Rllmuk's Official Sales Figures Thread

How anyone can say the 360 is doing great is madness. It's still being out sold by the PS2 (a 7 year old system), it's sales are pathetic in JPN (Famitsu don't even report them anymore!), no doubt it'll be out sold by the Wii and PS3 in Europe in a matter of time, so that only leaves the US. When the PS3 get's a major price cut and in 2008 MGS 4, GT 5, FF XIII, etc come out then it'll only eat into the 360 market share there (US) to.

Well ok. As things stand the 360 is doing ok. The ps3 is doing badly. The wii is doing great.

Nice prediction there- but lets see what happens.

(this was a heavily sugar coated post so the_dude does not spasm out and cry).

Why would you even post about 360 sales when the system you root for ( a light term ) is doing even worse? How odd!

The PS3 isn't selling more in Europe is it? The Wii is the success story, that's inevitable. The PS2 is outselling the PS3 as well, what's your point? It is also a third of the price and has more games.

"When the PS3 get's a major price cut.." - conjecture is fantastic! When those games come out someone might buy the PS3.

It's all "When" and "if" with the PS3. I wonder if you'll get tired of trying to justify your purchase.

More to the point, in any other (non-dodgy/cartel-run) business you can't ultimately control what rival companies do to gain market share. Neither the PS1 or PS2 ever had much competition to deal with. Does anyone honestly think Sony's plans for the PS3 were made with the assumption that there would be no competition?

No. Sony's assumption (and mistake) was to assume that it would have no problem beating the competition.

Sonys mistake was believing its own hype, its previous successes with the PS1 and PS2 had more to do with timing than aything inherintly great about either console. If the Playstation and N64 had launched side by side the market split would have been nearer 50:50 instead of the 75:25 it ended up with similarly if the Xbox and GC had launched at the same time as the PS2 it would never have built up such an unassailable lead over them. (yes I know there was the Saturn and the DC but the 1st missed the 3D boat and the second was launched too early before most people were ready to trade up)

This time around they dont have the luxury of first bite at the cherry and it seems that with the Wii gobbling all the juicy flesh, and MS squirrelling away the stone for a rainy day all that Sony will be left with is the unwanted maggots from the gaming crop.

You think pumping out Quake in 1080p makes it a HD game?

Think about it.

Isn't the end result effectively the same though; crisper, sharper images and an ability to display finer detail?

Isn't the end result effectively the same though; crisper, sharper images and an ability to display finer detail?

Nope.

Try and think why HD games cost so much to make. I'll give you a clue, it doesn't cost a penny more to render them out at a higher resolution.

Nope.

Try and think why HD games cost so much to make. I'll give you a clue, it doesn't cost a penny more to render them out at a higher resolution.

There's more in an HD console game in the first place - something to do with "building" greater detail and sharper imagery into the game from the ground up rather than simply having the finished software displayed at different resolutions according to the spec of the machine that it's running on?

This is the best I can do on a Monday morning. I want to go back to bed.

You're talking mumble jumble.

The point I was first referring to was -

I don't get this increased costs thing. Never have.

PC games have been 'in HD' for many years. I never heard developers moaning then.

HD games cost more to make because they're not just a resolution increase, they're an increase in the actual quality of the graphics on display and everything else that has to keep up with that -

more polygons, better models, more models, better textures, better animation, better AI, better physics, surrond sound, voice acting, orchestrated soundtracks, licensed music...the list goes on.

Coming back to the overall point then, this is why if the Wii ends up with a much larger userbase than the PS3 and 360 combined, it will be less financially viable for publishers to give the go-ahead for such projects when they could make much more profit from the Wii.

At the very least we'll begin to see the end of 3rd party exclusive games for PS3 and Xbox (in fact I think we already are), and the performance of these platforms will rest even more in what 1st party games are coming out.

EDIT: I think JP summed it up better as "production values". They cost a fortune (and I even forgot to mention the mandatory online modes these days)!

HD games cost more to make because they're not just a resolution increase, they're an increase in the actual quality of the graphics on display and everything else that has to keep up with that -

more polygons, better models, more models, better textures, better animation, better AI, better physics, surrond sound, voice acting, orchestrated soundtracks, licensed music...the list goes on.

Hah! I win! I got it right.

Coming back to the overall point then, this is why if the Wii ends up with a much larger userbase than the PS3 and 360 combined, it will be less financially viable for publishers to give the go-ahead for such projects when they could make much more profit from the Wii.

At the very least we'll begin to see the end of 3rd party exclusive games for PS3 and Xbox (in fact I think we already are), and the performance of these platforms will rest even more in what 1st party games are coming out.

