DonRumsfeld

Nine Inch Nails calls it a day

Just now, Captain LeChuck said:

Nope. Calls is grammatically correct. Would you say NIN are a band, or NIN is a band? :)

Eh? I would say they are a band, and that Nine Inch Nails call it a day. 

Just now, Captain LeChuck said:

The band is a single entity. Therefore the singular use is correct. But like I said, both are generally accepted these days. :)

I think you're wrong. 

We've called it a night. We're gonna call it a night. We calls it a night? 

Despite Reznor basically being a one man band, NIN is the name of his band, and it is a collective,  rather than a name for his alter ego. 

So, NIN are at the bar. They call for a round of drinks. Not, they calls for a round of drinks. 

Since when is a band singular? If you believe it is, then you would say NIN is at the bar. Is denoting the singular entity. I've seen this way of talking about bands before, usually by the American press. And we all know that they're never wrong ;)

They can also be used to denote a singular entity though, typically if you didn't want to refer to a person by gender. 

So. There's Genesis P Orridge at the bar, they're ordering a drink.

In the UK groups can be either singular or plural, but we usually go with plural - Arsenal are a football team and Orange Goblin are a stoner rock band. Whilst fact-checking just now I learnt that there are a few things that should always be plural, such as the police (the law-enforcement agency, not the band).

In America groups are generally singular - The Dallas Cowboys is an American football team and Guns N Roses is a rock band (I use G n' R as the example here because reading the credits on Appetite for Destruction back in the day was the very first time I ever spotted this issue. They read "Guns N' Roses is...")

4 hours ago, MrPogo said:

To get back to NIN: I got 7th row tickets for the Southbank Centre show. Not too shabby! :D 

It's seated? lol

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, robotattack said:

Such a strange specification. If someone tells me to suck their cock I always imagine they would want the entire thing to be sucked, not just the tip. Maybe Reznor has some bad experiences with getting his cock sucked. 

• Upvote 2

Anyone listening to the new album ‘Bad Witch’ then? I enjoyed the previous couple of EPs, but this feels like they’ve really built on that sound and delivered something fresh and exciting. Certainly the best thing they’ve done for years, possibly since Year Zero, and if they can carry on in this vein we’re in for some good times.

I think it's cool that they're doing something they believe in, I honestly think they're artistically sound and hats off to them for it. It's not for me though, I will always be a fan of Trent and will always be interested in what he has to say but I think he's gone somewhere else now - my favourite album by NIN will be 20 years old next year. I don't think there's much reason they'll be coming back with something like it now.