rllmuk
Mace Masterson

Final Fantasy XIV: Online First post updated with lots of info. Join Moogle!

Stormblood goes a bit flat in the middle, doesn’t it? Maybe liberating Space Japan is never going to be as much fun as fighting ancient dragons, or maybe it’s just that it keeps pairing you with the most irritating sidekicks, but I’m up to Yanxia now and it’s a bit... meandering. Hope it picks up again soon. 

Yeah, that makes sense. It's a good sign that I should get on with the main scenario quests so I don't end up in too many gear score-gated dungeons where people would expect me to have these abilities ready to go. 

I'm planning on switching to Astrologian for a little while once I unlock Heavensward stuff to try my hand at the healer queues and for a bit of a change from playing DPS. Gonna deliberately start from the very easiest dungeons and work my way back up since I can only imagine the furious tanks left in a heap on the floor by a healer who has no idea what they are doing in the more complex ones. 

• Upvote 1

Sorry new to this but just downloaded on PS4 to take a look. It says Moogle server is full? Do I just join another until spaces become available?

12 minutes ago, parrapatheslapper said:

Sorry new to this but just downloaded on PS4 to take a look. It says Moogle server is full? Do I just join another until spaces become available?

I think so. We have a cross world linkshell you can join so you can chat to everyone across the various worlds, so it shouldn't make too much difference. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Vorgot said:

I think so. We have a cross world linkshell you can join so you can chat to everyone across the various worlds, so it shouldn't make too much difference. 

Thanks mate will take a look and try to work all this out as a noob to MMORPGs

Just now, parrapatheslapper said:

Thanks mate will take a look and try to work all this out as a noob to MMORPGs

Just ask any questions as you go, it's what I did (and still do!) but feel I have a good handle on it now.

Once you have a character, let me know the character name and the world, I'll pop over and add you to the linkshell.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Vorgot said:

Just ask any questions as you go, it's what I did (and still do!) but feel I have a good handle on it now.

Once you have a character, let me know the character name and the world, I'll pop over and add you to the linkshell.

Brilliant will do cheers :)

if it's not already full the next muk inhabited server is Louisoix?

Whoever picker Moogle back when this launched had no idea it would become the Official French Server

It doesn't make that much difference though really because we don't have a Free Company and all instances (and our linkshell) are cross-server. Plus you can pop over to other people's worlds any time you want to. Just join whatever's got most space. I think Spriggan is a new server that gives you a bunch of bonuses for starting a character there.

I'm pretty sure if you join Spriggan as a brand new player you'll get a big xp boost until level 70 and a big chunk of gil at some point too

4 minutes ago, Flub said:

I'm pretty sure if you join Spriggan as a brand new player you'll get a big xp boost until level 70 and a big chunk of gil at some point too

Plus 15 days subscription time when you hit 30. It's not just new players current subscribers can create a new character to get the sub time and gil, doesn't take too long with the bonus.

Quick question for those in the know. I'm doing the MSQs now that lead to HW, along with all the quests to unlock the various dungeons and am amassing Poetics. Should I be using them now to grab the i120 gear in Mor Dhana? I got a nice set of i90 summoners gear from quests but my accessories are lagging behind, I could bump my item level pretty quickly, think my overall ilevel is 68 at the moment and some of the dungeons need higher than that.

Going from mainly solo play it suddenly feels like I have been thrown into real MMO mode and I want to get better at the party stuff.

Or do I want to hold on to them until I later? Apologies if it's a daft question, I have a feeling I should grab that gear. I think crafting may take a back seat now as well, except maybe the botanist, weaver, alchemist and goldsmith which go well with my Summoner. A lot of it, like the culinarian just needs too many mats and my retainers simply don't have the space. Time to figure out the stuff I really want to do in the game now.

4 quests left before Stormblood and my sub ran out, i'll definitely be back for another month, the story is better than most single player FF games.

