rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Mace Masterson

Final Fantasy XIV: Online First post updated with lots of info. Join Moogle!

I've not had chance to get on this so far this week and am genuinely missing it. Gonna try and get on tomorrow night so if people want inviting to the Linkshell be there

35 minutes ago, pinholestar said:

Yeah there’s a Battlecraft Supplier called Iron Thunder who’s just down from the main aetheryte in Limsa on the right hand side. He sells Disciple of the Hand/Land gear. Further down is the Fieldcraft Supplier called Syneyhil who sells tools for crafter and gatherer classes.

Found the tools guy earlier not the other one will have a look later. Cheers for that!

1 hour ago, wev said:

I've not had chance to get on this so far this week and am genuinely missing it. Gonna try and get on tomorrow night so if people want inviting to the Linkshell be there

I'll be on I think and would like an invite. Won't be able to chat much properly until I can use the companion app, which needs the full game, not just the trial. I can imagine trying to use the chat with a controller is a nightmare, and my mac keyboard won't work with the PS4

Related reading re controller targeting: 

I'd highly recommend learning the above if you're starting out as it'll become second nature and will massively improve the speed at which you can fire off your skills etc.

• Upvote 3

Thanks for that, I'll be bookmarking this page!

Did some cooking and fishing last night, now I have some basic clothes (thx again @pinholestar for pointing me to the vendor). It's just really nice to play an MMO again. Just logging in and pootling around a bit is fun. I know I can do the same kind of stuff in Skyrim, but the fact that there are loads of other players running around just makes it feel like a much more alive world. And the fact that I can change classes on the fly is brilliant as well. Thought I would like this but I've barely touched another game while I play this now, can see it becoming a new obsession. 

I said exactly that the other day "since I've re-subbed I've barely touched any other game" so decided I was going to finish Yakuza 0 (which I did). 

I'm loving this. Casually log in, do some hunting log stuff, do some triple triad (for an hour...), progress the MSQ if I'm in the mood to see some story. It's great!

So today I unlocked levequests. I presume that these are just a way to level quickly but in endgame might provide some decent rewards? So I don't need to worry too much about them at the moment, as I am working through MSQs and side quests I come across. I can see they would be great for levelling other classes though once you have done the main quests on a main class.

Thanks for the help so far on here, it's good to know that I have somewhere I can ask the daft questions!

Levequests are assigned a level, they're kind of like FATEs and you can do them as many times as you want so do them as and when you want to.

Anyone know what this is?

42 minutes ago, Vorgot said:

So today I unlocked levequests. I presume that these are just a way to level quickly but in endgame might provide some decent rewards? So I don't need to worry too much about them at the moment, as I am working through MSQs and side quests I come across. I can see they would be great for levelling other classes though once you have done the main quests on a main class.

Thanks for the help so far on here, it's good to know that I have somewhere I can ask the daft questions!

Levequests are generally used to level crafters and can be a little top up when you're levelling alt jobs. You earn a new allowance of 3 every 12 hours up to a maximum of 100. Unlock them as you come across them in each area but the MSQ is definitely the focus and most efficient way to level up on your first job.

32 minutes ago, wev said:

Anyone know what this is?

It's related to this quest: https://ffxiv.consolegameswiki.com/wiki/The_Greatest_Story_Never_Told

Quite a productive evening. Got through Tam-Tara (Hard) and Arnadapor Keep, I also reached level 54.

So I've (currently) got no dungeons I need to complete and the Trials I need to do (The Dragons Neck and Urths Fount) my item level isn't currently high enough.

I've got the quest and weapon to get my Gae Bolg lance but I need specific matwria to actuall get it

For anyone who is on the fence with this, the free trial really is very generous. I'm level 16 now, but will be on the free sub until 35. There are virtually no restrictions either, I've been able to start levelling the crafting classes as well. I think there is a cap on the Gil you can earn but I don't think thats an issue, and no gameplay elements seem to be locked off.

In short, well worth a try

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, wev said:

I've got the quest and weapon to get my Gae Bolg lance but I need specific matwria to actuall get it

Unless you really really want to do it I wouldn't bother with the relic quest. It's really long and grindy and the weapon is useless other than for glamour. Any weapon you get doing the Heavensward content will be better so you'd be better off just getting to that right away if you're not already.

Oh, I've just noticed they've opened up a new server on each of the EU data centres. Meaning I can transfer over from my current server to "Spriggan" on the Chaos data centre where moogle is located. Which I think I'll be doing tonight and get some Gold Choc feathers in the process. Especially with the new world visit system, meaning I can go to the other servers as I like (if there aren't many people around).

https://eu.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/playguide/option_service/world_transfer_service/population_balancing/

Do we have a cross server linkshell?

There's a difference? 

What do Golden Chocobo feathers do?

There's so much stuff in this game :lol:

50 minutes ago, wev said:

There's a difference? 

What do Golden Chocobo feathers do?

There's so much stuff in this game :lol:

You can exchange them for rare gear dyes and exclusive mounts from the calamity salvager.

And yeah it does get a bit overwhelming. I’m in the process of cleaning out my inventory and retainers in preparation for Shadowbringers and the amount of random crap I’ve managed to hoard over the last couple of years is unbelievable.

Spent an hour doing cooking levequests this morning and filling out my crafting log but my inventory is full of food now! Need to unlock retainers, mounts would be good as well. I've let my MSQ get a bit behind I think, the quests are a few levels lower than me so going to concentrate on them for a bit. 

