rllmuk
Mace Masterson

Final Fantasy XIV: Online First post updated with lots of info. Join Moogle!

25 quests left until the end of Heavensward. I don't think I've enjoyed a MMO this much in a very long time. A mmo story? Never.

I do like that the dungeon and boss mechanics are manageable mostly without reading any strats. Certainly the levelling stuff.  There's something to be said for all the players not being equipped with addons that force the devs to make the dungeons ever more insane and complicated.

Still haven't ran into any angry young men bitching about wipes yet either. I say "First time" and people are super cool.

Also my staff has an animated face that expresses shock when unsheathed :)

15 minutes ago, Garwoofoo said:

I swear someone roared past me in the Regalia from FFXV the other day. It looked absolutely ridiculous. 

I saw one of those in my first week. It appeared and zoomed off. My son just turned to me and said "Dad, did I just see a car? I'm not imagining things am I?"

I would never use that. Completely wrong.

8 hours ago, Takizawa said:

I've never liked OTT mounts and cosmetics in MMOs, the car is the worst I've seen.

I was looking at how to get a different mount, and to be honest, I am not bothered. I think the standard one is cool, and the fact you can customise it with bardings is nice. There is nothing else that makes me really say oooh, I want that. I think it's a weak point compared to WoW but I'd rather they concentrated on the core game than making more cool mounts so thats fine by me!

I don't need anything but my Choco fren. Especially now he can fly.

So I spent my entire three day weekend mainlining Heavensward. Time to slow it down and take a break and try out one of my other jobs. I want a range DPS to play. I'm not a huge fan of black mage. Sure they're strong but not very mobile and the long cast times feel bad to me. From when I first played at launch I had a bard at 30 and a lot of her skills are instant cast which is very pleasant.

I'll see what the queue times for levelling dungeons are like with her tonight and maybe play some Palace of the Dead. It's been a while since I dps'd though. How do you activate a limit break?

I always stick to using Boco too. I do have other mounts but never use them.

11 hours ago, Garwoofoo said:

I swear someone roared past me in the Regalia from FFXV the other day. It looked absolutely ridiculous. 

The Regalia was a recent FFXV event and I agree, it's ridiculous.

I had a Dancer in the Trial I did the other night, could barely tell what was going on as there were colourful explosions everywhere!

Minions annoy me too, everyone seems to be lugging one around these days and it just adds to the visual clutter. They don’t serve any purpose, do they? I’ve tried turning off the display names for other people’s minions but it doesn’t seem to work. In fact I wish you could reduce the size of the names above everybody’s heads but it’s the one display option the game doesn’t seem to have at all. 

On 21/07/2019 at 11:19, Garwoofoo said:

I did the first two raids of the Crystal Tower series (level 50 24-man alliance raids) last night and they were fantastic fun. It was my first experience of 24-man content in FFXIV and I was expecting (a) a long queue and (b) a challenge and neither of those things materialised. I got into each raid in less than ten minutes and we cut through them like butter, I just basically followed everyone else and punched stuff at random and it seemed to work. (Although levels are synced, equipment levels aren't, so everyone's massively overpowered now compared to when these were released). Still, seeing a whole crowd of people racing around is somehow really funny, like a Final Fantasy XIV flash mob rather than an adventurers' alliance.

I started thinking about the raids last week, partly just to clear the quests from my log so watched the strategy videos for the first one, but still a bit cautious. After this post decided to give them a go, had a refresher with the videos and went in. I probably spent more time preparing then actually in the raid, more of a blur than fun. Was still useful to watch the videos though, as there are parts that no matter your level you can mess up and cause problems.

Was good to get the first one done though and can start working on the rest now.

So that's Eden stuff done. (First time as a current content, cutting edge raider)

They were great fun! First 3 are on the complex end of trials, but not outlandishly so. Pretty as well.

Fourth is a step up. We had to use 3rd Level Healer Limit Break twice :lol: And as Red Mage I'd never felt so valuable.

