Cecil Kay

Car boots, charity shops and amazing retro finds from your loft

On 05/03/2018 at 20:38, parrapatheslapper said:

Loads of games with it. Tested and working. Pain to post though. I'm based South Manchester if any use.

Got a ballpark figure in mind? I'm over that way on a semi regular basis or could get a mate to grab it for me...

Don't normally bother with magazines but couldn't resist these for a tenner!

IMG_1341.thumb.JPG.5c131d5fd51fa36766d427ad5afa5b79.JPG

Nostalgia kick incoming!

• Upvote 8
  • Empathy 1

1 hour ago, Mr Do 71 said:

Crash :wub:

I definitely forgot how many adverts they used to cram into each issue.. they are rammed.

Crash was almost a pamphlet at this point,  having sacrificed its pages to the tape distribution gods, but it introduced me to so many great games via its covertape. The 1991 relaunch was just amazing.

Speaking of which, someone has a £256.87 (+£7 delivery) hole in their wallet at the moment.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Amtix-Issues-0-18-in-Binders-All-Near-Mint-Newsfield-Crash-Zzap64/132543393101

9 hours ago, knightbeat said:

Crash was almost a pamphlet at this point,  having sacrificed its pages to the tape distribution gods, but it introduced me to so many great games via its covertape. The 1991 relaunch was just amazing.

Wasn't the relaunch 1990? I remember being so excited to see Wanted: Monty Mole and Mooncresta on the cover tapes. There were some amazing titles on the cover tapes during the final few years. Before the days of eBay, this was really the only way to get hold of out of print Spectrum games. Although Spectrum games were starting to appear at car boot sales by this time, too.

4 hours ago, roberthazelby said:

Wasn't the relaunch 1990? I remember being so excited to see Wanted: Monty Mole and Mooncresta on the cover tapes. There were some amazing titles on the cover tapes during the final few years. Before the days of eBay, this was really the only way to get hold of out of print Spectrum games. Although Spectrum games were starting to appear at car boot sales by this time, too.

Relaunch was 1989. The first issue with regular covertapes had less than a third of the page count of the previous issue, and loads of the regular features had been dumped without announcement.

1 hour ago, linkster said:

I found Resident Evil Nemesis and Tokyo Highway Challenge 2 on Dreamcast in the loft, seems to be going for silly money 

Challenge 2 definitely, think Nemesis was around the £20-£30 last time I had one, THC2 was at least £50, good effort :)

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, knightbeat said:

I was thinking of the redesign & return to A4 in August 1991 - probably should have clarified that.

http://www.crashonline.org.uk/91/index.htm

That relaunch was a sad state of affairs. The superbly balanced tone they'd cultivated up to that point was thrown out in favour of childish, weak editorial, silly characters, cartoony graphics. Your Sinclair managed to do silliness just right, Crash simply didn't get it. I was never sure if they moved that way because, at that point, the Spectrum was for kids, their older siblings having moved on to newer machines. Something similar happened to Commodore Format.

18 minutes ago, MikeBeaver said:

Challenge 2 definitely, think Nemesis was around the £20-£30 last time I had one, THC2 was at least £50, good effort :)

game_1.jpg

game_2.jpg

game_5.jpg

• Upvote 6

44 minutes ago, Ninja Doctor said:

Give you a tenner to take it all of your hands? I'll even collect...

Well, I never! Back go the leaky attic they go!

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Vimster said:

The superbly balanced tone they'd cultivated up to that point was thrown out in favour of childish, weak editorial, silly characters, cartoony graphics.

These are some of my favourite things :P

When did Commodore Format go downhill for you? Around the time of the logo redesign or earlier?

I was big into Dreamcast in the year or so after Sega stopped production, and I remember Tokyo Highway Challenge 2 being highly priced. Then, someone found a load of them in a warehouse somewhere (not knowing they were there probably caused it's scarcity), along with a bunch of copies of Evil Twin, and Aerowings 2 if I remember right. My local indy got boxes of them and sold me THC2 and Evil Twin for 15 quid each - unfortunately, they were both a bit shit.

