Sign in to follow this  
klargon

Rival Schools

Ok, so I saw a bit of love for Rival Schools in the Download thread, but I thought they probably deserve their own thread.

It would seem that Rival Schools have reformed, playing a few UK dates in June:

11 London King’s College

13 Donington Download Festival

17 Birmingham Academy II

18 Leeds Cockpit

19 Glasgow King Tut’s

20 London Radio One Rock Show Session at Maida Vale

21 Portsmouth Wedgewood Rooms

Anyway, I've got Leeds tickets, and I'll be proper looking forward to it. Rival Schools are one of my favorite bands. Their first album is in my top 5 of all time. Their second album (well, the torrent said it was their second unreleased album) was a bit weaker, but still good.

So, yeah, hit me with some Rival Schools love!

I didn't put in my first post that there's also going to be a new album. I reckon it'll just be the 'unreleased' one that I downloaded a couple of years back, though. Would be nice if they could stick some new material on there.

Fucking A! I jsut dug out United by Fate on Sunday night. First time I've listened to them in years. Think I'll go and order some tickets for king tuts the now. :)

19 Glasgow King Tut’s

Fuck off. I've never really 'dug' them, but they're iconic in a lot of ways to the wave of music my generation is currently enjoying and as such I shall endeavour to be there.

All those venues are tiny!

I was under the impression that they had reformed just to play some shows. I didn't think there were plans to put any new material down?! I'd love to be proved wrong though.

"The band are planning to release a new album later this year."

http://www.nme.com/news/rival-schools/36343

Although, from this Rock Sound interview, it reads like it'll be next year. It also makes it sound like it might be new new material. Has anyone got a decent version of that unreleased album? Mine's pretty low quality.

http://www.rocksound.tv/articles/1280/Inte...al-Schools.html

Awesome.

Fuck me Walter get the Quicksand reformation going and I'll cry tears of post-hardcore joy.

Tom Capone turned to heroin, so I doubt it.

I was a huge Quicksand fan at the time; Rival Schools less so, but I was still really excited to see them when they toured after the album...and they sucked. Really they were awful live. I might have just caught them on a bad night, but they were a big let down; totally crap musicianship.

Turing to H doesnt automatically mean you cant do anything ever again

Slip is fantastic :)

I didn't say that he couldn't, but I doubt Walter would want a heroin-addicted guitarist when on tour, Instruction certainly didn't and kicked him out (right before they called it a day).

I didn't say that he couldn't, but I doubt Walter would want a heroin-addicted guitarist when on tour,

I never really thought of it that way. Soz buddy.

Well, I saw 'em in Berlin and Leeds last year (both shows were excellent). The stuff that they were saying was 'new' was the same stuff from the unreleased second album (with some slight changes). Couldn't tell you when to expect the album though.

I loved United by Fate, but they were a bit 'souless' and 'clinical' live.

I'd like to hear some new stuff though.

I thought that too; I saw them near when United by Fate dropped and as much as I loved the album at the time, they did nothing for me at all.

*bump*

Seems there's an interview on Punktastic with Walter where he talks about his Solo album and the second Rival Schools album.

Paul: A couple of Rival Schools questions if that's OK. The second official 
Rival Schools album seems to have been on the horizon for many, many 
years with rumours of albums being finished, re-recorded, scrapped and 
who knows what else. To set the record straight, what happened from 
starting work on it in 2002-ish to actually completing it?

Walter: After touring on United By Fate I think we were pretty burned out. I regret that we didn’t push through that in a way but we’ve done other things that were equally important to us in that time, all the while leaving it open to get back at it. There’s been a few periods of activity over the years but we’ve really focused this past year and got an album finished that I’m very happy with. I think it all could have been a lot easier but knowing that now makes me feel excited to play these new songs and eager to follow up this record a lot sooner.

No mention of a release date but that would suggest we're actually getting a new album soon...?

If we make the checkpoint/ All our worries will be gone for... some time

I'd be stunned if a new album is even half as good as United By Fate.

Me too. You'd think it'd be pretty polished though with them having, what, eight years to work on it. :quote: