rubberducker

The Ultimate Burger

been looking for the perfect meat mix recipe for a while. i have never been able to accomplished one. the more shit i put in with the meat, the more it begins to taste naff.

jamie oliver's doesn't really work for me...

for the record the best burger i have ever eaten is a fatburger from california, closely followed by in and out.

but i haven't had one of those for years.

The best mince you can get from the butcher and salt and pepper. Everything else is optional. I got some mince from the butchers that had been hung for a few weeks so it was darker in colour than the bright red supermarket stuff. The burgers I made from that were divine.

The meat needs to be fatty, none of this lean shit

Truth. Lean meat is for freaks. Fat is flavour, and keeps the meat juicy.

I'd go easy on the additional ingredients, with the exception of a good dose of ground peppercorns and a chopped red onion. Get some decent bread rols for them too if you have a baker nearby.

• Upvote 2

Yeah, I got my butcher to mince some rump for me for that recipe. Sadly he's now gone to make way for the new Tesco, so I'm considering getting a mincer to do my own.

I take the point about fat, but I'd still like to cook a really, really rare burger using fillet at some point. I had one like that in France and it was awesome.

When Heston Blumenthal made his perfect burger on BBC2 he minced some beef and very carefully made sure the 'strands' were all lying the same way as he packed it into a big long sausage shape the diameter of a burger, then he cut that into thick burgers so when you ate it it just melted apart. It looked lovely.

Is anyone else apart from me a fan of a really thin burger patty?

I'm really not keen on those big thick burgers you get in a lot of the high end burger joints.

• Upvote 1

I've been putting a bit of ketchup and mustard with the mince when I make them recently. I saw it on Ramsey's Kitchen Nightmares and it works fairly well. I also put cumin pretty much every time, as well as occasionaly putting in corriander and chopped chilli, depending on what mood I'm in.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Is anyone else apart from me a fan of a really thin burger patty?

I'm really not keen on those big thick burgers you get in a lot of the high end burger joints.

This.

Places like TGI Fridays etc do massive thick burgers which are difficult to eat and go all over the place. I love thin to medium sized burgers, with cheese, freid onions n ketchup and lovely nice bread.

I made some tesco's frozen burgers but they came out a bit hard. Before they got to that stage I wasn't sure they were done properly cos I put them in frozen.

Only had two brilliant burgers in my life. Both times got asked if I wanted it well-done, medium or rare.

I had what is probably the best cheeseburger that I have ever had in my life in a hotel restaurant in Upstate New York and I was asked that exact question.

I told the waitress to tell the chef I wanted it medium rare with the cow just kissing medium and he did it perfectly. I haven't even dinner yet and even now almost 10 years later my stomach is growling thinking of the taste of it.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I bought a forerib of Beef earlier today, and have cut it into 3 huge "chops", ready for consumption over the next couple of days. I wonder if that would be a good burger cut? I'd happily use one of the chops as an experiment, I could maybe post an update in the Ultimate thread, what do you reckon?

I bought a forerib of Beef earlier today, and have cut it into 3 huge "chops", ready for consumption over the next couple of days. I wonder if that would be a good burger cut? I'd happily use one of the chops as an experiment, I could maybe post an update in the Ultimate thread, what do you reckon?

I reckon yes, that would be amazing.

I fancy some thick rib after reading the latest installment of Time Out's experiment with their cow.

Well, I'm definitely going to do it, because I've just eaten some and it was the finest beef I've eaten in years. I can't resist showing you some pictures, so please indulge me.

I cut the joint into three huge chops, like this one:

Rib1.jpg

Just a bit of olive oil, salt and pepper, and then into a very hot pan to sear, one piece at a time:

Rib2.jpg

Then in the oven to finish:

Rib3.jpg

Rested it for a good 10 minutes, then carved it into thick-ish slices:

Rib5.jpg

I didn't muck about with accompaniments. Chips, mustard, ketchup. Bliss.

Rib6.jpg

Absolutely exceptional flavour, the meat was really juicy, and the fat just melted like butter in the mouth. I've got enough leftovers to last me a week, and I think the remaining uncooked piece is going to make an awesome burger. :angry:

• Upvote 1

I use good mince, salt and pepper, some egg for binding, some fine-chopped onion and my secret ingredient, blue cheese in the centre. Not much at all, but the melting cheese dissolves into the meant and imparts a certain succulence.

I also grill mine in my Foreman on the outside for colour then finish them in the oven. Works a charm.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The two best burgers I've ever had have both been in the US.

The best one ever was in the sci-fi diner which is in Disney MGM Studios - you sit inside a drive-in theater inside old cars and they have a great selection of burgers - they ask how you want it cooked, and they are absolute perfection, far better than theme park food should be.

The second is from a chain - Johnny Rockets. Real old style burgers, think back to being a kid and treated to Wimpy and how the burgers always seemed fantastic, something your mum could never make. It reminds me of that, but so fucking tasty.

The worst burger would have to be a McDonalds. The bun has mroe flavour than the patty. Fucking abysmal.

I think I may have overdone it on just about every level:

Burger2.jpg

OpenBurger.jpg

I don't know why, I just don't seem to be able to exhibit any moderation with things like this. Cutting it in half made it a lot easier to eat.

I don't have a mincer, so I used the old-fashioned two knife chop-attack method. The texture was perhaps a bit coarser than shop-bought mince, but that made for good eatin'! I had to cook the two patties in separate pans, and you can see the bottom one is cooked to what I think is perfect pinkness, but the top one could have done with a bit longer. Oh, and I clearly used too much cheese.

Anyway, I recommend rib for burgers, or rib-eye steak if you don't go for a full joint. It just needs trimming of the larger pieces of fat, as it's already well marbled. Going for a very long walk now...

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1