24 minutes ago, Keiths_Dad said:

I was big into Dreamcast in the year or so after Sega stopped production, and I remember Tokyo Highway Challenge 2 being highly priced. Then, someone found a load of them in a warehouse somewhere (not knowing they were there probably caused it's scarcity), along with a bunch of copies of Evil Twin, and Aerowings 2 if I remember right. My local indy got boxes of them and sold me THC2 and Evil Twin for 15 quid each - unfortunately, they were both a bit shit.

Weird that doesn't seem to have affected its price

We had two copies of Rez, I bought one and then the missus wanted her own copy cos we'd not moved in together yet, sold one a few years back

17 hours ago, knightbeat said:

These are some of my favourite things :P

When did Commodore Format go downhill for you? Around the time of the logo redesign or earlier?

That would have been right near the end, 1992 or so, by which time it was alim at best.

I had a rummage in my parents house - specifically looking for my copy of Symphony of the Night. I couldn’t find it. I did find two artbooks and the music CD from the LE. I assume I must have sold my copy of the game but kept the tat :(

5 hours ago, gossi the dog said:

I had a rummage in my parents house - specifically looking for my copy of Symphony of the Night. I couldn’t find it. I did find two artbooks and the music CD from the LE. I assume I must have sold my copy of the game but kept the tat :(

Could be in the market for the art book if you decide  to sell mate, just checked mine and it's got the disc, manual and box, but not the art book :(

Got a bit of an itch to look for some retro stuff this weekend, went to about 6 charity shops and came out with absolutely nothing. Most of them had no games at all, and for the ones that did there were a few 360 games (mostly copies of FIFA and the ilk), some shovelware PS2 games and a few unremarkable DVD-box PC games.

What is the general consensus on charity shops these days, worth continuing to drop in? Do they actually sell anything gaming-related that is not in a DVD case any more? (eg SMS stuff, etc.)

Probably going to start hitting a few car boots in the coming weeks and see if they yield anything better.

25 minutes ago, Sureshot said:

Got a bit of an itch to look for some retro stuff this weekend, went to about 6 charity shops and came out with absolutely nothing. Most of them had no games at all, and for the ones that did there were a few 360 games (mostly copies of FIFA and the ilk), some shovelware PS2 games and a few unremarkable DVD-box PC games.

What is the general consensus on charity shops these days, worth continuing to drop in? Do they actually sell anything gaming-related that is not in a DVD case any more? (eg SMS stuff, etc.)

Probably going to start hitting a few car boots in the coming weeks and see if they yield anything better.

I did a short stint in a charity shop a while back, and based on what I saw it's really not worth it. Essentially stuff comes on, the people who work there pounce on it, look for anything of value, buy it off the shop for a "donation". All the stuff no-one wants goes on the shelves/racks. Generally they're eBay-savvy, they have their phones out checking stuff. I'm sure there are shops where they're not as hot but the ones with a couple of pensioners putting everything they get out for general sale regardless of value are in the minority.

Yeah you will probably be able to pick up the odd PS2 or PSP game but nothing special.  I did come across a stash of decent GameCube and Wii games in a charity shop the other day but they were all eBay prices. 

I was was at a decent sized boot last week too but nearly 70% of it were dealer types and anyone that wasn't seemed to have at least one person asking them for any retro gaming stuff. I normally do better at my crap local then I did here! 

12 hours ago, Sureshot said:

I’ve donated a few games over the past couple of years. Pretty much anything CEX won’t take (not on their system), where they’ll offer less than £0.50 in trade or won’t sell and net me a fiver after eBay, paypal and postage fees. So there is stuff out there, but since CEX started doing retro probably a lot less.

• Upvote 1

Found an 80GB click wheel iPod that works for £14 today, happy with that.

Also bought my first SNES. £1!!

7FF21488-171D-4EB2-84C2-ED2D7762B6BD.jpeg

It's in shit condition, but that's a nice wee project to clean it up.

• Upvote 4

What's the best thing to clean these with? Rubbing alcohol?  Something simple like those alcohol makeup removers? Not sure what to get that won't damage it.