Straw Dogs - Remake to star James Marsden

The Straw Dogs remake was announced some time ago but it looks like it's moving forward with the first casting announced -

Marsden for Straw Dogs remake

James Marsden has landed the lead role in Rod Lurie's re-imagining of violent '70s thriller Straw Dogs.

The actor, previously best known for playing Cyclops in the X-Men movies as well as romantic comedies such as Enchanted and 27 Dresses, will play a screenwriter who moves with his wife to her hometown in America's Deep South only to find tensions beginning to manifest themselves in their marriage.

Matters become even more complicated when past conflicts re-emerge with the locals, leading to a violent confrontation.

The original Straw Dogs was set in England and was directed by Sam Peckinpah,with Dustin Hoffman and Susan George in the leads. It attracted notoriety because of a graphic rape scene.

Marc Frydman will produce the new Straw Dogs which is, once again, based on Gordon Williams' novel, The Siege at Trencher's Farm.

Comingsoon.net have post this update (response to negative criticism of Marsden?)

UPDATE: ComingSoon.net doesn’t generally editorialize our news stories with personal opinion, but knowing something about the screenplay and the direction of the film, the casting of Marsden might be more appropriate than some might think. Firstly, the character isn’t meant to be the nebbish type, as he was played by Hoffman in the 1971 movie. Instead, Rod Lurie seems to be going back to the original novel as reference, and in his version, Marsden’s character is a screenwriter doing research on a film about Stalingrad, a pivotal battle during WW2 where the Russians turned the tide on the German invasion.

With that in mind, one could probably presume that Lurie’s military background from his time at West Point might come into play with how Marsden deals with the men who threaten him and his wife, but we’ll have to wait to see what the connection is between his WW2 research and the American South, where the film takes place.

• 2 months later...
Bosworth and Skarsgård Board Straw Dogs

Source: Variety

July 16, 2009

Kate Bosworth (21, Superman Returns) and Alexander Skarsgård ("True Blood") have signed to star alongside James Marsden in Straw Dogs, Screen Gems' reimagining of the 1971 Sam Peckinpah film.

Rod Lurie wrote the script and will direct. Shooting is scheduled to begin in August.

Marsden plays a Hollywood screenwriter who relocates with his wife to her hometown in Mississippi. Bosworth plays the wife, who left the South for LA. to become an actress and returns home so her husband can finish his script in quiet. Skarsgard plays her high school boyfriend, an ex-football hero who sees the return of his former girlfriend as a way to reclaim glory.

• 5 weeks later...

Motherfucking James Woods!

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=58059

Director Rod Lurie (The Contender, Nothing But the Truth) is well into rehearsals on his version of Sam Peckinpah's Straw Dogs, which is scheduled for release on February 25, 2011.

James Marsden, Kate Bosworth and Alexander Skarsgard were announced as the principal cast over the last few months and recently, Walton Goggins from "The Shield" was announced as having joined the project.

Over the past month, Lurie has been posting random, somewhat vague updates on his Facebook page about progress on the project, the most recent one revealing two more of the cast:

"Beginning stunt rehearsals today with James Woods and Dominic Purcell."

Dominic Purcell was the star of the popular Fox show "Prison Break" and legendary actor James Woods last appeared in David Zucker's controversial An American Carol, but hasn't been making too many live action movie appearances in recent years.

• 1 year later...

As pointless a remake as I Spit on your Grave.

The 'Spit' remake turned out to be better than the original (which wasn't too hard but still).

I've largely ignored any news on the Straw Dogs remake so the casting of Marsden is pretty baffling to me. Not because he's a bad actor or anything, I actually think he's good in a number of roles. He's just not an 'everyman' which I think Straw Dogs really needs, someone who is rather unassuming. Putting specs on Marsden does not make him an everyman.

You just know that this film will have implied rape, without seeing any of it. Not that I like seeing a rape scene.

I had assumed that being a much more recent movie it would be more gruesome, then again american production.

Also the fly with jeff goldblum was a great remake, I just hope this one wont be crap like most.

Changing the english villagers to rednecks is a pretty nice touch.

• 5 weeks later...

I'm losing faith in this remake by the minute. Need to see James Marsden, if he manages to convey the sense of repression, timid anger boiling under the surface of the protagonist, then I'll probably like it anyway.

• 4 months later...

So a friend watched this last night and thought it was decent enough. They changed a few minor details

Charlie is no longer held at gunpoint when Amy's raped by the other dude, but they apparently kept the rest of the scene the same (is it, isn't it rape). The scene where Amy has flashbacks now takes place during a football game (the town drunk whose daughter is killed by Niles is the old football couch) and the ending was also changed, it ends with David standing outside the house, watching the barn burn down and saying 'I got them all'.

James Marsden is apparently really good but more surprisingly, Kate Bosworth is equally impressive as Amy.

I doubt I'll be watching it until it hits BR, but based on what he told me, it's the not train-wreck we all thought it would be.