Star Wars Clone Wars and Rebels, feat. Bad Batch

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I just finished the final season of  The Clone Wars. I can understand how some people thought it was fantastic but it didn't do anything for me.

Until the final 4 episodes,  wow, apart from looking like they chucked a metric fucktonne of money at it to make it look  eye bleedingly good at times the final arc is superbly done.As people have mentioned probably improves the prequels(I like a lot of things in  the Phantom Menace TBH, despite being aware of it's quite glaring flaws) ,specifically Revenge of the Sith.Pisses over the ending of most other series and ties in beautifully with the wider story.

Have started watching Rebels - it's knockabout fun at the moment.

On 10/02/2021 at 12:17, Mogster said:

Yeah, those Binks episodes were surprisingly not awful. My heart sank when the first one started up, but it was fine.

You're in for a treat with season 7. :D

yeah it made Binks actually likeable.

Why can’t they hire voice actors that can do English accents properly? The guy doing Tarkin and the guy who voiced Ob-Wan through seven seasons of the Clone Wars are nearly there, but completely miss the long ‘ah’ in RP English, eg Caahstle, Baahth, Advaahnce etc.

I’d have a much better chance of believing these are the same characters if they got this right. 

On 29/03/2021 at 13:43, lolly said:

I just finished the final season of  The Clone Wars. I can understand how some people thought it was fantastic but it didn't do anything for me.

Until the final 4 episodes,  wow, apart from looking like they chucked a metric fucktonne of money at it to make it look  eye bleedingly good at times the final arc is superbly done.As people have mentioned probably improves the prequels(I like a lot of things in  the Phantom Menace TBH, despite being aware of it's quite glaring flaws) ,specifically Revenge of the Sith.Pisses over the ending of most other series and ties in beautifully with the wider story.

Have started watching Rebels - it's knockabout fun at the moment.

If you pay attention to the ahsoka fight with a certain sith at the end you'll notice the animation is much better. They actually brought back the actor to do brand new mocap for it. I thought that was ace, as the movement in clone wars is generally a bit janky. 

• 1 month later...

Having started Clone Wars in January I finally finished it last night.

Main thoughts were that the Jedi were completely useless, the droid army even more so. The villains ran the show and were so much more interesting.

However the final 4 episodes were majestic, really bought things to a nice close plus looked amazing. Ali I wish I had watched this before the Mandalorian series, definitely helped explain some of the back story in some parts, especially the characters.

Gonna take a break before making a start on Rebels, hyped for that now. Then Bad Batch at the end to round it all off.

Is the Clone Wars film worth watching?

1 minute ago, Indy @ S.E. said:

The Clone Wars film kicks off the series - so if you've been through the whole lot without seeing it, I definitely wouldn't bother going back and revisiting it. It's pretty shit in its own right and its main purpose is to introduce Ahsoka.

1 minute ago, Indy @ S.E. said:

Not really.  It's Clone Wars at just about its worst.  From a canon perspective it's important because it features the introduction of Ahsoka, so you see her first meeting with Obi-wan and Anakin, but if you've watched the whole series already going back to this movie will feel...odd.

On 11/05/2021 at 09:37, Indy @ S.E. said:

Cheers, will give it a miss then.

No harm in skipping the film, but don’t miss the original clone wars “2d micro-series”, listed under vintage Star Wars on Disney+. 

I've decided to binge the episodes of TCW before I start on The Bad Batch. I originally got halfway through season 4, battling Disney Channel's ridiculous scheduling (they seemingly had no clue how series linking works and there would be several identical episodes on in the same week, all of which would record, only to then jump to episodes from previous seasons and then not record the next episodes that followed on grom where I'd gotten to - it was a nightmare). Eventually I lost track and gave up on trying to follow it. Now they're all on Disney+ it means I can carry on where I left off. I'm currently in a run of episodes where Obi-Wan is in disguise near the end of the season.

• 4 weeks later...

I just finished off Rebels  having previously watched all of the Clone Wars previously.  There are a lot of  excellent moments throughout the series  and some of the visuals in the final run in were fantastic, the  "formalisation" of the Rebellion before Rogue one /Ep 4 is  a pretty interesting  time too. 

Still think the Clone wars is a better series overall -  as mentioned there's excellent moments in Rebels, there's excellent episodes in Clone wars, including the final few episodes which is some of the best Star Wars committed to media.

I decided to catch up on the seasons of Clone Wars that I hadn't seen before beginning The Bad Batch, so essentially from a few episodes into season four onwards. Some absolutely masterful stuff in there, although you do get the occasional low points too with story arcs around the droids or the younglings where it feels a bit like Dave Filoni suddenly remebered that he should add something in there for the kids. :)

I might re-visit Rebels to re-watch the Ashoka / clones episodes now.

So me and the boy are up to series 6 

series 5 was brill, the Ashoka arc particularly good. 

6 however 

Spoiler

Banking bullshit was bad enough, but at least showed some interesting anakin bits. 
but then next - What the fuck ? Jar jar and his girlfriend the queen? Fuck off. Jar jar is the worst character in the entirety of fiction. 

Although Mace ‘rear’ windu is fucking rad