Scog

The iOS gaming thread

It seems there is not much discussion here about iPhone games so in a similar style to the PS3 owners thread, we find ourselves reading one right now.

With the exception of Rolando and Bejeweled 2 the game I've played most on mine is Cube Runner. This is not only free but perfectly suits the 'few minutes spare' situation that presents itself so often. Basically you just tilt the phone to move your ship, get high scores and avoid shit. Simple graphics and gameplay, great game.

cube-levels-4.jpg

• Upvote 1

Another vote for Cube Runner here - great game.

Also on my 'most played' and recommended list...

- Rolando

- Chess with Friends

- Pixelcross

- Fieldrunners

- Edge

- Pinball Dreams

- Skybound

As mentioned in the iPhone Apps thread, its starting to become my mobile gaming platform of choice. I didn't think it would be able to touch the DS initially, but on a couple of recent flights I didn't even bother taking the DS along with me as the iPhone had more than enough to keep me occupied.

(Moving this here, as I've only just written it)

I've bought quite a few of the 'big' games like Sway, Rolando, Metal Gear Touch, Pinball Dreams, iDracula, Fieldrunners, Geodefense etc and the forumite games Pop and Skybound.

However, I've recently bought a few 59p that are great. Below I haven't reviewed the games fully, but just to draw your attention to them so you might want to check them out further.

Flight Control:

flight-control_4.jpg

A very simple arcade game where you have to direct planes to their correct landing runway - there's 3 types; commercial airline runway, light aircraft and helicopter pad. There is different types of aircraft which move at different speeds ie small commercial aircraft move slower than the jumbos. You simply draw the flight path with your finger, but have to avoid collisions. It's got a lovely 1940's feel about the presentation and you're trying to beat your high score. It's a great little game that is well reviewed on toucharcade and the Apps store - well worth 59p.

I also bought ATC 4.0 for the same price, but don't find it as good even though it has more to it.

Airport Mania:

306440575screen.jpg

First thing, don't be put off by the graphics - they are great in motion and have a bit of character to them. This game is similar to the time management games like Supermarket Mania, Cakemania, Diner Dash etc. I tried the demos of all of those types of games, but plumped for this one - and I'm glad I did. Fab little game, you can upgrade your airport and there's plenty of levels.

GI Joyride:

gj_bridge.png

Recently been discounted to 59p and there is an update due soon. You simply drive your APC on an infinite length track trying to go as far as you can. You can accelerate and brake and shift the weight of your vehicle. You can get a score combo by killing Nazis who stand on the road and while there is ramps and jumps, you have to try and keep a high speed up, but also keep your APC upright.

Each are simple, with not a huge amount of options, but are good fun and suit the iPhone well - worth taking a punt on each of them.

I also picked up Monster Trucks Nitro for £1.19 which came out today and I enjoy playing it, but the frame rate drops at times. Replayability is in trying to better your scores. I like it, but don't recommend it like the above.

As mentioned in the iPhone Apps thread, its starting to become my mobile gaming platform of choice. I didn't think it would be able to touch the DS initially, but on a couple of recent flights I didn't even bother taking the DS along with me as the iPhone had more than enough to keep me occupied.

Yeah, me too. Perhaps it won't last, but I haven't even turned on my DS since I've had my iphone and I LOVE my DS.

Gonna try out the Pixelcross game you mentioned.

One-Dot Enemies is pretty addictive. The screen is entirely white, save for single pixel enemies that you poke. When you're done you go into a menu and "flush" all the enemies you've prodded, adding them to the global total. Great for killing two minutes.

Has anyone got any racer recommendations?

I quite like the demo of Fastlane, might get that - quite Ridge Racery. Just tried Aqua Moto and it seems very boring, although the lite version is most likely really easy and slow.

Been playing Edge the last few days on the train.

896018-200x300.jpg

It's quite nice, I like the style and presentation; it reminds me of old 8-bit isometric games likes Bobby Bearing & Spindizzy (showing my age there!)

But I can't help feeling, if it wasn't for the slightly tricky touch screen controls there wouldn't be much of a game, if you were playing this with a keyboard or joypad it would be so easy as to not be a game at all. Still it's a nice enough distraction for 25 mins.

An honourable mention to Skybound - a great little game that draws you in. I've also handed it to my mates when they've asked what apps I have on my iPhone and they've loved it. Plus, it's made by a forumite!