I've decided to actually start eating my food :lol: I sold all my fish as my retainers were full. Problem is that I love playing this via remote play and just fishing when I'm watching Formula 1

I can see how that would be fun! I always make sure I'm eating the food for the XP buff, but am hoping you can craft stuff with better buffs later on. I can imagine firing up the vita to do crafting while I sit watching the TV though

Officially hooked on this now as my character got a funky set of gear from the Hall of the Novice and I took a picture of them, it's now the lock screen on my phone. 

Just left Limsa on the airship with people waving me off (level 20 atm), and I really felt part of the story, even though a million people have done this before, this was my character, and I feel much more invested in them as they started as an empty vessel, and you see them permanently on the screen (as opposed to stuff like Skyrim etc). I don't what it is about it thats suckered me in, I've got a Fatal Bullet playthrough going with an initial blank character, but I don't have the same buy-in as I do here. And then a big cut scene kicked in that has nothing to do with anything I am doing, but just hints at the much, much larger story thats going to unfold. Brilliant stuff. Anyway, enough waffling, more adventuring.

And to add, after not being a huge FF fan in the past, I'm looking at getting Theatrerhythm Curtain Call for my 3DS now, as I love my rhythm action games and am aware enough of the music from the other games. And the demo is fun. When I go in on something, I seem to go all in!

Approaching the end of HS now I think.

They've really got the balance right in this. Unlike WoW where it stumbles of you being important, but also one of many, this has just said "Fuck it. You're the Warrior of Light". In story terms 24 man raids are you leading a team of random adventurers in. They've even added small dialogue choices. They don't impact anything, you're still mute, but it helps invest you slightly more in your character. It also helps them put you front and center in cutscenes - something WoW never did.

I've quite happily basically played this a single player game with a long arching story. You can ignore most side stuff, and once you get past the early MMO traps it works really well (although there are still MMO style missions - but it works like say, Mass Effect or Dragon Age Inquisition)

Love that casual saunter at the end :wub:  (Spoilers for later Heavensward Patches)

• Upvote 1

On 21/06/2019 at 16:51, Pixelbark said:

Oh, I've just noticed they've opened up a new server on each of the EU data centres. Meaning I can transfer over from my current server to "Spriggan" on the Chaos data centre where moogle is located. Which I think I'll be doing tonight and get some Gold Choc feathers in the process. Especially with the new world visit system, meaning I can go to the other servers as I like (if there aren't many people around).

https://eu.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/playguide/option_service/world_transfer_service/population_balancing/

Do we have a cross server linkshell?

A cross server LS would be a good idea. I'm on Omega (Chaos)and was considering a move back to Moogle, but I can't bear to lose my House :(

Couple of questions guys if thats OK.

Just done my first dungeon and everything went so quickly as the other plays were not sprouts like me and just blasted through. Active Help was throwing all kinds of crap at me (not knocking active help, its been a godsend for getting me to where I am), but there was zero time to read it. So then it came to looting. I had no clue what was going on. I assume it's similar rules as in WoW with need and greed. If it's an upgrade gear wise for the class you are in the group as, you can need, otherwise greed. Does the UI stop you needing on stuff you can't use with your equipped class? Also, I didn't do anything on some pieces, as everyone had run off further into the dungeon and left me behind. I had to go catch up. If you don't roll anything, does that count as a pass? Sure it'll get clearer as I go on.

Also, the recommended gear button. Is this always the 'best' for you? For instance, I picked up a Grimoire that had 2 less magic attack, but + stats on intelligence, spell speed and crit (or something similar). The Best button told me to equip my better magic attack. So do you need to make judgement calls yourself? Or is there a way you can test on a dummy somewhere and see the results with different gear equipped?

Spent a lot of time on this today for very few main class levels as I got to travel to the other cities and picked up all the classes and did the initial quests for them all. Definitely need to work on MSQs as my inventory is nearly full, I need to unlock a retainer.

41 minutes ago, Vorgot said:

Does the UI stop you needing on stuff you can't use with your equipped class? Also, I didn't do anything on some pieces, as everyone had run off further into the dungeon and left me behind. I had to go catch up. If you don't roll anything, does that count as a pass? Sure it'll get clearer as I go on.

You can only roll Need on items that you can currently equip. If you don't roll anything and everyone else rolls Pass then by default you'll get the item. If someone in the party rolls Need or Greed then the loot will be locked until everyone has rolled.

Also, the recommended gear button. Is this always the 'best' for you? For instance, I picked up a Grimoire that had 2 less magic attack, but + stats on intelligence, spell speed and crit (or something similar). The Best button told me to equip my better magic attack. So do you need to make judgement calls yourself? Or is there a way you can test on a dummy somewhere and see the results with different gear equipped?

For weapons: higher ilvl = higher main stat, and main stat trumps substats almost always (apart from some very fringe exceptions like Bard and Crit, for example). 

For gear you can generally trust the recommended gear button, with the exception of low-level tank gear off the top of my head, as it defers to STR when it should be prioritising DEF. All the others are generally fine though for the most part.

Don't worry too much about substats until you reach the endgame and even then the differences really aren't that noticeable at all. As you're levelling up it should be pretty obvious which gear is the current best for your job.

In summary: generally speaking the higher the ilvl and primary stat the better the gear, as the gear progression in this game is very vertical.

Thanks @pinholestar, very helpful. I know the stats stuff isn't that important until I hit endgame, which is a long way off, but I like knowing how the systems work so I understand whats going on when I get there!

Also, I think with the patch this week you can run dungeons with NPCs as well? Will be interesting to see how that works with loot. But next time I'll be making sure I roll before I move on.