rllmuk
Ben

The Jazz Thread

That’s some great music.  If you like that check out The Complete On the Corner Sessions which covers all his music from most of that period (Honky Tonk was earlier).  (I'm not as keen on On the Corner itself, the real gold is after the first disc.)

• Upvote 1

What websites do you guys recommend for discovering new music and just reading about the scene in general? I've just started getting in to jazz and I'm hungry to learn more. Currently watching the Ken Burns jazz documentary and I picked up the Miles Davis autobiography, which has been a pretty wild read so far. It's kind of crazy, it's this whole genre which completely passed me by and now I can't get enough of it. Also, has anyone found either Spotify or Apple Music better than the other? I guess I'm thinking in terms of curated playlists and learning your tastes, specifically.

Been enjoying this track - 

The best way to discover jazz as has been told to me (and this is probably advice that has been passed down) is to make a tree map with Miles Davis at the center. Go through Miles Davis' discography, and listen to the music. As you listen to the music, branch out to the other members of the band he worked with, and listen to the music they were making. Then, branch out to the people they were working with, and listen to the music they were making. Etc, etc.

It works well overall, although it has the same weaknesses as a branching tree format, where you might like one artist linked to another artist you don't like, but realistically it's only a hurdle here and there. I love some of Miles Davis' music, although I'm not a big fan of his whole oeuvre (and the person), but it does show you just how entrenched he was in the jazz world.

As for Spotify vs Apple Music, I prefer Apple Music, although it depends on who you listen to and how you listen. I almost never listen via playlists, and Spotify is missing a lot of music from artists such as Rudresh Mahanthappa, so Apple Music is better for me. (*At least in Japan, where I live; musicians' discographies on the various streaming services vary by country.)

• Upvote 2

Yeah that's what I did back in the early 90s, Miles is the perfect jumping off point, Kind of Blue, and take it from there, get a decent Jazz discography too to help choose your albums.

I use Spotify but nothing beats buying actual records or CD's.

• Upvote 1

Now is a great time to get into Jazz as there is a great contemporary jazz scene. 

I use Spotify and through listening to a lot of Jazz on that and following artists I like I get decent suggestions from Discover Weekly. 

Starting with Miles is a great suggestion but stylistically he is so broad. He did have a great habit of working with the best musicians. He could certainly spot talent. 

I also recommend listening to Gilles Peterson’s BBC 6Music show. His tastes are pretty eclectic but plays a lot of jazz and I have discovered a lot of contemporary jazz through his show and reading the track list of what he has played. (A great example in the next post.)

Also see where you can go out and listen to jazz live. Jazz is really great to experience live (and Kamasi Washington is about to start a UK tour on Saturday - if you possibly can, go). 

• Upvote 3

I'd also recommend picking up a copy of the Penguin Guide to Jazz on CD. It's incredibly comprehensive and has a mini-review of thousands of records. It has a list of about 100 must have jazz records (marked with a crown) and you won't go far wrong using that as a starting point. It also has a brilliant artist index so if you decide you really like Joe Henderson (which you will decide obviously) you can find not just his records, but the records he played on as a sideman.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, David Kenny said:

I'd also recommend picking up a copy of the Penguin Guide to Jazz on CD. It's incredibly comprehensive and has a mini-review of thousands of records. It has a list of about 100 must have jazz records (marked with a crown) and you won't go far wrong using that as a starting point. It also has a brilliant artist index so if you decide you really like Joe Henderson (which you will decide obviously) you can find not just his records, but the records he played on as a sideman.

This is great advice. Beware though, this book used to be updated every couple of years but after one of the contributors died in 2007 that stopped. The current edition is the much inferior (so I understand it) Penguin Jazz Guide.

See if you can find a copy of the Penguin Guide to Jazz Recordings (“on CD” was dropped around the 7th edition iirc) 9th edition. This one

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, TurningMonster said:

Currently watching the Ken Burns jazz documentary and I picked up the Miles Davis autobiography, which has been a pretty wild read so far.

Just a word on that Ken Burns documentary, it's really well made as his stuff generally is and is definitely a good watch, but I'd take a fair amount of it with a pinch of salt. There's a hell of a lot of opinion presented as fact and since it's largely lead by the likes of Stanley Crouch and Wynton Marsalis it paints a very conservative, one-dimensional picture. Basically anything vaguely in the realms of fusion or the avant-garde is willfully ignored or quietly dismissed with the implication that it ruined 'real jazz'. It's been ten or so years since I watched it but IIRC even Coltrane pretty much gets 'Yeah, he did some good stuff with Miles and Monk then went off the rails'.

Worth watching just for the Ellington worship alone though, really.

