rllmuk
Asura

General chatter - discuss anything here

Looks like I’ve swerved a bullet on RE2, but Wingspan definitely still on the list. 

Yeah the whole mini game genre is awash with dreck games sold on mini components alone. Don't buy Super Dungeon Explore either.

Zombiecide Black Plague is one I really enjoy but we don't get it to the table nearly enough. 

• Upvote 1

I’ve been entered into an Xwing tournie!

I don’t even own it and last time I played spent the entire time with my TIE Fighter going backward 

This will be fine....

• Upvote 9

Has anyone here played Epic Card Game with kids?  I'm wondering whether it would be suitable to play with my 6.5 year old?

He's really getting into board games now (yay!) - enjoys Kingdomino, Junior Catan, Carcassonne and the Pokemon TCG, but I thought Epic looked like it might be fun.

(I'm a lapsed MTG player myself which is probably why it appeals to me!)

Whilst I love Epic Card Game...

21 minutes ago, Bushtopher said:

Has anyone here played Epic Card Game with kids?  I'm wondering whether it would be suitable to play with my 6.5 year old?

I'm basing this on my nephew, but I'd suggest it's maybe a bit intricate (with a lot of keywords) for one that young.  Definitely a step up from Pokemon tcg, but having that idea of a tableaus, and cards attacking is a good place to start him/her learning from though.  Epic does play into fantasy art tropes of big breasted cleavage women in places, if that's a consideration.

On the plus side, Epic is free on IOS and Android, so you can easily try it to see what you think though.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, uglifruit said:

Definitely a step up from Pokemon tcg

Jeez Louise, after finally figuring out how to play Pokemon, I thought I should try something a little less cerebral, like doing a phd in astrophysics, or learning mandarin. 

• Upvote 4

7 hours ago, Twinbee said:

Jeez Louise, after finally figuring out how to play Pokemon, I thought I should try something a little less cerebral, like doing a phd in astrophysics, or learning mandarin. 

This might well be a fair comment.  I stopped buying any new Pokemon TCG stuff *years* ago, and if it has followed the same kind of complexity and nuance creep that MTG has then I assume it is now is Phil Eklund* level of impenetrable.

*I'm saying him, because one day I'll be brave enough to take on the copy of 'High Frontier (Third Edition)' I have sitting here.  Yeah right.  Sure I will.

8 hours ago, Twinbee said:

Look if a dullard like.me can play things like Pokémon tcg you can. The things you learn in one game will most definitely be applicable to something else.

• Upvote 1

I'm pleased to see Dark Domains scoring a "must play" verdict in the new issue of Tabletop Gaming.   Really nicely produced and very evil minded "Euro".

The cover, featuring Dungeon Degenerates, is um interesting  

Edited by Cosmic_Guru
  • Upvote 1

On 25/07/2019 at 13:24, scottcr said:

Contemplating selling my Arkham Horror LCG collection... I *love* the game but it's completely running away from me and has become something I just spend money on without actually playing, just to keep up before packs go out of print and hard to get.  I don't get the time I need to do it justice.. learn the cards, build decks etc.  It's a great game to play through and I suppose I could just pick decks from Arkham DB and do scenarios... but when with pals, there's always something easier to get out to play quickly and when solo, there's always something else to play.

I've got two cores, all regular expansions and cores to date.  Of the boxes that have been opened all the cards are sleeved.  I've got a fancy collectors box that looks like this.image.thumb.png.b41b35e54faa8c6d8acd12ca45270b6d.png

I've got two POD scenarios - Carnvalle and the werewolf one.... 

I think, all in, I've probably spent about 400 quid on it all... not used to selling board games, does anyone know what's a reasonable value for selling it at... I don't even know where to begin when it comes to actually shipping it all!

saw this just got a like so thought I'd give an update... :)

I did sell it and I don't miss it.  I got 440 quid for the lot... when I added it up, the final total money spent on the game was about 680 quid.  I'm absolutely bailing from all LCGs.  Particularly since my pal has the entire LOTR LCG which while not being as strong 'narratively' (by which I mean, playing out a campaign with decisions in one scenario directly affecting another - at least from what I've seen so far) - is still great fun to play when we get the chance.

• Upvote 1

I was being slightly sarcastic about Pokemon, I think because we went straight from Sea creatures Top Trumps, to this, so it was a bit of a leap, and needed the printed instructions, an eBook and a YouTube video to get us up and running. 