EDIT: I think JP summed it up better as "production values". They cost a fortune.

Shit. In the long run it looks like I lose.

Maybe. We'll see.

Slightly off topic, but MK was talking about the increase in quality of Oblivion on the PS3 over the 360 version. Browsing in Game on Saturday, I noticed the increase in price between these games. £30 new on the 360, and £50 new on the PS3. Blimey!

At the risk of creating another loop in the thread, that can't be helping PS3 sales, can it? The rare occasion when the multiformat game is slightly better on the PS3 it costs 60% more!

Slightly off topic, but MK was talking about the increase in quality of Oblivion on the PS3 over the 360 version. Browsing in Game on Saturday, I noticed the increase in price between these games. £30 new on the 360, and £50 new on the PS3. Blimey!

At the risk of creating another loop in the thread, that can't be helping PS3 sales, can it? The rare occasion when the multiformat game is slightly better on the PS3 it costs 60% more!

Whilst it shouldn't work on anyone here, I think that "normal" punters might equate the extra cost with extra quality, in the same way that you don't expect the DS version of Spider-man to cost the same as the Wii version.

Kataguri tried to employ this strategy when he suggested to us all that the PS3 was worth us working over-time for as the superiority of the console justified the greater cost.

Whilst it shouldn't work on anyone here, I think that "normal" punters might equate the extra cost with extra quality, in the same way that you don't expect the DS version of Spider-man to cost the same as the Wii version.

I don't really think that sales of Oblivion PS3 really back up that line of thinking. GAME refused to stock it, and it was months after release before it was financially viable for Bethesda to start working on porting Shivering Isles.

http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=c...99&Itemid=2

Poor PS3 sales mean smaller losses

Sony's chief financial officer has revealed that the company's recently reported games division losses were less than expected because of the lack of PlayStation 3 consoles sold at a loss.

With Nintendo's Wii having outsold Sony's PlayStation 3 by almost fivefold during the quarter ending in June, Sony's CFO Nobuyuki Oneda appears to be looking on the bright side of life.

"Sales of the PS3 have risen but we booked losses due to our strategic decision to price it below the (production) cost. Actually, because the number of units sold was not as high as we hoped, the loss was better than our original expectation," he said.

Last Thursday Sony posted an operating loss of $237 million for its games division, a figure mainly attributable to the fact that the company has priced its PlayStation 3 console lower than its production cost. It is widely estimated that the Japanese firm currently incurs a $200 loss on every PS3 unit sold.

With what could be a make or break Christmas for Sony's PS3 just around the corner, Oneda asserted that the main battle is still ahead of us," but said he was confident that software developers would continue to support the platform.

I don't really think that sales of Oblivion PS3 really back up that line of thinking. GAME refused to stock it, and it was months after release before it was financially viable for Bethesda to start working on porting Shivering Isles.

Shouldn't work on anyone really I guess, but that was certainly the perception that Sony initially tried to put out about the PS3; it costs more because it's better.

Now I think about it though, the 360 version of Oblivion was also £50 when it was released. Is it just part of the "classic" range on 360?

Now I think about it though, the 360 version of Oblivion was also £50 when it was released. Is it just part of the "classic" range on 360?

There were two versions of Oblivion for the 360 - the normal one (£50 in Game at the time) and the Special Edition (£60). It's now a budget title, and can be had for as little as £13 if you shop around. In fact, some online retailer (Play, I think?) had it for £9.99 recently.

Eh? So what about all the arcade games or stuff like Katamari?

Poor PS3 sales mean smaller losses

Sony's chief financial officer has revealed that the company's recently reported games division losses were less than expected because of the lack of PlayStation 3 consoles sold at a loss.

With Nintendo's Wii having outsold Sony's PlayStation 3 by almost fivefold during the quarter ending in June, Sony's CFO Nobuyuki Oneda appears to be looking on the bright side of life.

"Sales of the PS3 have risen but we booked losses due to our strategic decision to price it below the (production) cost. Actually, because the number of units sold was not as high as we hoped, the loss was better than our original expectation," he said.

Last Thursday Sony posted an operating loss of $237 million for its games division, a figure mainly attributable to the fact that the company has priced its PlayStation 3 console lower than its production cost. It is widely estimated that the Japanese firm currently incurs a $200 loss on every PS3 unit sold.

With what could be a make or break Christmas for Sony's PS3 just around the corner, Oneda asserted that the main battle is still ahead of us," but said he was confident that software developers would continue to support the platform.

Amazing.

To all those Sony haters not buying a PS3 - you're actually helping the company!