rllmuk
Asura

General chatter - discuss anything here

1 hour ago, Doctor Shark said:

Does anyone fancy taking part in a forum Call of Cthulhu one shot? I'm looking to set up and run a game. It's a ttrpg horror game where you play as investigators trying to stop the end of the world, investigate haunted houses, monster sightings etc set in the 1920s. It's a bit like D&D in that you have characters with skills and you use those skills to solve mysteries, thwart cultists and escape mind-melting and unspeakable horrors.

If anyone fancies giving it a go for a one off session using roll 20 online let me know. 

I made a thread about it here if you want more info: 

I’d love to.  When are you thinking?

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, The Hierophant said:

I’d love to.  When are you thinking?

An evening next week, or the following weekend (probably 15th as I know you have D&D on the Sunday).

I probably would be up for some Call Of Cthulhu.  Am playing a bit at the moment via zoom (probably monthly).

• Upvote 1

Great! I’d like to start with a one shot, being a new keeper, but then perhaps move on to a campaign depending on how it goes and how many people wish to corntinue. I’ve just bought Berlin, the Wicked City, but also have the Pulp Cthulhu mod and Two Headed Serpent campaign. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Lying Cat said:

It's the weight of the Splotter stuff that makes their minimalist design so fantastic. Honestly, I can't imagine playing Food Chain Magnate if the city tiles were elaborately designed - you'd never be able to extract the key visual information quickly enough. I mean, that game takes long enough to play and loses you enough friends already without somebody taking twice as long on their turn because they have to hunt out the best Lemonade route on a busy map!

It's the minimalism that makes the design good for their stuff. 

Personally, I'm pretty tolerant of bad artwork on stuff - and really, bad is very subjective anyway. I know some people who think Escape From the Dark Castle looks like a total mess, but I love it, probably because of the Steve Jackson's Fighting Fantasy books or something. That Vampire card is just hideous - I'd prefer they went down a simpler route rather than text boxes with one pattern seemingly floating on top of another pattern and huge tracts of dead space because you've only gone one Discipline icon. I half wonder whether they're trying to make it look like VTES to appeal to those people, even though this game is pretty lightweight compared to that.

There's certainly a place for good minimalist design but it can still look good while being clear and easy to read. Ian O'Toole does some great design work that looks barebones and easy to see but is pleasing to the eye at the same time. See Irish Gauge for an example.

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/161882/irish-gauge

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, jonnyalpha said:

There's certainly a place for good minimalist design but it can still look good while being clear and easy to read. Ian O'Toole does some great design work that looks barebones and easy to see but is pleasing to the eye at the same time. See Irish Gauge for an example.

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/161882/irish-gauge

Heavy Cardboard did a great interview with him where he talked about his whole design philosophy and how it applies to board games. It's quite long, but well worth a listen:

He puts so much thought into the whole thing, like making sure stacks of tiles don't get in the way of viewing important parts of the board, and other stuff like that.

• Upvote 2

Ian O'Toole is one of my favourite boardgame artists. I'd love to get one of his Lacerda games but they are super expensive and I'd probably only get to play them once a year. I bought Irish Gauge last month actually, probably the closest I'll get to playing 18XX games.

4 hours ago, Doctor Shark said:

Great! I’d like to start with a one shot, being a new keeper, but then perhaps move on to a campaign depending on how it goes and how many people wish to corntinue. I’ve just bought Berlin, the Wicked City, but also have the Pulp Cthulhu mod and Two Headed Serpent campaign. 

If you need another player for Cthulhu, I wouldn't mind giving it a shot. But If you've already got four people, I'm more than happy to step aside. I'm also quite interested to see how forum games are - I may possibly try to run something in the future.

---

In other news, the Kickstarter for that Vampire Card Game went up and it looks like a mess. The core set looks to have about 75 unique cards in it, roughly - and the manual has in depth clarifications for 32 of them. Game will be a mess. Can you imagine trying to demo to somebody under those conditions?

17 minutes ago, Lying Cat said:

If you need another player for Cthulhu, I wouldn't mind giving it a shot. But If you've already got four people, I'm more than happy to step aside. I'm also quite interested to see how forum games are - I may possibly try to run something in the future.

---

In other news, the Kickstarter for that Vampire Card Game went up and it looks like a mess. The core set looks to have about 75 unique cards in it, roughly - and the manual has in depth clarifications for 32 of them. Game will be a mess. Can you imagine trying to demo to somebody under those conditions?

Cool man, you'd be number 3, which is probably enough for a one shot. I'll get something prepped and then DM you all with possible dates and some prep notes etc. 

I ran the D&D 5e starter set for some forum folk a couple of years ago and it was good fun. They then took over and ran with it and have kept it going ever since to great effect, I believe. 

1 minute ago, Doctor Shark said:

Cool man, you'd be number 3, which is probably enough for a one shot. I'll get something prepped and then DM you all with possible dates and some prep notes etc. 

I ran the D&D 5e starter set for some forum folk a couple of years ago and it was good fun. They then took over and ran with it and have kept it going ever since to great effect, I believe. 

Awesome. I've cleared the 15th as a date we might play - but just so you as the GM know, the only days I can't really do are Tuesdays and Wednesdays.

13 minutes ago, Doctor Shark said:

If you do need a 4th then I'd be interesting in giving it a shot. I haven't played Call of C in over twenty years tho (or even used Roll 20), so you'd need a high tolerance of guiding me through how it all works these days.

No worries if you'd rather not because I can imagine it's hard enough corralling lunatic investigators on your first GM-session as it is, without having too many of them to try and keep tabs on.

No that'd be fine. I've never played before or GM'd call of cthulhu before so it'll be a learning experience for us all :P

11 minutes ago, Doctor Shark said:

No that'd be fine. I've never played before or GM'd call of cthulhu before so it'll be a learning experience for us all :P

Remember the golden rule of GMing: If the players get stuck, two guys with guns kick down the door and have a clue on them.

• Upvote 1

Anyone else read Spielbox?  I bought a 2020 subscription via KS and I've subsequently purchased some back issues too (which lead to my Dutch misadventure).  I think it complements Tabletop Gaming quite nicely, almost Wireframe to TG's Edge.  You get a real sense of gameplay, it's suitability at different player counts, the quality of manufacture etc.  Multiple reviewers usually contribute and they can be blunt at times.  Admittedly it probably helps if you find slightly idiosyncratic translation from German charming rather than cumbersome.

Also, if you want King's Dilemma this autumn (and why not, it's phenomenally good - should have won the expert game prize imo) - pre-order here - you won't be charged until available.  https://meeplescorner.co.uk/product/the-kings-dilemma/

21 hours ago, Stoppy2000 said:

So the Masters of the Universe game is actually a tabletop RPG using the cortex game system. Anyone got any experience of this?

Website with a trailer is at https://www.legendsofgrayskull.com/

I'll probably get it just for a nice source book full of brand new He-Man art. 

Not much given away in that trailer, is there any art released for this yet at all do you know?

44 minutes ago, Arn Ironjaw said:

Not much given away in that trailer, is there any art released for this yet at all do you know?

None as yet. They did a live play of a short scenario. It had a nice digital interface. Basically it was He-Man themed D&D. I was hoping for a game full of miniatures but I guess this should at least be cheaper!