I’d still strongly recommend Combo Fighter to anyone, it’s fun and fast. Part rock/paper/scissors and part strategic thinking. 

it’s out of print right now, but the makers have announced it’s getting a reprint very soon. So glad I got hold of the last reasonably priced copy before Xmas, and my son is patiently waiting to buy an expansion. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, jonnyalpha said:

We framed our used copy of Pandemic Legacy Season 1 and I'm pretty happy with how it's turned out. It looks great on the wall next to the boardgame shelves. (Don't look too hard if you don't want any spoilers) IMG_20200226_205335.thumb.jpg.752410982a03068ff819a94527148c5c.jpg

Millenia from now, alien archaeologists will be convinced this is how the human race disappeared.

• Upvote 6

What a fantastic idea!  Might do the same if I can convince the kids to play it a bit more often....  Still in Feb but I think its fantastic and would definitely play a game with this seasonal stuff again its really fresh.

On 27/02/2020 at 14:40, scottcr said:

saw this just got a like so thought I'd give an update... :)

I did sell it and I don't miss it.  I got 440 quid for the lot... when I added it up, the final total money spent on the game was about 680 quid.  I'm absolutely bailing from all LCGs.  Particularly since my pal has the entire LOTR LCG which while not being as strong 'narratively' (by which I mean, playing out a campaign with decisions in one scenario directly affecting another - at least from what I've seen so far) - is still great fun to play when we get the chance.

As someone who asked about this game a couple of pages back, is there a ‘light’ way of enjoying it, or is it like saying, “heroin is really good, just don’t have too much”?

Cos you clearly invested a lot in that game. Is the base set and a couple of extra sets pretty much pointless?

15 hours ago, Twinbee said:

As someone who asked about this game a couple of pages back, is there a ‘light’ way of enjoying it, or is it like saying, “heroin is really good, just don’t have too much”?

Cos you clearly invested a lot in that game. Is the base set and a couple of extra sets pretty much pointless?

I’d say so. You’d pretty much exhaust the first included short campaign quickly.  Each campaign has an end to end story released over about 6 boxes. One big and and the rest small. Each comes with character cards and, if you don’t keep on top of it, you’ll not be able to finish a bunch of the scenarios without the right cards. It’s a great game but an absolutely money pit.

• Upvote 1

Thanks @scottcr - though residents of this thread tried to warn me a couple of pages back, I was still intrigued by something that told a cool story in this way. But that post has put the final nail in the coffin. Thanks to all for helping me swerve it. 

There's plenty of 'legacy' games that have a story now that don't require continued investment. Stuffed Fables springs to mind. 7th Continent. Others will know more than me.

Is ‘legacy’ a genre or something? I seem to see it appended to board games all over the shop (literally, when I’m mooching in Travelling Man).

i must say, peeking over the wall into this hobby has some weird terms that I don’t understand.

Eurogame (which seems to mean dry, complicated games about economics).

Drafting cards/dice (does that just mean keeping them in your hand, or playing them?!)

Engine building (god knows)

Living card game (means you never stop buying things I think)

• Upvote 1

Legacy is a game that changes over time.

E.g. Pandemic Legacy the map, rules, mechanics etc all change over the 12-24 games you play.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Twinbee said:

Is ‘legacy’ a genre or something? I seem to see it appended to board games all over the shop (literally, when I’m mooching in Travelling Man).

i must say, peeking over the wall into this hobby has some weird terms that I don’t understand.

Eurogame (which seems to mean dry, complicated games about economics).

Drafting cards/dice (does that just mean keeping them in your hand, or playing them?!)

Engine building (god knows)

Living card game (means you never stop buying things I think)

I think Eurogames tend to be worker placement games, so each round you decide where to place workers to gather resources or other actions for your turn. 

Drafting Games are any where you are picking options from a general pool. For drafting Maguc, for example, you open a booster pack, pick a card from it to build your deck and then pass it on to the person to your right. You then also get handed the person on your left's cards, you then pick a card from that and then pass it on as before. You then keep going until all the cards have been picked, which gives you your cards for the main game.

• Upvote 1

Worker placement is one mechanism that a euro game might have. Its certainly very popular at the minute but there are others. 

It's like the genres in video games. There are many first person shooters but are they all the same? There are lots of platformers but they often feel different and would be described in different ways and "platformer" is only a blunt descriptor. 

So, for example, Everdell is a euro game that uses mechanisms including worker placement, card drafting, tableau building and engine building along with hand and resource management with end game scoring. 

What that means in practice is that you place pieces on the board to allow you to carry out certain actions. These can help you take cards from a deck or central area or resources from other spots on the board. You can play these cards in front of you by spending the resources to build your town (tableau). If used cleverly these cards can interact and combine with each other to generate you more resources and take extra cards allowing you to do more and more on each turn(engine building). By clever use of cards and efficient use of your workers and resources you will end the game with a town of 15+ cards which will combine together to score you the most  victory points.(end game scoring) 

Boardgamegeek have a list of mechanics in games which explains them better than I can. 