53 minutes ago, Vorgot said:

Quick question for those in the know. I'm doing the MSQs now that lead to HW, along with all the quests to unlock the various dungeons and am amassing Poetics. Should I be using them now to grab the i120 gear in Mor Dhana? I got a nice set of i90 summoners gear from quests but my accessories are lagging behind, I could bump my item level pretty quickly, think my overall ilevel is 68 at the moment and some of the dungeons need higher than that.

Going from mainly solo play it suddenly feels like I have been thrown into real MMO mode and I want to get better at the party stuff.

Or do I want to hold on to them until I later? Apologies if it's a daft question, I have a feeling I should grab that gear. I think crafting may take a back seat now as well, except maybe the botanist, weaver, alchemist and goldsmith which go well with my Summoner. A lot of it, like the culinarian just needs too many mats and my retainers simply don't have the space. Time to figure out the stuff I really want to do in the game now.

Yep, much like was discussed a few days ago with the level 60 Shire gear you should use those poetics to get Augmented Ironworks gear in Mor Dhona as it will see you through to about level 55/half of Heavensward. You'll be capping out on poetics on an almost daily basis before long so don't think that you have to hang on to them. Augmented Ironworks comes in at ilvl130 which is significantly better than what you're wearing at the moment. It's a no-brainer really.

If you're into crafting, have been enjoying it and can see yourself wanting to pursue it into the endgame (which is an entire pursuit in itself) or just be self-sufficient from a crafting perspective (which is hugely beneficial) then I'd highly recommend keeping parity between the classes. It will pay off in the end and you'll thank yourself for it, trust me. There's nothing to stop you only focusing on one or two of them of course but the way crafting and gathering work in this game is that they are all ultimately interdependent on one another to one degree or another, whether that be pre-requisite crafts, materials or most importantly cross-class skills. Fisher is mostly an exception as that's its own little corner of the game that has its own very dedicated following.

You can kind of fudge the endgame crafting stuff if you've only levelled a few of them but you'll find yourself relying on RNG procs way too much and it becomes too much of an exercise in frustration. At the very, very least I would ensure that either your miner or botanist (but preferably both) are kept up to date with your highest crafter as this will save you a fortune on materials.

7 hours ago, pinholestar said:

Yep, much like was discussed a few days ago with the level 60 Shire gear you should use those poetics to get Augmented Ironworks gear in Mor Dhona as it will see you through to about level 55/half of Heavensward. You'll be capping out on poetics on an almost daily basis before long so don't think that you have to hang on to them. Augmented Ironworks comes in at ilvl130 which is significantly better than what you're wearing at the moment. It's a no-brainer really.

If you're into crafting, have been enjoying it and can see yourself wanting to pursue it into the endgame (which is an entire pursuit in itself) or just be self-sufficient from a crafting perspective (which is hugely beneficial) then I'd highly recommend keeping parity between the classes. It will pay off in the end and you'll thank yourself for it, trust me. There's nothing to stop you only focusing on one or two of them of course but the way crafting and gathering work in this game is that they are all ultimately interdependent on one another to one degree or another, whether that be pre-requisite crafts, materials or most importantly cross-class skills. Fisher is mostly an exception as that's its own little corner of the game that has its own very dedicated following.

You can kind of fudge the endgame crafting stuff if you've only levelled a few of them but you'll find yourself relying on RNG procs way too much and it becomes too much of an exercise in frustration. At the very, very least I would ensure that either your miner or botanist (but preferably both) are kept up to date with your highest crafter as this will save you a fortune on materials.

Cheers, it was the post about the Shire gear that made me think I should be getting the Poetics stuff now for level 50 so thanks for confirming that.

I'll stick with the crafting, I'm keeping them all at the same level with the exception of fishing, which is falling behind. That may be the only class I don't concentrate on though I need some of the stuff for culinarian. Need to check some guides on the proper crafting rotations with the shared skills, though they are all level 20-25 at the moment, I'd like to get them caught up and it only tends to take a couple of days to bang a fair few levels on them.

The big problem I'm having is storage of materials, though I bet if I went through that now I could find a ton of stuff to stick on the market boards. With the beast tribes providing some of the materials at a fairly cheap level (certainly cheaper than the boards) it takes some of the pressure off hoarding. I might look into getting an extra retainer though, that would make it easier to manage.

