Stigweard

Official Mixed Martial Arts Thread

I wouldn't be remotely surprised if NSAC are just a reliable middle man while Dana decides how much drama he wants to eke out.

Fair play to Khabib. 'Honour' in the sense that he talks about it is a old-fashioned, and something I personally find to be destructive and stupid, but he's sticking to his guns. Even at a cost of millions.

Though I'm sure his friends in low/high places will see him right.

It would be a real shame if he left before cementing his place as LW GOAT, but it doesn't look like he'll be kowtowing to anyone anytime soon.

That reads as total madness as usual from Khabib. He threw the first fucking shot when he jumped the cage and attacked the other guys corner after winning. People still rip on Bisping for spitting at the other teams corner. Khabib fucking flying kicked it. 

Khabib will probably get away with less than he deserves like Conor with the dolly tossing. His Russian team is fucked though. Daley style life time bans for most of them. They were all out of control. He is lucky DC and Rockhold were there actually diffusing the situation. His crew was causing chaos.

Does Khabib care? I'm more into boxing than MMA but the era of Conor McGregor strikes me as an interesting time in the history of MMA. Is he the catalyst for fighters becoming bigger than promotions? Are the guys coming up now reaching the point where they don't really need the UFC? Boxers have been on independent promotions for decades and as we are now reaching the point where everybody has their own streaming service they don't even really need to be beholden to television networks. KSI and Logan Paul got 800,000 PPV buys for a white collar boxing match on YouTube.

Someone's gonna try and put a big MMA card up at some point, right? Stuff like McGregor being immensely popular and Khabib falling out with the management only make that day more likely in my eyes. It might not be those two guys, it might not be in this generation of fighters, but I'd wager the MMA scene looks very different in a decade.  Sadly it will probably be bad for the fans as you'll get fighters ducking each other like they do in boxing, but I think it's inevitable. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Orion said:

That reads as total madness as usual from Khabib. He threw the first fucking shot when he jumped the cage and attacked the other guys corner after winning. People still rip on Bisping for spitting at the other teams corner. Khabib fucking flying kicked it. 

Khabib will probably get away with less than he deserves like Conor with the dolly tossing. His Russian team is fucked though. Daley style life time bans for most of them. They were all out of control. He is lucky DC and Rockhold were there actually diffusing the situation. His crew was causing chaos.

Some false equivalences here.

Conor was in the streets. He put multiple innocent fighters at risk, and his motivation was to make money. Fighters since have talked about the damage done to their confidence, and their earning ability.

Khabib attacked one man who had been talking shit about his culture in the media for months. His motivation was to stop that happening again. Not sure if it matters, but his kick also didn't connect with Danis. Like Conor's didn't at the weigh-in.

Bispings's act was classless and also motivated by trash talk, but only resulted in a bonus being withheld.

There's an argument that Conor wasn't unprovoked, in that Lobov had had a confrontation with Khabib's crew beforehand. But does anyone genuinely think that's why Conor did what he did?

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Naysonymous said:

Does Khabib care? I'm more into boxing than MMA but the era of Conor McGregor strikes me as an interesting time in the history of MMA. Is he the catalyst for fighters becoming bigger than promotions? Are the guys coming up now reaching the point where they don't really need the UFC? Boxers have been on independent promotions for decades and as we are now reaching the point where everybody has their own streaming service they don't even really need to be beholden to television networks. KSI and Logan Paul got 800,000 PPV buys for a white collar boxing match on YouTube.

Someone's gonna try and put a big MMA card up at some point, right? Stuff like McGregor being immensely popular and Khabib falling out with the management only make that day more likely in my eyes. It might not be those two guys, it might not be in this generation of fighters, but I'd wager the MMA scene looks very different in a decade.  Sadly it will probably be bad for the fans as you'll get fighters ducking each other like they do in boxing, but I think it's inevitable. 

I was always surprised that Khabib Vs Conor wasn't the first big Moscow show for the UFC. I even figured Conor's photo ops with Putin were to help sell it.

Maybe Khabib will look to run his own show there if he leaves the UFC. He's surely on the verge of superstardom there now.

16 hours ago, Gotters said:

haha - its sometimes a good move when you've been a dick to double down on it and fire right back at your accusers, upping the ante

I think this is a bit unfair. Khabib was endlessly provoked in the build up and he was provoked again after the fight ended. Conor has assaulted people out of the ring and  he's jumped into the ring and been a dick to the ref in a bout that had nothing to do with him and somehow everyone is shaking their head at how awful khabib is. I think the double standards are shocking.

• Upvote 1

They've both acted like total fuckwits - Conor incited it all claiming to be defending the honour of his mate Artem and as part of promoting ticket/PPV sales. Then rather than take the win, bank his pay cheque, then say how distasteful it was in any post fight press obligations (and taking the higher moral ground) Khabib and his team acted like simpletons.