Welcome to this part of the gaming hobby by the way. It's a bit of a rabbit hole with as many quirks as video gaming and you're going to love it.

https://boardgamegeek.com/browse/boardgamemechanic

• Upvote 4

14 hours ago, Hexx said:

Legacy is a game that changes over time.

With the changes (to the board, the rules, the cards etc) being permanent, and affecting subsequent games.

• Upvote 1

Board game classification and terminology is certainly something of a minefield, which you are initially blissfully ignorant of.

A case in point - Scythe.  Three years ago I bought it and played it several times - I liked the way the player boards are indented, the individuality of meeples for different factions and the whole alternative post WW1 design ethos, so I decided to keep it. I had absolutely no concept of the game being being considered an example of an area control, engine building, slightly asymmetric, mash up between Ameritrash and Euro genres.

Euro games seem particularly problematic to describe since they vary a lot  - the term has nothing to do with country of origin.  Often it involves worker / dice placement but not always.  Often players work on their own boards and interaction is limited to competition for spots, but not always (Dark Domains is a good example of an aggressive Euro where all phases of your game may be disrupted by others).

I'm also not sure what constitutes a "heavy" game (or how this metric is calculated on BGG for example) - I tend to think of heavy Euros as having very large boards, many many tokens or meeples, many moving parts to be considered in terms of building one's engine and so forth (Gaia project, Lisbon, the pyramid building one) but maybe the term also applies to much more compact but extremely intense experiences such as Cooper Island.  

Then there are games such as Mage Knight which I love but which incorporate a mechanism - deck building - which I generally dislike, so you can't always assume a particular mechanism will rule a game out for you.

Then there are the 18xx games which I found out bear no relation to 4xx games (because they relate to specific years in the 19th century usually in relation to railroad development  rather than game dimensions).

Then there are games which appear to defy easy categorisation like some of the giant KS titles.

Just a word on legacy games too.  The term is used to distinguish games which change permanently over time as noted by Hexx.  Sometimes however you physically destroy game components as you go along and the game is designed to be played through once only (Seafall, Queensdale, The King's Dilemma, Gloomhaven), in other cases you can continue to play the final version of your game without adding new elements (Charterstone, and several others) and some you don't destroy anything, you just lose the element of surprise (the Scythe expansion Rise of Fenris being a good example).  Even this relatively new genre includes multiple categories.  Of all the Legacy Games I've experienced to date, the King's Dilemma stands out in terms of smallest percentage of material accessed during a single play through - it's beautifully constructed.

• Upvote 2

On 29/02/2020 at 21:43, Twinbee said:

If you can restrict your buying practices you'll be fine.

The danger is FOMO and the release schedule. There's pretty much a release (either a stand alone story pack, or a mythos pack as part of a campaign) every month.

A) These packs can have player cards in as well as scenario cards, so you might be missing out on something good (even though most of them you'll never use in your decks)

B) The packs can go out of print pretty easily. What if in 6 months you really wanted to play "The mysterious mystery of the mystery event" but it's out of stock?!?!?

Which makes it very easy to get into the buying cycle - but not the playing cycle. (I've stopped this campaign cycle - mainly as the setting/characters didn't really interest me...but I was falling miles behind)

IF you can control your purchases, it's  fun game. (A friend for instance pretty much only buys them once a year when he goes to expo)

• Upvote 1

A guy on a Facebook group I’m in just shared this, his 3D Gloomhaven. Took him 800 hours and only half of it fits on the table. 

C7D0B72A-0AB8-441A-83D5-EDC222838053.jpeg

• Upvote 5

Me and the wee man played DungeonQuest today.... his first time playing it.

I died a long slow death behind a jammed door while he completely lucked out and found a secret door leading to freedom. 
1CBD15D5-52E0-488F-998D-13E523286F7F.jpeg.5e414a3aadf9fcb8fc1867db4a7caf52.jpeg

D9A179BF-F5A7-40C1-96F6-F5E1B994197F.jpeg.97f10d190613cbea0180c7bc798fd805.jpegDB253A0C-781A-48B0-B191-CE4C7909E219.jpeg.ec4a884474cc56e1d91e55b9d3c54f0d.jpeg

• Upvote 5

Sooo... anyone going to AireCon? I'm officially working, but we don't have a booth - I'll just be playing our new games with anyone who fancies giving them a go.

Also @jonnyalpha - where did you get that frame for Pandemic?

• Upvote 1

It's an IKEA one. We were looking at box frames initially as our idea was to stick some cubes, research stations etc to the board but they are really expensive. 

We got a large IKEA frame and found that with the plastic sheet that covers the board we could still mount the flatter pieces like the outbreak marker as the sheet flexes slightly. The cubes were a bit thicker so we had to leave those out. 

I can't remember the dimensions but can measure it when I get in if you would like to know.