This thread should become very popular now jason from the gadget show has crowned the Ipod Touch the best hand-held games console, thrashing the psp and trouncing the DSL.

This thread should become very popular now jason from the gadget show has crowned the Ipod Touch the best hand-held games console, thrashing the psp and trouncing the DSL.

Why the fuck is everyone so bitter about what someone on the fucking Gadget Show said? I mean Gee-Zeus.

PuzzleManiak is good value. 20 simple puzzle games including sudoku, minesweeper, mastermind, tsunami and that untangle game that every multitouch hardware likes to demonstrate. It has a daily challenge and you can post your best times on a puzzle to see if anyone can beat them. £2.99 if I remember, makes it about 15p per game.

Another vote for Skybound, Zen Bound, iDracula, Rolando. All essential.

I've also downloaded The Quest, a first person adventure RPG. Haven't played much of it yet but I'll give my thoughts here when I do. I'm hoping it'll be a proper Daggerfall experience but I doubt it. £3.49.

Then there's Trapped. A Survival horror game. Again, not got round to playing much of it, but from what I've heard, there's a scacity of ammo, so you really have to pay attention to which zombies you kill and which you try to avoid. Sounds intruiging but could be crap. Was 59p when I got it. Currently £1.19.

Trappedreview1-468x.jpg

It looks very confusing, but intriguing.

Is Zen Bound really that good? Is it really just wrapping rope around stuff??

Oh - and let me know if anyone finds a decent Slitherlink game!

its actually pretty simple, balls appear and gates appear. You combine or split balls to the size of the gates.

Bought Rolando, but played mostly Word Jong. Love the daily challenge that is the same for all so you can post scores on Twitter etc. Really competitive.

Oh - and let me know if anyone finds a decent Slitherlink game!

Oh god yes.

I had a few on for my previous Windows Mobile phones, but they were crap coz they relied on randomly generated grids, which were either bafflingly impossible or a breeze. Not a patch on the DS game

The Quest is brilliant - I used to play it on my old Dell Axim, so picked it up immediately. It's Dungeon Master style controls, step & turn based movement/combat, but you only run a single character. Quests generally have a few options for completion. Say you've been asked to rescue a kidnapped wife, you can either rescue her, collect the ransom for the kidnapper, or end up cheating all sides and just leave with the cash. They've done a couple of updates to make it easier at the start and make the controls a little more fluid. Definitely worth the money.

Whilst tricky to get the hang of, I've been enjoying both Sway and The Void, Puzzle Quest is as great as ever (particularly as its now the entire DS game), Bounce on is a superb platform game, and Archibald's Adventures is a well made platform/puzzle game. I think most of those have a lite version.

Masochists may also enjoy Rogue Touch, and updates are slowly steering it from Rogue towards NetHack, making it much more interesting.

[note: you can link the games you mention by right clicking on their name in the iTunes store, and selecting copy URL.]

I've played some Rogue Touch, it's pretty good.

http://www.chronosoft.com/

roguetouch3_.pngrogue_touch_nicemap.png

I've played a lot of handheld roguelikes, and it's rare treat for someone to actually think about the controls and make it really playable on a device without a keyboard. The graphical titles which are normally anathema in the roguelike world are great too. The only real criticism is it's a bit simple, as it's based on Rogue (which is the ancient grandaddy of all roguelikes) which is fairly primitive (so no shop, race/class system or magic).

Note. There are two versions on Rogue available for the iPhone; there is also a free one - just called Rogue which is OK but isn't as good as Rogue Touch

iMob is compulsive. Log in every few hours, kill some people & buy some property. Barely constitutes a game but I keep going back to it for some reason. TapDefense and Sentinel seem decent tower defense games. MiZoo is Zoo Keeper. Zentomino and Theseus are good if you are into giving your brain a workout. Labyrinth 3D works well and seems to be a good way to show off the power of the iPhone / iTouch. It's just a ball in a maze but anyone can play and understand it.

Bought Rolando, but played mostly Word Jong. Love the daily challenge that is the same for all so you can post scores on Twitter etc. Really competitive.

Just bought WordJong on your recommendation - it's on sale at the moment for 59p so worth a punt by the sound of it. What's your Twitter? Will start posting some scores soon :hat: (I'm Bushtopher - same as on here)