Regarding Jones v Gus I see it as a fairly routine win for Jones - with the performance of his life Gus couldn't beat somebody who didn't take him seriously and was partying before the fight. I don't see Gus as having made massive strides forward since then, and suspect the rematch won't be anywhere near as close. 

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Tourist said:

I think this is a bit unfair. Khabib was endlessly provoked in the build up and he was provoked again after the fight ended. Conor has assaulted people out of the ring and  he's jumped into the ring and been a dick to the ref in a bout that had nothing to do with him and somehow everyone is shaking their head at how awful khabib is. I think the double standards are shocking.

Both are idiots as Gotters said. 

For Team Khabib here is the great man celebrating his win with his good friend evil, fucking scumbag Ramzan Kadyrov. Who likes torturing people and putting any gay people in prison camps. 

http://www.tmz.com/2018/10/12/khabib-nurmagomedov-ramzan-kadyrov-chechnya-russia-mma/

Heartwarming stuff for his fans there......

If you'd told me a few years back that Chael Sonnen would be fighting Fedor at HW in Bellator I'd have thought you were nuts. 

Anyway, we are back to tape delay - it looks like tonight's will be shown tomorrow night, and tomorrow's... God knows.

I couldnt see it at all. Did a search on Sky and nothing appeared. Bellator has fighters and start putting on fights i really want to see and its worse coverage than ever in the UK. Wankers.

Chael vs Fedor

I don't think Chael will ever be in a fight that looks like an actual fight ever again. 

No idea how we keep falling for it.

Though I could be being a bit harsh, he ate a couple of monster shots which could explain his strange Fight IQ later on. I don't know. Where there's Chael, there's suspicion.

2 hours ago, schmojo said:

Chael vs Fedor

Hide contents

I don't think Chael will ever be in a fight that looks like an actual fight ever again. 

No idea how we keep falling for it.

Though I could be being a bit harsh, he ate a couple of monster shots which could explain his strange Fight IQ later on. I don't know. Where there's Chael, there's suspicion.

Spoiler

He said post fight that Fedor's first punch, which knocked him down had hurt him but he had recovered from it. Then again he was also saying he was just trying to tire Fedor out at the end by turtling up and getting punched alot. Chael is gonna Chael. 

Fun little fight tbh. Chael did get some good positions but Fedor looked the far stronger fighter. I'd favour Bader in the final but Fedor winning would be fantastic to see.

Yeah textbook definition of an illegal knee to soften Nelson though, wasn't even close. 

Bader isn't everyone's cup of tea but he is a brilliant MMA fighter. People laughed when the first rumblings of a feud with DC started towards the end of his UFC stint, but I actually think he's one of the few who could give him a run for his money (JBJ his personal bogeyman aside). He has stamina for days.

Bader is absolutely a top LHW. In fact, I'd put both him and Davis in the top 5. 

With DC likely shedding the belt, and Johnson not talking about coming back yet, Bellator's LHW division is as legit as UFCs. Except for the fact that McGeary was ever champ :lol:

Jon Jones vs. Alexander Gustafsson
Cris Cyborg vs. Amanda Nunes
Carlos Condit vs. Michael Chiesa
Megan Anderson vs. Cat Zingano
Ilir Latifi vs. Corey Anderson
B.J. Penn vs. Ryan Hall

Decent card for the end of 2018

I'm glad that BJ is fighting Ryan Hall, as in someone who won't completely smash him up hopefully.

That is a nice card though - I think I'm most looking forward to Nunes and Cyborg outside of my interest in JJ's return. It would arguably be better for the sport/promotion if Nunes could pull it off but I don't think so.

I'm a Condit fan but he must be done if he loses to Chiesa. That would be fives loses in a row. I know those loses were to good fighters but a few years back you would expect him to beat someone like Chiesa handly. Now I'm not so sure. Remember hearing he has some business's doing well and he is more interested in that nowadays.

I think Nunes is going to go straight at Cyborg and try and walk through her. Which sounds mental but she might be the only women in MMA to pull it off. She could also get completely wrecked trying it though. I think that fight is not going to last long.

Jones/Gus 2. I 'm a little luke warm on atm. Probably because Gus is always injured and Jones always fucking up. I'm sure I'll warm to it more as the card grows near.

Nunes/Cyborg is as much of an 'Unstoppable force meets immovable object' fight as is likely to happen in the sport any time soon.

Really looking forward to it. Feels like Bader/Jones, where beforehand they looked like the same style of fighter with the same high-level skills. Though obviously the quality got separated in that fight, as it might here.

Cyborg v Nunes could be an absolute belter of a fight, a total war or over quickly or hopefully not, no engaging due to both ladies power.

Zingano could be next for a title shot if she wins too which would be nice.

I cant see Condit beating Chiesa, sadly, he's had a tough time in the twilight of his career but he'll live in my heart forever.