rllmuk
Dr Seedyman

Shmups

5 hours ago, witchypoos said:

Goodboy Stanshall there, still agreeing to speak with us despite the uncomfortable fish related skin condition.

and can you tell us, does the game have analogue control?

For the viewers at home: push stick gently, birdy move more slowly?!

How many buttons are there, and where do you put them?

Is there a Christ?

Hello?!

I'm afraid he's gone to work, we'll bring you the latest as he arrives.

What are your thoughts on Ikaruga dear boy?

• Downvote 1

@kerraig UK, I don't play verts often (I enjoyed Raiden as well though) but there are a couple of very decent 'new' hori shooters around.

As mentioned, Infinos Gaiden

I'm up to level 5 (of I think 7?) and enjoying it a great deal. There's a huuuge difficulty spike at the third level boss (I'd been on my first life up til him) but it goes back to a more reasonable curve after that.

The influences are many and varied, most resembling Last Resort, Thunderforce and Air Buster though. Its cheap on Steam (about £8) and to answer your quezzie it does have some decent, heavy feedback. 

I also really like Super Hydorah, which has far fewer influences - its basically a Gradius clone! A very loving homage, and if you like the sound of a new/old Gradius game then grab it. It's on PS4 as well, that one. 

As @witchypoos mentioned a couple pages back, Devil Engine is also looking tasty. Demo available on Steam now, and that one definitely has that crunchy stuff you're after. 

What's your platform of choice? PC is obviously the greatest for shooters, so if you're an OSX bloke, may be worth thinking about sticking Boot Camp on it. 

I've had a go and I can certainly see the appeal, it has a certain batshit charm, it's all underwater and then at the start of stage 2 you fly out of the ocean and you're now shooting crustaceans in the sky!

It's pretty dull, slow and clunky though. It might pick up but I'm not playing that for 3-4 hours. If you can settle into the slow grindy pace, it might be for you. I got bored before I died, I think that says everything.

On 20/10/2018 at 10:03, NEG said:

What are your thoughts on Ikaruga dear boy?

Sorry, just saw this.

I don't care for it, personally. My brain just doesn't get along with the polarity switching mechanic.
I bought it on the gamecube, didn't enjoy it, bought it again on the 360, still didn't get on with it.
I've seen it going cheap on steam a few times and thought "all those people can't be wrong" but I just can't bring myself to buy it again. I know I'm not going to like it.

Exceed 3rd is one of my favourite shmups on pc and Exceed 2nd is like that but with the Ikaruga mechanics, someone convinced me to buy that when it was on sale, saying not to worry about the colour switching thing, and it ended just as I thought it would. Couldn't bloody stand it.

It's become a bit of a poster boy for shmups in the mainstream gaming media and I think it's unrepresentative of the genre.

It pains me to think that some people might play Ikaruga thinking it's the best the genre has to offer and think "Nah, these games aren't for me"

It plays too rigidly and it feels much more like a puzzle game than a fun shooter. Shmups are so vibrant and over the top and exciting, that game is so dull and dark and self consciously stylish. I just bounce off it.

If you like Ikaruga though, definitely try Exceed 2nd, there was a shmup released recently for pc and switch called Iro hero which didn't get great reviews. There's an upcoming game called Iridescence that might scratch the same itch.

Oh, and there's a boss in the boss rush bit on stage 4 of ZeroRanger that you'll really get a kick out of! :D

• Upvote 2

Gradius V > Ikaruga

Although, I've owned Ikaruga on DC, GC, 360 and PC, and if it drops in price on PS4 I'll probably buy that too even though I promised myself that the Steam version would be the last since I got a rotating tate Dell monitor

Gradius V is incredible. But I flipping hate that unskippable cutscene halfway through the first stage. 

Ikaruga is also a masterpiece. It's not representative of a normal shooter and I'm terrible at it but what it does is amazing. 

• Upvote 3

I bought Ikaruga in the recent sale for Switch. It does what it sets out to perfectly, but I think I'm too old for it or something. Total cognitive paralysis.

I sort of get the feeling it might be an 'improving' game - it tickles parts of your brain that nothing else touches. It's not a particularly pleasant feeling, but somehow compelling.

• Upvote 1

I don't mind Ikaruga but it's one of those shooters that seems designed for people who like to optimise their playthrough rather than people who just want to be creative and have fun with the gameplay systems, and that kind of takes the enjoyment out of it a little.

1 hour ago, Qazimod said:

I don't mind Ikaruga but it's one of those shooters that seems designed for people who like to optimise their playthrough rather than people who just want to be creative and have fun with the gameplay systems, and that kind of takes the enjoyment out of it a little.