18 hours ago, Garwoofoo said:

Stormblood goes a bit flat in the middle, doesn’t it? Maybe liberating Space Japan is never going to be as much fun as fighting ancient dragons, or maybe it’s just that it keeps pairing you with the most irritating sidekicks, but I’m up to Yanxia now and it’s a bit... meandering. Hope it picks up again soon. 

Yep it's proper saggy (part of that is HS is so good)

Split storylines - so it's hard to care about "pressing" concerns when you keep leaving the fight to  go across the world to fight in a different liberation

Annoying side and focus characters (Lyse eurgh)

But it's all worth it for Shadowbringers.

I've started putting together a new Free Company, @Vorgot and I are in it, mostly so it's easier to share resources, plus extra storage, plus I think that's the only way to get a house? We need two others to join to be able to form it properly if anyone wants in? (It's on Moogle). Obviously the cross server linkshell is the priority for chatting etc though

28 minutes ago, wev said:

I've started putting together a new Free Company, @Vorgot and I are in it, mostly so it's easier to share resources, plus extra storage, plus I think that's the only way to get a house? We need two others to join to be able to form it properly if anyone wants in? (It's on Moogle). Obviously the cross server linkshell is the priority for chatting etc though

You can still have a personal house without a free company, but it is very expensive. And a Free Company needs to be levelled up pretty hight to buy one as well I think.

Its a good thing glamours and dyes are in this game because dear god, the casting ironworks set at 50 is really ugly. I'm pretty sure the standard angsty teenagers of FF games would love it, but not for my character, I've had pretty classy looking outfits all the way. I really like the i90 robe I got as a summoner, that needs turning into a glamour ASAP. My weaver has the mats and recipe as well, so thats a job for tomorrow!

So, just to check I am doing this right. At the moment I am :

Running daily roulette for MSQ and Levelling (am too scared to be doing the 50/60/70 one yet, as I still don't know everything going on in the dungeons).

12 Beast tribe quests a day

Full set of Ironworks i120 gear for poetics, then a Magitek weapon with Poetics, then augment them all with the guys hiding in the building at the back of Mor Dhana. 

At some point, get working on quests to get me to HW

Get my crafters and gatherers up to speed level.

I've hired an extra retainer and I'm still not exactly flush on space. Managing items is pretty clunky, and it's also tough to know which ones I won't need in future, ingredients and seafood being the big culprits. 1 retainer has all those and only has 20 slots left spare. Still, I can't complain when I'll sit there happily for hours doing this stuff.

6 hours ago, Vorgot said:

Its a good thing glamours and dyes are in this game because dear god, the casting ironworks set at 50 is really ugly. I'm pretty sure the standard angsty teenagers of FF games would love it, but not for my character, I've had pretty classy looking outfits all the way. I really like the i90 robe I got as a summoner, that needs turning into a glamour ASAP. My weaver has the mats and recipe as well, so thats a job for tomorrow!

So, just to check I am doing this right. At the moment I am :

Running daily roulette for MSQ and Levelling (am too scared to be doing the 50/60/70 one yet, as I still don't know everything going on in the dungeons).

12 Beast tribe quests a day

Full set of Ironworks i120 gear for poetics, then a Magitek weapon with Poetics, then augment them all with the guys hiding in the building at the back of Mor Dhana. 

At some point, get working on quests to get me to HW

Get my crafters and gatherers up to speed level.

I've hired an extra retainer and I'm still not exactly flush on space. Managing items is pretty clunky, and it's also tough to know which ones I won't need in future, ingredients and seafood being the big culprits. 1 retainer has all those and only has 20 slots left spare. Still, I can't complain when I'll sit there happily for hours doing this stuff.

In order to augment the Ironworks gear you need either Carbontwine (for armour and weapons) or Carboncoat (for belt and accessories) which can be purchased for 100 poetics each from Auriana under the 'Allagan Tomestones of Poetics (Other)' option. Take these and your ilvl120 Ironworks gear to Hyrstmill in the north-eastern corner of the North Shroud (map reference: X:30 Y:20) and talk to Drake at the smithy there. He'll upgrade your gear to the Augmented versions under the relevant menu options when you talk to him.

Once you've done this I'd advise not to touch MSQ roulette again until such time as you come to level alt jobs as it will a) make you massively overlevelled due to it giving such humongous amounts of XP and b) drive you insane from having to sit through all those unskippable cutscenes every time.

I would also stress that there's no need to be afraid to run duties and dungeons that you're not familiar with. It's the only way to learn. Just let people know it's your first time (a lot of newcomers don't do this and then get upset when everyone charges off) and they'll be cool with it. If they're lower level duties you'll often be running them with other inexperienced people anyway as there are a hell of a lot of new players lately. The community for this game is famously friendly and the vast majority of players will be perfectly happy to explain things if needed when they load into a duty with a sprout or at the very least be patient and understanding with any fuck ups. If they're not then they're dicks to be honest but I've found those sorts to be very rare in all my time playing this game.

Pretty sure I've said this already in this thread but I've seen a few people mention that they're afraid to run things they're not familiar with or get major anxiety about grouped content and it makes me kind of sad as I think the very best experiences in this game are to be found when you go in blind and have to think on your feet. It makes you a far better and more capable player in the long run too. The thing to remember is that outside of the savage-tier raids and the EX trials all of the content in this game is designed to be able to be completed fairly easily by just about anyone and the mechanics and outgoing damage in dungeons in particular are tuned to be pretty forgiving. At its core it's a casual-friendly MMO designed for broad appeal. If you've got this far then you're already well-equipped to be able to deal with whatever a dungeon can throw at you, so just jump in and have fun.

With regards to inventory space you're simply doing what every single person does at the start and hoarding mountains of shit that you just don't need. If you have three retainers and are still running out of space then it's definitely time for a clearout. Unless it has immediate use (like skins for a particular leather for a leatherworker leve or something) then just get rid. Either sell it on the MB if it's worth something (unlikely at lower levels) or just discard it. Your gatherers can get anything you need in a pinch if needs be and the vast majority of the rest of it can either be had for peanuts on the MB or bought from vendors somewhere or other. Every 5 levels or so with crafters you effectively move up a tier in terms of materials and so pretty much everything prior to that becomes effectively obsolete or so easily available that it's utterly pointless hanging on to it. Just get into the habit of ruthlessly clearing out what you don't need and you'll end up thanking yourself later.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, pinholestar said:

In order to augment the Ironworks gear you need either Carbontwine (for armour and weapons) or Carboncoat (for belt and accessories) which can be purchased for 100 poetics each from Auriana under the 'Allagan Tomestones of Poetics (Other)' option. Take these and your ilvl120 Ironworks gear to Hyrstmill in the north-eastern corner of the North Shroud (map reference: X:30 Y:20) and talk to Drake at the smithy there. He'll upgrade your gear to the Augmented versions under the relevant menu options when you talk to him.

Once you've done this I'd advise not to touch MSQ roulette again until such time as you come to level alt jobs as it will a) make you massively overlevelled due to it giving such humongous amounts of XP and b) drive you insane from having to sit through all those unskippable cutscenes every time.

I would also stress that there's no need to be afraid to run duties and dungeons that you're not familiar with. It's the only way to learn. Just let people know it's your first time (a lot of newcomers don't do this and then get upset when everyone charges off) and they'll be cool with it. If they're lower level duties you'll often be running them with other inexperienced people anyway as there are a hell of a lot of new players lately. The community for this game is famously friendly and the vast majority of players will be perfectly happy to explain things if needed when they load into a duty with a sprout or at the very least be patient and understanding with any fuck ups. If they're not then they're dicks to be honest but I've found those sorts to be very rare in all my time playing this game.