• Upvote 2

Great advice above. May I also humbly suggest one of the Spotify playlists, such as this one which highlights some of the best talent coming out of the current UK jazz scene:

Also: Wynton Marsalis is a jumped up little schoolboy prick.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, DeDeDe said:

The best way to discover jazz as has been told to me (and this is probably advice that has been passed down) is to make a tree map with Miles Davis at the center. Go through Miles Davis' discography, and listen to the music. As you listen to the music, branch out to the other members of the band he worked with, and listen to the music they were making. Then, branch out to the people they were working with, and listen to the music they were making. Etc, etc.

17 hours ago, Stanley said:

Yeah that's what I did back in the early 90s, Miles is the perfect jumping off point, Kind of Blue, and take it from there

That's exactly where I started, I've seen the diagram below linked a few times. As for Kind of Blue, it's hard for me to articulate how much of an impact that album has made, it's just sublime from start to finish.

ZTrkB.png

16 hours ago, The Hierophant said:

I also recommend listening to Gilles Peterson’s BBC 6Music show. His tastes are pretty eclectic but plays a lot of jazz and I have discovered a lot of contemporary jazz through his show and reading the track list of what he has played. (A great example in the next post.)

Also see where you can go out and listen to jazz live. Jazz is really great to experience live (and Kamasi Washington is about to start a UK tour on Saturday - if you possibly can, go). 

I live in Los Angeles, so I'm hopeful I'll be able to get to see Kamasi sooner or later. His albums have been on heavy rotation for the last couple of weeks.

15 hours ago, David Kenny said:

I'd also recommend picking up a copy of the Penguin Guide to Jazz on CD. It's incredibly comprehensive and has a mini-review of thousands of records. 

Added it to my wishlist, thanks.

14 hours ago, Rsdio said:

Just a word on that Ken Burns documentary, it's really well made as his stuff generally is and is definitely a good watch, but I'd take a fair amount of it with a pinch of salt.

5 hours ago, Fierce Poodle said:

Also: Wynton Marsalis is a jumped up little schoolboy prick.

I read a few other people mention it's a bit one sided in places, I'll keep that in mind. What's the story with Wynton Marsalis? I enjoy his enthusiasm in the documentary.

• Upvote 2

On 13/05/2019 at 01:31, The Hierophant said:

I’m loving this show, thanks for the recommendation. Is there somewhere I can listen to older episodes? iPlayer only has the last four to stream.

On 17/05/2019 at 07:56, TurningMonster said:

I’m loving this show, thanks for the recommendation. Is there somewhere I can listen to older episodes? iPlayer only has the last four to stream.

Can answer my own question, found a private tracker that has a big archive of BBC shows. If anyone's interested, feel free to drop a PM. 

@SM47  Who?

It’s amazing so would like to dig into the sidemen. 

What resource do do you use for that?  If I stream newer jazz it’s hard to find out who the sidemen are because there is never anything on Wikipedia or on discogs. 

On 17/05/2019 at 15:56, TurningMonster said:

I’m glad you like it. Obviously it is a lot broader than Jazz and while I don’t like everything he plays I like a lot of it and I really think it’s the best thing on radio. 

6 hours ago, TurningMonster said:

This is a fun track 

The whole album is great. 

He plays with Kamasi

6 hours ago, TurningMonster said:

The opening track from Brad Mehldau's new album, just incredible.

It’s on my list but I think a read a review at the weekend that mentioned vocals. I can’t really get into vocal jazz (except Satchmo obvs). 

Enjoying the Ezra Collective LP. 

• Upvote 1

On 22/05/2019 at 14:57, The Hierophant said:

@SM47  Who?

It’s amazing so would like to dig into the sidemen. 

What resource do do you use for that?  If I stream newer jazz it’s hard to find out who the sidemen are because there is never anything on Wikipedia or on discogs. 

Sorry for late reply, I eschew notifications. Malcolm Catto, Moses Boyd and a stack of library musicians. Can't remember where I read that, maybe a post Gilles Peterson shared on the book of faces or some similar source. 

14 minutes ago, SM47 said:

Sorry for late reply, I eschew notifications. Malcolm Catto, Moses Boyd and a stack of library musicians. Can't remember where I read that, maybe a post Gilles Peterson shared on the book of faces or some similar source. 

Thanks, and no worries.  

3 hours ago, The Hierophant said:

Maisha are playing down the road tonight. It’s pissing with rain, both mates I was going with have let me down...I'm still going to go aren’t I?

I was glad I did.  First time seeing Nubya Garcia. The whole band were amazing. 

Ryan Porter’s new album, Force for Good,  is out today, looking forward to having a listen later. Another new release to check out is the debut by Joel Ross who plays the vibraphone, called KingMaker. This is the opening track - 

• Upvote 1

I’ve been listening to Miles for 30 years. 30 years!  So why have I never heard Agharta before?!

also really digging this:

great contemporary jazz at the jazz end of Nu Jazz. 

• Upvote 1