Jump to content
rllmuk
Cecil Kay

Car boots, charity shops and amazing retro finds from your loft

Recommended Posts

12 hours ago, Spartan said:

It's gonna sit nicely next to my Atari Jag, Nintendo Virtual Boy and Amiga 4000

 

Seems a bit harsh on the Amiga 4000.

 

My wife gave me this history of computing mug for Christmas, which is generally pretty ace, but bewilderingly has the fairly-irrelevant Amiga 4000 on it instead of the genuinely significant Amiga 1000. It bothers me more than it should.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Alexlotl said:

 

Seems a bit harsh on the Amiga 4000.

 

My wife gave me this history of computing mug for Christmas, which is generally pretty ace, but bewilderingly has the fairly-irrelevant Amiga 4000 on it instead of the genuinely significant Amiga 1000. It bothers me more than it should.

 

What I like about it the most is that the model I have has an accelerated CPU board, which you would think would make it the top choice to play games on.

 

In actual fact it makes most games unplayable and introduces a host of problems. I have to stick to my 1200 or CD32 for  actually playing Amiga games.

 

 

I have a really weird fetish for failed or obscure gaming hardware

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Spartan said:

Random Facebook marketplace find today. 

 

A filthy dirty Vectrex for £150, knocked them down from £200. Been stuck in an attic for 25 years according to the seller. Powers on and plays great. Now to find some carts and overlays

 

Finally have one, woo hoo!

There is a load of different multi carts available, the one that I have uses an SD card so you can put homebrew titles on &  demo’s ect as well as the entire Vectrex games library. If you have a search on the Atari Age forums you will find people selling them and overlays.

 

Also you need to have a look at Vector Patrol which is a great Moon Patrol clone.

 

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The one thing I can't get over is just how damn smooth the vector graphics are. It has the usual hum which I'm going to see about fixing (bad grounding from what I've read briefly about it?)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Spartan said:

The one thing I can't get over is just how damn smooth the vector graphics are. It has the usual hum which I'm going to see about fixing (bad grounding from what I've read briefly about it?)

 

that's the beauty of a vector-display over a raster-display

 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vector_monitor

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raster_scan

 

see also

 

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Spartan said:

The one thing I can't get over is just how damn smooth the vector graphics are. It has the usual hum which I'm going to see about fixing (bad grounding from what I've read briefly about it?)

The buzz is part of the charm.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 05/06/2019 at 10:45, Spartan said:

What I like about it the most is that the model I have has an accelerated CPU board, which you would think would make it the top choice to play games on.

 

In actual fact it makes most games unplayable and introduces a host of problems. I have to stick to my 1200 or CD32 for  actually playing Amiga games.

 

I hear you. I love the Amiga, but it's horribly incompatible with itself. Every Kickstart, CPU & memory upgrade seemed to be accompanied by magazine listings outlining which games had broken & how to get certain titles to work. I'm still annoyed that Zeewolf (1) stopped working when I installed an Apollo 1240 accelerator. No amount of early startup or HD installation config could convince it to work on my machine.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My Amiga 500 had the trapdoor pretty much permanently removed so we could easily flick the 512k expansion board off just to play Bubble Bobble. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Meager day at my locals, weather put a lot of people off. Usual packs of dealers being particularly desperate today, getting in the back of cars (I wont do that, bloody embarrassing). So I thought I'd raid the local Cash (Crime) Converters. Lo and behold, a Thrustmaster T300 forcefeedback steering wheel for PS4/PS3/PC with its pedals for £30. Works a treat on Dirt Rally

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's alright.  I'm okay with that post.  When I see this thread bumped by you (or U-1 for that matter), I prepare myself for ultimate rage.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 08/06/2019 at 18:57, Nathan Wind said:

That's alright.  I'm okay with that post.  When I see this thread bumped by you (or U-1 for that matter), I prepare myself for ultimate rage.

 

I'm sorry for the distress this will cause (Some of the finds since January this year).

