Sign in to follow this  
klargon

Rival Schools

Didn't the second album leak eons ago? It's bad quality but I have it, and it definitely sounds like Rival Schools. It's not as good as UBF but still decent.

Didn't the second album leak eons ago? It's bad quality but I have it, and it definitely sounds like Rival Schools. It's not as good as UBF but still decent.

Yeah, it did. Apparently they were demos but when I saw them in Berlin with klargon a few years back they were parading them as new songs.

Paul: 

Were you pissed off that a bunch of songs leaked in about 2003? Were 
they ever meant to see the light of day?

Walter: I’m not pissed. Over the years I’ve learned to accept that nothing is precious in the world of music. Once it’s done, it’s out there. Was I happy about it? No, and that’s mainly because the songs that leaked were not complete in my mind, they were demos but in the end it was something for the fans and that’s good.

He (Zane) played it again tonight. I heard it on the way to the gym. Of course, it's not entirely "New". It's a development of one of the tracks on the unreleased album from several years ago. While there are differences, I can't help but feel they've actually ruined it a bit. Maybe it'll grow on me. For those who care, on my shady unreleased download, it's called "See What You Got" (track 5). On their recent tours (in the past couple of years), they've been performing it under the name "Sophia Loren".

Dates announced for a double-headline tour next year with ...And You Will Know Us By The Trail Of Dead:

Electric Ballroom Camden London FRI 15/04/2011

Academy 2 Manchester SAT 16/04/2011

O2 Academy2 Birmingham Birmingham MON 18/04/2011

http://www.gigsandtours.com/gat/event.asp?e%7Cartist=TRAIL+OF+DEAD+%2F+RIVAL+SCHOOLS&e|promoter=372&n|artist=null&resultsperpage=50&filler1=gigsandt&filler2=search&orderby=date%2Ctime

Tickets on sale next Monday.

So, the "new" album is due pretty soon (it was 8 March last time I noticed). Does anyone know if we're still on track for that?! You can listen to the first track ("Wring it Out") from the album here.

I've listened to this a fair few times now. Although the sound is undeniably Rival Schools, it does seems a little too 'nice', lacking the emotional charge that made United by Fate a compelling listen. A few tracks lack the necessary progression to elevate them from pop tunes into something that you can really connect with - the tracks lack a surprise or spontaneity. Unfortunately, this leaves it in the category of 'albums that, although good, have the ability to almost pass by in the background'. Having said that, it doesn't immediately strike me as an album that will lack longevity. It's well produced and cohesive, and will hopefully improve with time. I'm not disappointed, cos any additional Rival Schools material was a bonus after this length of time. Gets an initial 3/5 from me. I'm hoping that a couple of the other tracks from the unreleased album will resurface as b-sides or something.

hmmm. i have listened to this quite a lot recently, as i'm going to see Trail Of Dead next month and it is pretty mediocre compared to the first proper album - in fact, it sounds like it was made a week after and has been on the shelf for the past ten years. there isn't anything that hasn't been done a million times before. disappointing, really.

be nice to see them live, but all my screaming and shouting will be saved for Trail Of Dead.

The unreleased second album finally got a release last week after what must be about 10 years. It's called "Found", and is exactly the same as the one leaked about 10 years ago, but obviously a lot better quality. Contains a couple of my favourite Rival Schools tracks, so I'm glad it finally got a proper release.