Sng

Star Wars: The Old Republic

http://www.1up.com/d...ory?cId=3170812

After months of rumors and leaks, BioWare has revealed its anticipated MMORPG set in the Star Wars universe, titled Star Wars: The Old Republic, reports GameSpot. The company has set up an official site, and we're watching the BioWare presentation for more details, but here's what we have so far.

So far, BioWare has been vague on a possible launch date, and the game is announced for PC only. They aren't ruling out the possibility of a console port, though, with EA vice president Greg Zeschuk commenting that "the PC version is all we've talked about so far." There will be an open beta "at some point."

The new game takes place 300 years after the other two Knights of the Old Republic games. The Jedi and Sith are still at war, and players can choose which side of the conflict to ally themselves with: the Galactic Republic or the Sith Empire. But the story is leaving open for some moral ambiguity on both sides. "There's a lot more people than Sith and Jedi in the Empire and Republic, so one of the things that became important to us is that we separate the idea of faction and good and evil," said head writer Daniel Erickson. In this game, being a member of one faction doesn't mean you're restricted to only doing good or evil things. IGN also reports that the story will be enhanced by companion characters, who will follow your main hero to help in battle and comment on your decisions.

Erickson also wants to make the Sith a more sympathetic villain in this game, explaining that they're an entire culture banished by the Jedi. "These are actual people. They have to have a legitimate point of view. You have to believe when you're playing that the things you're doing make sense and be proud of where you are." He promises that this will give each mission a special context, rather than the standard grinding found particularly in the early stages of most other MMORPGs.

The two factions will consist of various classes, each of which will have its own branching storyline based on the ethical choices BioWare is famous for. We know of Jedi and Sith classes so far, but others such as Elite Troopers or Assassin Droids are said to be possibilities as well. In this game, though, BioWare wants to make players responsible for their choices rather than letting them turn back the clock with a save point.

As for settings, the game promises "dozens" of worlds well-known by the Star Wars fans, like Coruscant, Tython, and Korriban. Some planets will be strongholds of the Sith Empire or Galactic Republic, while others will be battlegrounds.

Finally, the new title won't be replacing Star Wars Galaxies, which is promised to see continued support.

Official Site: http://www.swtor.com

Press release:

LucasArts and BioWare™, a division of Electronic Arts Inc. (NASDAQ: ERTS), today announced the development of Star Wars®: The Old Republic™, a story-driven massively multiplayer online PC game set in the timeframe of the Star Wars®: Knights of the Old Republic™ franchise. Star Wars: The Old Republic, being developed and published by BioWare and LucasArts, represents an innovative approach to interactive entertainment, featuring immersive storytelling, dynamic combat and intelligent companion characters.

In Star Wars: The Old Republic, players will explore an age thousands of years before the rise of Darth Vader when war between the Old Republic and the Sith Empire divides the galaxy. Players can choose to play as Jedi, Sith, or a variety of other classic Star Wars roles, defining their personal story and determining their path down the light or dark side of the Force. Along the way, players will befriend courageous companions who will fight at their side or possibly betray them, based on the players' actions. Players can also choose to team up with friends to battle enemies and overcome incredible challenges using dynamic Star Wars combat.

"Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic is the most critically acclaimed Star Wars game in LucasArts history and a preeminent example of our company's interactive storytelling heritage," said Darrell Rodriguez, President of LucasArts. "For a long time, we've long wanted to return to the franchise in a grand way, and we felt that the best setting for it was an online world that would allow millions of people to participate in the experience together. We knew that the developer capable of working with us to deliver an engrossing story with a fully-realized online world was BioWare."

"Traditionally, massively multiplayer online games have been about three basic gameplay pillars - combat, exploration and character progression," said Dr. Ray Muzyka, Co-Founder and General Manager/CEO of BioWare and General Manager/Vice President of Electronic Arts Inc., "In Star Wars: The Old Republic, we're fusing BioWare's heritage of critically-acclaimed storytelling with the amazing pedigree of Lucasfilm and LucasArts, and adding a brand-new fourth pillar to the equation – story. At the same time, we will still deliver all the fun features and activities that fans have come to expect in a AAA massively multiplayer online game. To top it all off, Star Wars: The Old Republic is set in a very exciting, dynamic period in the Star Wars universe."

Added Dr. Greg Zeschuk, Co-Founder and Vice President Development Operations, BioWare and Vice President, Electronic Arts Inc., "Star Wars: The Old Republic is set roughly 300 years after the events of Knights of the Old Republic, a timeframe that is completely unexplored in the lore. BioWare has been able to add to the Star Wars history in developing the game's story and has created an overarching narrative that players can enjoy, regardless of their play style. Our goal is to offer players an emotionally rewarding experience that combines the traditional elements of MMO gameplay with innovations in story and character development."

Additional details on Star Wars: The Old Republic features, gameplay and release date will be announced at a later time. For more information about Star Wars: The Old Republic and to sign up for future product updates, please visit www.StarWarsTheOldRepublic.com.

The only bad news being SWG is still getting supported.

This genre ought to be banned. I'm going to find that WoW thread so anyone potentially interested in this can see what will happen to their life if they give it a go.

Edit: http://www.rllmukforum.com/index.php?showtopic=194431

Don't become this, guys.

People like you make me laugh. The 'reformed' addict who does nothing but preach against the thing that used to have total control over their lives. Not everyone is as weak willed as you, pal.

MMORPGs rank somewhere between MS Excel and those Ubisoft games where the title is the name of an animal ending in 'Z' in terms of enjoyment.

For you, perhaps. Lucky not everyone is like you, then, isn't it?

Having gone from managing a music/movie/game store to a pure game store, the WoW crowd has become a real fucking pain in the ass.

No, I don't want to hear about your stupid fucking guild or your latest fucking raid, you lifewasting pinhead! It's all they ever talk about, a friend of one of my employees is even taking a year off to just play WoW.

What the fuck is that about?

• Upvote 1

And all them cunts playing the latest FIFA 09 online, in their fucking BAP teams, then coming back here to bang on about how FUCKING GREAT IT IS. Pinheads! :)

I'm really looking forward to this, hope they nail it.

NO. GO AWAY. GO AWAAYYYYYY!...

:)

I can understand the displeasure at this being an MMO; I love the KOTOR series, but this could be so good if they just fucking get it right. Which I'm slightly doubtful of :(

KOTOR's all about interesting characters and good storylines.

MMO games are, in my experience, not well-known for their amazing characters. Especially not your fellow players.

Storyline also tends to take a backseat.

Yes, I'm primarily talking about WoW.

Fuck off, WoW.

The lore in wow is actually really good. It's just not in your face story driven. People who want to get that out of the game, do. The other 90% ignore it.

Really? All I could find was a load of fucking books. I don't want to sit and read books about fantastic events. I want to see them happening on my screen.

• Upvote 1

The Sith in the past two games were pretty interesting, I thought. The Sith Academy thing on the first planet in KOTOR was cool to see, as it showed a lot of them to just be rather driven individuals (at least, that's what I can remember. It was quite a bloody while ago now).

They can story it up all they want.

If the core gameplay isn't different than the grind fest of WOW then they're doing it wrong.

If the mechanics and feel of the COMBAT isn't physical and tactile and full of empowerment to create a real connection between player and avatar, they're doing it wrong.

And by "wrong" I mean lazy.

Warhammer has such a sloppy, disconnected feel with it's combat. Far worse than WOW. What is it with these PC games that insist on your character repeating a load of attack patterns at a picture of an enemy and then you're still hitting the air/"hit" them a second ago (without them reacting) and they go "URRRRRRGH" and fall over. Using that same animation.

Utter gash.

I understand the limitations and problems involved with MMOs and all that malarky but there has to be more from this side of the gameplay. Even Conan with its "Amazing new combat system" (which is now being changed) went for a that very dullard of experiences did it not?

They can story it up all they want.

If the core gameplay isn't different than the grind fest of WOW then they're doing it wrong.

If the mechanics and feel of the COMBAT isn't physical and tactile and full of empowerment to create a real connection between player and avatar, they're doing it wrong.

And by "wrong" I mean lazy.

Warhammer has such a sloppy, disconnected feel with it's combat. Far worse than WOW. What is it with these PC games that insist on your character repeating a load of attack patterns at a picture of an enemy and then you're still hitting the air/"hit" them a second ago (without them reacting) and they go "URRRRRRGH" and fall over. Using that same animation.

Utter gash.

I understand the limitations and problems involved with MMOs and all that malarky but there has to be more from this side of the gameplay. Even Conan with its "Amazing new combat system" (which is now being changed) went for a that very dullard of experiences did it not?

I thought the same about Warhammer's combat at first, until i realised I didn't have spell effects switched on. Then it was the same as WOWs, essentially.

Also, how are they changing Conan's combat?

By sympathetic I'm assuming they mean 'ensure players understand why they are complete bastards'.

That has failure written all over it.

They can bring their philosophy on life in equal levels with the Jedi's but they can't really argue the reason for killing billions of people.

That is EVIL and I won't have it beautified! :)