rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
lordcookie

MUBI £2.99 a Month Film Streaming Service

To coincide with Criterions new site launch (you can now download their films for $5 and if you decide to buy the DVD as well you get the rental fee back) they have launched a new social networking site for film fans that also has free films to watch. The list is pretty small at the moment but it does have my all time favourite Japanese film - After Life.

http://www.theauteurs.com/

• Upvote 1

I've just signed up for that, and it looks excellent. Like you say, the list is tiny right now but it has a great deal of potential. It's a pity about the Sterling/Dollar rate at the moment, but if they get some decent pay films added I'll be more than happy to shell out for a viewing. The only problem I have is that I'll probably end up having to watch the films on my monitor instead of being able to watch them with others on the TV. I guess this is just another reason to invest in an HDTV in the not-too-distant future.

Cheers.

aces - signed up, many thanks - am going to watch After Life this weekend :-)

You won't be disappointed (I hope).

The forum is a bit crap on The Auteurs though. As more than one person can use the same name it becomes quite confusing especially when somebody with your name posts directly after you.

Oh good! I got an email from the site just now, altering me to six Merchant Ivory films that are available to watch for free. Unfortunately, when you get to the page that the promo is linked to you're informed that only viewers from the US, Canada and Puerto Rico are able to watch the films due to some distribution rights issue.

So if anyone's in one of those countries and missed Howard's Way the first ten times around, now's your chance to catch up.

Bah.

So what i've wondered is...are those movies that you can buy all imports for us Europeans? Or do you pay the price of the DVD's what they are worth in Euros withpout an additional import tax?

This has had a rebranding to MUBI:

http://mubi.com/

I didn't go on The Auteurs much after initially signing up so I can't really compare, but it still has a number of free movies to watch alongside the £1 and £3 attractions. There is also

They've signed a partnership with Sony for later in the year so it can be used on the PS3:

[yt]vKtw4c2iyf8[/yt]

http://studio.theauteurs.com/post/61039248...-home-with-mubi

From the link it says there'll be an all you can eat monthly subscription package - depending on the cost and assuming the library has increased by then I may be interested.

I still use their service from time to time I just wish the forums were a bit better as 95% of the threads are just list topics.

Crossposted in the PS3 thread, but I thought some film lovers might miss it there:

MUBI (formerly The Auteurs) finally comes to PS3 through a free download this Wednesday. £2.99 for a single rental, or a 30-day sub for £9.99 (and there's a small selection of free films, which is unfortunately tiny in the UK). To see the sort of films they offer, go to http://mubi.com/watch - although there's no mention of shorts in the PS3 announcement I'd imagine they'll cost £0.79 each like they do through the web browser.

It's almost enough to make me finally take my PS3 online. They have got an absolutely cracking list of films available to download.

Great stuff, I signed up to MUBI some time ago but haven't really utilised it as I'm not a fan of watching films on my computer, partly because the sound on my speakers is going and partly because I find it harder to concentrate when I can quite easily pop open a window and search some background in for on the film. So PS3 connectivity is a damn good thing.

And referring back to the OP, they also have my favourite Japanese film, Tony Takitani. :D

Checked it out, stream is a decent quality as far as standard-def downloading goes (sampled a bit of The Housemaid). Nicely presented. It also automatically pulled all my stuff from the web-based site, which I always find kind of scary.

Aye, I tried it too. Unfortunately I'd already typed up my somewhat rambling comments before I read your post, so I might as well hit paste anyway.

MUBI's now on the PS3 store (a 20MB download in the 'other media' section of the store).

The MUBI app itself seems ok. On my PS3 the app found my MUBI account and linked it to my PSN account without my doing anything at all - which was actually a bit worrying, as I didn't notice they were going to do that when I okayed the terms and conditions. The interface is quite nice, clean and slick, and although it was a bit slow to navigate that could well be because my at best low-speed internet connection has been a bit on the fritz the past couple of evenings. It allows you to do stuff like rating a film, 'liking' it (ugh), viewing its fans, sharing a link with your PSN friends, etc. I watched a few minutes of Metin Erksan's 1964 Dry Summer - b/w and 4:3 - and that streamed fine with no hiccups; video quality (SD, as are all MUBI offerings) was decent enough. A couple of fullscreen ads and trailers I tried paused to buffer every few seconds, however. Again, that would undoubtedly be a non-issue for people who don't have a completely fucked up downstream speed.

There's the usual problem with only a limited selection of the total number of films being available in any one particular territory. One of the menu options is 'discover', which allows you to browse through all the films in the MUBI library (17,249). As the icons for 2001, The Godfather, Citizen Kane, Pulp Fiction, A Clockwork Orange, Taxi Driver, Seven Samurai and many others populate your screen you might excitedly click on them, only to belatedly realise that none of them have the 'available films' icon next to them. Because hardly any of them are available in the UK: what you need is to select the 'watch' option in the main menu instead; this takes you to the 458 films that are available to watch in the UK. I tried a free rental (Don't Get Me Wrong, a 2007 Romanian film about an institution for the mentally impaired). PQ here was again passable - not quite as good as a decent SD broadcast - and oddly there was no stuttering at all; perhaps the bandwidth/quality for trailers or paid-for content is higher. I know that doesn't make sense, but there you go. Audio on everything seems to be pro-logic and subtitles are hard coded.