Pretty sure I've said this already in this thread but I've seen a few people mention that they're afraid to run things they're not familiar with or get major anxiety about grouped content and it makes me kind of sad as I think the very best experiences in this game are to be found when you go in blind and have to think on your feet. It makes you a far better and more capable player in the long run too. The thing to remember is that outside of the savage-tier raids and the EX trials all of the content in this game is designed to be able to be completed fairly easily by just about anyone and the mechanics and outgoing damage in dungeons in particular are tuned to be pretty forgiving. At its core it's a casual-friendly MMO designed for broad appeal. If you've got this far then you're already well-equipped to be able to deal with whatever a dungeon can throw at you, so just jump in and have fun.

With regards to inventory space you're simply doing what every single person does at the start and hoarding mountains of shit that you just don't need. If you have three retainers and are still running out of space then it's definitely time for a clearout. Unless it has immediate use (like skins for a particular leather for a leatherworker leve or something) then just get rid. Either sell it on the MB if it's worth something (unlikely at lower levels) or just discard it. Your gatherers can get anything you need in a pinch if needs be and the vast majority of the rest of it can either be had for peanuts on the MB or bought from vendors somewhere or other. Every 5 levels or so with crafters you effectively move up a tier in terms of materials and so pretty much everything prior to that becomes effectively obsolete or so easily available that it's utterly pointless hanging on to it. Just get into the habit of ruthlessly clearing out what you don't need and you'll end up thanking yourself later.

All brilliant advice, thanks. I think I'll already drop the MSQ roulette as my level is already shooting up, and as you say, it's pretty grim for the cut scenes. I'll have a mats clearout day too soon. 

Thanks for the advice on the augments as well, I've just started a quest from MD that seems to be connected to that, I assume it's going to lead me to the right place.

Think I need to take a deep breath and not get too worried about stuff. I always want to know what all the mechanics and tools in a game are, and so much has opened up at 50 I just need to go with the flow. There is obviously a lot of vendors/gear that is not relevant any more, and I need to just ignore that stuff for the time being.

And I'll throw myself into the dungeons. It's weird coming from WoW where everyone had deadly boss mods installed, everyone expected you to be brilliant and getting kicked was pretty common. Dungeons in general have been pretty fun.

I like doing the MSQ roulette. It's super relaxing.

It's also nice that once you unlock expansions you can get nice gear for gil for levelling or alts.

My first character was a Warrior and I used to get terrible tanxiety on new dungeons; this was back in 2.0 when it was all still pretty tough and having to lead a team through a dungeon you didn’t know and work out mechanics on the fly was really tough. People would get quite cross when all they wanted was a 15 minute romp through a dungeon they’d played a hundred times before and the tank was floundering around not even knowing where to go. 

As a DPS it’s much much easier to pick it up as you go through and jumping into new dungeons I’ve never seen before is great fun. 

If anyone needs any Battered Fish for the seasonal event, I can drum up a ton of it, got loads of the mats sat with a retainer. Though I suspect as it's only a level 5 recipe most people can do their own.

If you want to make a nice chunk of change then make stacks of 15 and sell it on the marketboard. I made nearly half a million this morning just doing that as it's piss easy to make and people are very lazy so will happily buy it in order to get all the event items with zero effort.

2 minutes ago, pinholestar said:

If you want to make a nice chunk of change then make stacks of 15 and sell it on the marketboard. I made nearly half a million this morning just doing that as it's piss easy to make and people are very lazy so will happily buy it in order to get all the event items with zero effort.

That’s my plan this evening. The market boards can be good though. I just did the summoner relic quest and needed a picatrix at level 50 with 2 specific materias in. Got one for 20k on the board. Now when I am managing to sell level 20 armour for 5k a pop, that’s not too expensive. Am going to spend some time now getting the gatherers and crafters to 50. I presume glamour prisms might be good money too,  must check that later

Remember that you can visit other world's servers now and buy stuff from their marketboards too. If you're on the hunt for something specific you can often snap up a real bargain if it's overpriced on your own.

That’s a good point. I was amazed at the price I paid though and the price people pay for my stuff. 

Once I get crafters up to my main level it’ll be brilliant to be self sufficient and sell this stuff though. That’s got to be the goal at the moment