Sign in to follow this  
JohnC

Pinocchio from Del Toro - Now with added Netflix

We're going to need to clone Del Toro. The cat has enough projects on the go to last him until 2017 - and that's just at today's standing! But goodness, if you want to see anyone's handling of this kind of project, it'd be Del Toro's.

Well we won't be seeing this for a good 3-4 years at the earliest and del Toro is taking a producer role rather than being that hands-on (minus his involvement with the script). It does sound like material ideally suited to him though and Henson are amazing. I'd still prefer to see a staight adaptation of the story though.

One thing I will say though is that this could still go the same way his stop motion adaptation of The Witches went and never see the light of day (and that project had Cuaron as a producer too).

Woah, that concept art is great, imo. If they get the final product to look anything near those concept images, I'm all for it.

Woah, that concept art is great, imo. If they get the final product to look anything near those concept images, I'm all for it.

Thought exactly the same, looks gorgeous.

Looks like this has been reworked and he's just done a deal with Netflix. Still a darker take and using Grimly's designs. Del Toro will be co-directing with Mark Gustafson (Fantastic Mr. Fox). And it's a musical, set in 1930s Italy.

Said del Toro: “No art form has influenced my life and my work more than animation and no single character in history has had as deep of a personal connection to me as Pinocchio. In our story, Pinocchio is an innocent soul with an uncaring father who gets lost in a world he cannot comprehend. He embarks on an extraordinary journey that leaves him with a deep understanding of his father and the real world. I’ve wanted to make this movie for as long as I can remember. After the incredible experience we have had on Trollhunters, I am grateful that the talented team at Netflix is giving me the opportunity of a lifetime to introduce audiences everywhere to my version of this strange puppet-turned-real-boy.”

• Upvote 1