Basically, it's just like the MUBI web service but on the TV. Which is nice, but reminded me why I rarely visit MUBI: it's just too frustrating to see all that content which you're locked out of. I'll probably make the occasional visit to the app, but I don't think I could justify a sub, unless I decide to go crazy for relatively obscure 'world cinema' one month an use the £9.99 to cram most of I fancy from what's on offer down my eyes within 30 days. It probably wouldn't be that difficult.

Cheapo bonus: On Nov 20 the Mexican film Revolución will be free to rent for 24 hours to coincide with its world-wide theatrical release.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, I think for me it will remain a case of a £2.99 rental when I fancy seeing something rather than committing to any kind of sub.

I tried a free rental (Don't Get Me Wrong, a 2007 Romanian film about an institution for the mentally impaired).

Incidentally, I'd recommend this: it's a very minimalistic documentary that relies entirely on the characters of the patients themselves, and the framing of their restricted, loopingly obsessive lives against the natural world to provide insight into their, and possibly our, conditions. It's free to view and only about three-quarters of an hour long, so you might as well give it a shot. I thought some of the images were quite haunting; and it's kind of funny, too, in that Josef K way (in the sense of the song by the Edinburgh-based band, not of the novel by the Prague-based author; although there's clearly some overlap).

re: MUBI- Love the idea, the execution leaves much to be desired:

1. on startup on my PS3 it informs me: "we have found your MUBI account" OH YEAH

BUT THEN

- all my website-friends don't port to the PS3-app

- facebook connection on PS3 doesn't work (does on the M-website)

- my website lists don't port either, let alone my default/standard "want to watch" list (ie: the watchlist on PS3)

2. quality of the streams is mostly on par with VidZone meaning: _could_be_a_lot_better

...at least there's finally some official way of DL'ing the more rare movies (IF they're available in my region, that is)

(off to PBay again :coffee: )

MUBI are currently showing a selection of films that have shown at previous Cannes festivals, and the first 1000 viewings of each film are free (up until the end of June, but I'd expect the free viewings to all have been used up way before then). They're largely lesser-known works, but in view of the voracious film appetites of some in the folder their relative obscurity might be an advantage. They're listed and available at http://mubi.com/programs/la-semaine-de-la-critique

(Unfortunately, I won't be able to watch any of them myself as my broadband's so flaky at the moment I'm lucky if i can download more than a few MB of data without the line dropping.)

• Upvote 1

Criterion have a new service where you can now keep track of the Criterion films you own and the ones you want. There is no real benefit to this other than it satisfies our need to catalogue everything we own.

You can see my list here and click on the 'My Criterion' link at the top to add your own.

Criterion have a new service where you can now keep track of the Criterion films you own and the ones you want. There is no real benefit to this other than showing off your list makes staplehead cry.

:(

I do have Brazil, Videodrome and The Double Life of Veronique on Criterion DVD though.

Criterion have a new service where you can now keep track of the Criterion films you own and the ones you want. There is no real benefit to this other than it satisfies our need to catalogue everything we own.

You can see my list here and click on the 'My Criterion' link at the top to add your own.

My little contribution. I've only got their BDs, no DVDs.

Is anyone using this service? (I expect the only possible is LC, and even he probably isn't.) The reason I ask is that MUBI in the UK have just rejigged their service, but it seems a bit confusing. According to their website at http://uk.mubi.com a monthly sub is now £2.99 and makes available 30 films (and no more) at any one time, which are rotated one per day; so basically the oldest one drops off the list to be replaced by a new one every day at midnight. So there's not a huge selection at any one time, but the stuff currently showing seems a decent enough mix (see website for details).

However, on the PS3 app, even though the sub is also shown at £2.99, the selection seems to be in the old 'unlimited' format with far more than 30 available to view at any one time. Even more confusingly, as far as I can make out from the PS3 app's pretty but bloody awkward interface, some of the films in the website's 30 day list don't appear to be in this wider selection. A quick look at MUBI's support topics says they're in transition to the new 30-film service, so I guess the PS3 app is still hungover in the old system (but showing the new sub cost) and that's the answer to my question. Sort of. However I've still no idea if, should you watch one of the films on the PS3 that's not in the standard 30-film list, you get charged extra (like a PPV under the old system).

Just wondering if anyone actually used this service and knew the answer. Probably not, and in any case I think I've gone off the idea just while typing that out. I'm far too tired to watch any films now.