I don't want it to force me to update.

You're safe if you install Priiloader; I just had it prompting me to update before I could play, but after installing that and skipping disc/online updates, it works fine.

(Look for Guide: Softmod ANY Wii if you need it)

• Upvote 1

You're safe if you install Priiloader; I just had it prompting me to update before I could play, but after installing that and skipping disc/online updates, it works fine.

(Look for Guide: Softmod ANY Wii if you need it)

Cheers!

Does anyone have any trouble balancing when walking across vines/tightropes? Yes, I know you need to tilt the remote,

I'm pretty sure it's not tilt but rotate left and right; if there were no obstacles in front of me I'd gently swipe the remote back and forth constantly and remain upright throughout. Also, you can still hold A when crossing those tightropes.

I have problems with the net more than anything. He just seems to waggle it about in tiny motions in front of him even when I try to sweep around to grab bugs.

I found a flick of the wrist just as the net reaches the bug improved my chances of catching it dramatically.

Couple of niggles - Fi is way too talkative. She's worse than Navi and keeps telling me the most worthless information. Leave me alone! She's no Midna either but there's still a long way to go.

I'm also not a fan of dousing. It seems to me just to be a way of ruining the exploration. I tend to just quickly bring it up to shut Fi up and then never use it again. I suppose it's helpful for less experienced players but I'd rather look for things on my own. Maybe it'll be useful later on?

On the plus side this is actually reasonably challenging and I'm not at the first dungeon yet. Had to use a couple of potions and went to buy some more with is basically unheard of for me in a modern Zelda, and my shield broke and I had to buy a new one. You also get the chance to upgrade your wallet very early and for now at least I'm spending my money.

The painting effect is much better in motion than it appears in screenshots, I like it a lot, the way the background looks more and more painterly the further away you get. As with all Wii games it took me about 10-15 minutes to adjust to all the aliasing and poor IQ but it's really quite lovely looking in places.

My wife has just phoned me at work to say she's just picked this up for me as a treat! :) What a gal! She get's the 'Edge 10' from me anyway...

If my wife did that, she'd be getting '1' from me.

• Upvote 3

Apparently she doesn't want to wrap it up. Well, she said "You're going to give me that to wrap up. That thing you have there. In your hands." while giving me that look that only 'special' children get.

Shame ^_^

• Upvote 1

About 3 hours in. So far its all a bit meh on the one hand and a bit brilliant on the other. I still cant stand motion controls and this isnt the game to change that viewpoint. But everything else (bar the "still no better looking than twilight princess" graphics) is amazing. Christ knows how I'm gonna cope with a boss fight though.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 6

It sounds silly, but I found sitting a bit further away from the TV than I normally do has helped the game look great. What a brilliant choice of art style. There is even a 'canvas' texture over everything. It's like a living, breathing painting.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Imagine if this was your first ever Zelda game.

Imagine.

I haven't even reached the first dungeon. I've died 6 times. I don't care. I love it.

So much fan service so far as well..

The sail

The goddess sword, but I am 'the master'

For those complaining about the lack if areas, Miyamoto has his thoughts here: http://www.1up.com/news/miyamoto-twists-turns-skyward-sword

Basically, he wanted to go wide deep not wide. Given my favourite Zelda is probably MM except for the days it's LTTP, comfortable with that. I can see the case for a grander sweep though.

The other thing is they basically didn't know what they were doing. Nintendo always make better games like that. In an earlier interview they said how they had no clue making OOT, and in passing mentioned TP was mentioned as basically known but with a wold twist. The difference is stark.

Truly amazing scenes in the third dungeon. The new ideas are ace, the dungeon design is exceptional and it looks incredible. 7.5 my arse.

I've not been following the thread, who gave it 7.5? Ign?

EDIT: ah, Gamespot. Lowest score, though.