Oasis

I posted some fairly negative comments about the album in the original thread earlier today and it seems to have disappeared. Was this mods, or did the original poster just decide to delete it because of people not having the same opinion as theirs? Pretty annoying when you're following a discussion, and take the time to contribute towards it.

Answers on a postcard.

Anyway, what an amazing album. A real return to form. I've listened to it a few times now and can see that I was clearly wrong. It is indeed the album of the year, probably of all time. I was going to post this in the original thread but, shucks. Oh Well, at least you can't delete this one weightgain. Or can you.

I own up.... The thread sent me a bit crazy......apologies all

There was a lot of constructive criticism of the new album that Oasis would do well to take on board and no actual hate for the band. So to summarise my personal misgivings:

1. The unsubtle Beatles references are unnecessary for a band on its seventh album, and they're not even good Beatles references.

2. Psychedelia + Luddites = Spinal Tap horror. It doesn't work without comedy.

3. Noel's voice is really, really annoying on Get Off Your High Horse Lady.

4. They've ended up ripping off one of their supports acts, namely Kasabian. And as with the Beatles stuff, it sticks out a mile and detracts from their own qualities.

When they're actually being themselves, there's some decent stuff that shines through, albeit nothing really worth adding to their canon, and as soon as I hear John Lennon speak at the end of I'm Outta Time I want Mark Chapman to shoot me.

Balls, that was a good thread. It completely mirrored real life, where you meet the odd true fan and masses and masses of haters :D

Being a 'true fan' doesn't mean you just accept any old crap though. I think I'm a true Oasis fan, I loved the first two albums (Beatles/Bolan steals and all) but I'm honest enough to admit that subsequent albums have just got poorer and poorer. The only decent song on the last one was Layla and the only decent song on this one is The Shock of the Lightning.

If Noel ever puts the effort in and comes up with 12 songs as good as that I'll be the first to rave about it.

What really makes me laugh is that they've been cracking out out the same uninspired, vacuous toss since the second album with ever-diminishing returns and people still fall for the same cynical, shit-stained PR, viz. "It's a return to form"/"back to our roots"/"reconnecting with the people", etc. I mean, for Christ's sake. You're only put on this earth for a small time and you waste precious moments of it listening to Oasis' seventh album in the belief that it'll actually be any good at all.

You're only put on this earth for a small time and you waste precious moments of it listening to Oasis' seventh album in the belief that it'll actually be any good at all.

The thing is though, that every time they put out an album its preceeded by a single that suggests there might actually be a chance they have got their act together again. Then you hear the album and all your hopes turn to shit.

You watch, in three years time I'll be looking forward to the next one. :D

I wonder what that means sig ?? Good :wub: or bad :wub: ??

Mine was dispatched from amazon and also from the oasis store (Different version of course). Listening now and I swear, it's getting better and better. Easily the album of the year. By a country mile.

The whole album is excellent. I don't get this notion that the second half is worse. From I'm Outta Time onwards it really soars. So far, the only song that I keep forgetting about is Waiting for the Rapture. It's a bit anonymous between the amazing Turning and stonking Shock of the Lightning.

I'm really struggling to pick a favourite song though. So far it's between I'm Outta Time and High Horse Lady.

;)