 

_20190608_192229.thumb.JPG.4ae20c3892897c6b18f58f773c13c2ec.JPG

 

I cant keep everything though, most of my big Amiga find has been sold on (The predictions I had for all its value were a little...low). That Vectrex is staying with me, the 4000 too and the 1230 expansion is now installed in the 1200 I found last year.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not many gaming pickups for me on Suunday.

 

I did get my first boot Amiibo though for a quid, not sure who it is but I am impressed with the build quality.

 

Also a Gen 1 Snarl,  I think this is a reissue as the condition seems too good, and I can't find any dates or trademarks on it

 

Did get a complete 2010 Scaletrix  Rally set for a pound too, which I am quite happy with.

image.jpeg

  • Upvote 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Quote

Also a Gen 1 Snarl,  I think this is a reissue as the condition seems too good, and I can't find any dates or trademarks on it

Have another check. :) The most recent G1 Snarl reissue in original grey was back in 1992(!), so it’s either a well-looked-after original, or a latter-day unofficial facsimile.

 

https://tfwiki.net/wiki/Snarl_(G1)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, X_2_0 said:

Not many gaming pickups for me on Suunday.

 

I did get my first boot Amiibo though for a quid, not sure who it is but I am impressed with the build quality.

 

Also a Gen 1 Snarl,  I think this is a reissue as the condition seems too good, and I can't find any dates or trademarks on it

 

Did get a complete 2010 Scaletrix  Rally set for a pound too, which I am quite happy with.

image.jpeg

 

I've managed to pick up 4 out of 5 Dinobots over the years at carboots, Swoop still eludes me, but as it was never released officially in the UK, I may have to bite the bullet and get one from eBay, and I still need Grimlocks left arm as mine was snapped off, but 20p was a deal not to be missed :p

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Protocol Penguin said:

 

Have another check. :) The most recent G1 Snarl reissue in original grey was back in 1992(!), so it’s either a well-looked-after original, or a latter-day unofficial facsimile.

 

https://tfwiki.net/wiki/Snarl_(G1)

Thanks that's a handy link!  It  could be a bootleg, it does have a healthy amount of diecast though, so I'm happy either way.

 

22 hours ago, MikeBeaver said:

 

I've managed to pick up 4 out of 5 Dinobots over the years at carboots, Swoop still eludes me, but as it was never released officially in the UK, I may have to bite the bullet and get one from eBay, and I still need Grimlocks left arm as mine was snapped off, but 20p was a deal not to be missed :p

 

4 out 5 Dinobots is impressive!  I have a small Gen 1 car boot collection from the last few years but the only one other Dinobot sludge. 

 

If if anyone knows of sites that sell replacement tyres for gen1s that would be useful as I could do with a few of those! 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pretty confident it's a KO, but speaking as someone who'll buy KOs that's not necessarily a negative - still a great figure :)

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Picked these two big box pc games from a couple of local charity shops the other day.

Football Manager 2000, sealed £1
Theme Park, CD-Rom edition unfortunately, 50p. 



 

IMG_20190614_003451.jpg

IMG_20190614_003527.jpg

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've just been offered these:

 

654305245_62534602_1622978327834351_6831670535450001408_n1.thumb.jpg.30aad40cf19a43b1ff10bbadc22eca0e.jpg

 

for free. I'm not saying no...

 

  • Upvote 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Alien Trilogy is a great game, I’ve got it for the Saturn and despite some people saying otherwise, I still think it’s better than Aliens v Predator!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, wev said:

Is it 400 copies of Medievil this time?

No, mostly different titles, so should spread the reliance on getting shot of hundreds of copies of the same title to many more, there are some that are coming out and going straight into my own collection, Castlevania Chronicles and Raiden for starters :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ninja Doctor said:

Not strictly gaming but I found a 2015 kindle paperwhite in my local for £3 today. Works perfectly. 

 

Can it run doom/crysis?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It probably has both Minecraft and Skyrim coz everyfuckingthing else does

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 14/06/2019 at 17:11, MikeBeaver said:

I'm picking up 400 PS1 games tomorrow, £1,250, so a little over £3 each, there are definitely some that are not worth that and lots that are, let's hope it doesn't turn to shit like the crash Bandicoot lot did :p
 

I remember you buying the crash bandicoots, what happened with them?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.