Can see I'll be happy to "farm" them for a while - and I really like the approach to loot. (8 items drop, for 8 people, if you win one you can't win another that week. So everyone will get *something* at least, or you can keep trying if you really want a certain bit)

I was pleasantly surprised last night. I decided to keep the MSQ for my weekends and use my weeknight gaming for levelling alt jobs. I started with my Bard and queued up for the levelling roulette.

Queue time was 12 minutes. Back at launch I don't think I ever got below 40 minutes on a dps class. Once inside the tank asked the healer if it was ok to pull everything between each miniboss. The healer was happy and a fantastic time was had by all. (Bard AOE is super fun and powerful)

I then went into the Palace of the Dead which is a nice addition but can be a bit frustrating if you don't get a good party mix. With a trinity party it's a breeze. You don't get a healer or a tank and it's a kiting chore :)

Really enjoying the bard though even though I don't have most of her skills yet. Went from 30 to 34 last night.

I’ve not had to wait more than 15 mins for MSQ dungeons as dps which is very bearable. Finally got back on the MSQ this weekend and am now finding that I need to do side quests to get to the required level for main quests so schlepping around Coerhas at the moment. Level 37 and climbing

55 minutes ago, Vorgot said:

I’ve not had to wait more than 15 mins for MSQ dungeons as dps which is very bearable. Finally got back on the MSQ this weekend and am now finding that I need to do side quests to get to the required level for main quests so schlepping around Coerhas at the moment. Level 37 and climbing

Make sure you do your hunting log. Super easy and a good chunk of XP for each 10 level tier.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Flub said:

Make sure you do your hunting log. Super easy and a good chunk of XP for each 10 level tier.

Thats a good tip actually, I had forgotten all it about. Once I've finished these quests I'll jump on it. Cheers

I’m addicted to side quests. I’m over-levelled already in Stormblood but I’ve just spent all evening clearing all the side quests around Heaven on High. The world building in this game is just too good, and I found a bunch of Aether Currents in the process too. 

So. I'm shopping around for a nice DPS class that is mobile and instacast. I've got a bard at 36 and a machinist at 30 (Just unlocked). Any preferences for which is more fun at higher level?

I don't think any are instant cast - but Red Mage is great fun. (Think you have to be 50 for that). The Dancer is also meant to be really fun to play (but you have to be 60)

Resetera recommended dancer too which appeals to me. I thought I needed to unlock the ShB story to get to them but apparently that's not the case. And my WHM is level 59.5 so I could unlock her tonight.

Does she get some gear to start with? Or is is likely I'll be able to buy some crafted or something? I'm assuming I won't be able to trade dungeon currency for level 60 gear until I finish the HS MSQ?

10 minutes ago, Flub said:

Resetera recommended dancer too which appeals to me. I thought I needed to unlock the ShB story to get to them but apparently that's not the case. And my WHM is level 59.5 so I could unlock her tonight.

Does she get some gear to start with? Or is is likely I'll be able to buy some crafted or something? I'm assuming I won't be able to trade dungeon currency for level 60 gear until I finish the HS MSQ?

I've started a Red Mage at 50 and a Gunbreaker at 60 - both give you a weapon and a case of gear (mostly armor, not accessories IIRC)

14 minutes ago, Hexx said:

I've started a Red Mage at 50 and a Gunbreaker at 60 - both give you a weapon and a case of gear (mostly armor, not accessories IIRC)

Ah cool. I was concerned since MCH starts at 30 and just gave me the weapon and crystal. That makes things easier. Hell. I'll make both! I love that I can have my gear/job sets just as icons in a spare bar.

2 hours ago, Flub said:

So. I'm shopping around for a nice DPS class that is mobile and instacast. I've got a bard at 36 and a machinist at 30 (Just unlocked). Any preferences for which is more fun at higher level?

Bard has had a lot of its utility removed in 5.0 so that it's no longer such an overt support class. The core playstyle of the job hasn't changed at all though. It's still the most mobile job in the game with an entirely instacast kit that feels very busy and always has you pressing something. Doesn't have a 'rotation' as such as it's more about keeping up your song buffs, watching your DoT's and keeping an eye out for the big damage skills when they proc. Definitely a fun job if you like to keep busy yet stay out of the fray and always be able to keep on the move. Like many others though it is pretty boring until you reach at least level 70.

Machinist saw a total rework from the ground up for 5.0 and is now a hell of a lot of fun. It used to be all about building up your heat guage and then unleashing it at once but it has a wider spread of mechanics now and keeps you more consistently engaged in my opinion. It seems complex but it's actually been fairly simplified once you get to grips with it. It's a gunslinger that summons automata to the battlefield and has use of a flamethrower. What more could you want? Its new guise has had a very good reception across the board from both newcomers and those who've been playing it for a long time.

Since they sucked a lot of the fun out of Scholar in 5.0, Dancer has to some degree become my new main. Probably the easiest and simplest job to play in the game right now (although there's a definite skill ceiling in terms of really maximising its output) it is also one of, if not the, most gloriously fun to play too. A swirling dervish of cascading sound and colour that has heaps of party utility by buffing everyone's damage and in particular that of your chosen dance partner, it also has a huge damage burst potential. I love to keep on the move weaving in and out of mobs and appropriately enough dancer lives up to its name by having a beautiful rhythm to it once you get up to speed with how it works. It's just really really fun and I'd highly recommend it. Only caveat I'd add is that it is highly dependent on RNG procs, so you'll spend a lot of time looking at your hotbars to see whether they're available or not. Doesn't bother me but some people don't like too much RNG in their job rotations, so might be worth considering if you're one of them.

Red Mage is fantastic fun too. Before dancer came along it was my go-to job if I just wanted to relax and have fun without worrying too much about any complexity or demands on skill. Essentially the playstyle revolves around building up your black/white mana guage by alternating between two skills from distance and then leaping in to unleash a high damage melee combo once it's full, before leaping back out again to do it all over again. It also has the ability to insta-raise at any moment and a reasonable cure spell so is always a welcome addition to parties for dodgy healers. It's very simple and very clean to play but also has a beautiful rhythm to it (which is what I tend to look for in a job) and was very popular throughout Stormblood.

Truth be told, they're all good choices and I have all of them at lv80 so feel pretty confident in being able to recommend any one of them as being fun to play.

• Upvote 2

Cheers for the help guys. Going to push my WHM the last half level to 60 tonight and then unlock Dancer and give her a go. I like the idea of having a lot of utility. Plus at 50 I'll be able to give her a nice daily push with roulettes. Are the cooldowns for those job based or character based?

It's been a long time since any MMO has grabbed me by the balls and demanded my time like this.

9 minutes ago, pinholestar said:

Roulettes are once per day per character not per job, so choose wisely!

Dancer for a bit I think after I unlock her tonight. My WHM is already well ahead of the Heavensward curve. I'll worry about Stormbringer levels when I get there :)

I was going to level a bard as a side class for ShB but with the removal of a lot of the utility I’ve found Machanist a lot more fun. It’s got a nice rhythm to it and not having to worry about any cast times is glorious.

I’ve a Red Mage slightly more levelled than it and I’m not quite sure which will replace the AST when they get to 80. Not mained a DPS in FFXIV yet, but they’re harder than I expected. I keep finding myself getting caught by mechanics I never had a problem with when I was healing.

Just did PoD with a level 50 tank (Inside there anyway) who

a) Didn't know where his tank stance button was. He had to go look

b) spent the entire time pulling a single mob at a time

c) raced off ahead after one pull, finally pulled a massive group but a second group had spawned on top of us after he'd sprinted off.

Durty failed. What a bloody waste. How do you get to level 50 even in PoD and still not know the basics?

Once we get a few more mukkers over level 50, does anyone fancy doing a run of Binding Coil, unsynced, for the story and shits 'n' giggles?

I've always wanted to do it but it's apparently still rock hard if you do it at 50 as was originally intended. Going in with an unsynced team of 60+ players could be quite a laugh.

I'd be up for that but it might take me a while to get there.

Which reminds me, need to jump on now. 

EDIT : In fact it'll take me ages as I get too sidetracked, so forget me. But I'll be up for stuff in the far flung future

I’d love to get involved in that. I’m level 49 and at the end of the Seventh Umbral Era quests. Am I miles away from unlocking it?