That's definitely me, and why I've also been loving Psyvariar Delta so much. I love the problem solving element of them in the first instance, followed by the infuriating but ultimately ecstatic grind to execute correctly. Psyvariar is better in that respect though because it's more exciting and risky and flashy and LEVEL UPPPPP LEVEL UPPPPP LEVEL UPPPPP LEVEL UPPPPP LEVEL UPPPPP.

They're so so tense, though. I can't play either if I'm tired or not in the mood because I usually end up feeling absolutely shit afterwards unless it's a very rare occasion when I improve my score. I do really love the likes of Mushihimesama and DaiOuJou and Crimzon Clover but they're not intense in the same way. They're almost peaceful and meditative, proper flow kind of good shit like little else, herding these cascading pink dots and cancelling them in a shower of gold, a feeling of weightlessness and control. Psyvariar is like doing that knife game between your fingers only if you hit an acupuncture point you don't feel any pain or do any damage for a second and you have to do it a thousand times as fast as you possibly can but the real idea is not just to miss your fingers but to hit these pressure points every time.

It's a unique feeling. 

17 hours ago, witchypoos said:

This has a demo on itch.io if you're interested, I didn't want to post it last night as they were having teething troubles - https://polaritybear.itch.io/iridescence

7 hours ago, Stanshall said:

Ghost Blade HD - good music

:lol: That game proves to me that a fun scoring system can be half the battle won when it comes to keeping my jelly tickled.
That's the game where all the enemies just rain down from the top of the screen, isn't it? and the bosses will have like one long placeholder rotating circle pattern or something like that?
Almost comically half arsed.

but then you realise that if you point blank the bigger enemies, a load of gems spill out! Now you've got a nice little loop going, doing quick sweeps of the screen, tidying up all the popcorn so you can aggressively dive in and take out the big lad.

I spent most of my time with that game fighting some French stranger for the top spot on the leaderboard of the caravan stage. We'd swap places a couple of times a day sometimes. So much fun!

What about that character select screen, eh? I don't laugh out loud often when I'm on my own, it's mostly just gentle whimpering, but that caught me off guard.

Doujin circle Akiragoya's Metal Mosquit/Steel Vampire steam page is up.

Looks promising. Fucking size of the pigging spaceship on it though!

header.jpg

Watch the steam video rather than the one below as this one isn't translated, I'm just including it as it's embeddable, throw a few nice scatter cushions on my insipid twittering.

Website's no help to anyone, unless you want to look at a picture of a spaceship and some moon writing - http://akiragoya.sakura.ne.jp/game/metal_mosquit_01/

• Upvote 4

22 hours ago, SozzlyJoe said:

I bought Ikaruga in the recent sale for Switch. It does what it sets out to perfectly, but I think I'm too old for it or something. Total cognitive paralysis.

Try fish oil. It might be useless for the heart but it did wonders for my aging reflexes. Can't be any old fish oil, mind. You have to have a daily minimum of DHA/EPA. I get either solgar 950 or holland and barrett 1360mg as they both have loads of EPA & DHA.

If it's gonna work, you should see a diff in about a month of daily use.

4 minutes ago, Jazz Glands said:

Can’t see Psyvaria Delta on either the UK or US PSN stores? Is it physical only? I also have a Switch - is it available digitally on that? 

It's only available on the Japanese Switch eShop at the moment. 

• Upvote 1

Strikers 1945 Plus just came out on the ACA Neo Geo range. Seems great so far - a wide-screen re-imagining of Strikers II with more visible bullets (and some much needed slow down), and some cool remixed tunes and bosses. Recommended. Now to wait for the EU release of Strikers 1999!

people have been talking about that on resetera and the shmups forum - https://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=63299

That "much needed" slowdown isn't intentional.

edit: Sorry, I've just read that back and it reads a bit snotty. Those weren't mocking air quotes I was doing. I've not played the game myself, I'd probably assume it was intentional cave-time too.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, witchypoos said:

people have been talking about that on resetera and the shmups forum - https://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=63299

That "much needed" slowdown isn't intentional.

edit: Sorry, I've just read that back and it reads a bit snotty. Those weren't mocking air quotes I was doing. I've not played the game myself, I'd probably assume it was intentional cave-time too.

Ok, that's interesting. It's my first time with the game, so I naively assumed the slowdown was straight from the MVS game - obviously not!

I won't lie and say the slowdown hasn't saved my arse on quite a few occasions with bosses, but I'd much rather an arcade perfect port. Hope it gets fixed.

Thanks for pointing this out too!