IGNORED

Games Workshop, An Appreciation Thread

Lorfarius

Even just the background change makes everything pop a bit more.  I’m always wary about changing levels in an app, probably cause I suck at it.  A few wee bits I really need to fix on there where it hasn’t recognised the background but magic.

80184C9E-8A42-4D45-B51E-C9FCBD508715.thumb.jpeg.27e80a6e6a76b05c43a17c53d77c0820.jpeg

F94EBCC6-EFBF-4B8F-AB0E-643B33EA1A78.thumb.jpeg.de059b693a5005593f46ee52dcc07f21.jpeg

Wow! Your stuff always looks great but now it looks super professional.

I honestly think it’s the reason my stuff has been selling well on eBay. Most of the photos on there are like this:

7904486D-B3B8-489A-8FA4-451F1053E733.thumb.jpeg.b94554c1683982db1ef2901b800c506a.jpeg

Could be “well painted”. Hard to tell!

Whereas mine look like this (and sold):

8BCF6CCA-37C8-420E-8939-89C95DA4DA2A.thumb.jpeg.5ce1969444833879ddef25c42f9206b4.jpeg

Oh, and I sometimes use this free app:

5A4E6FCA-583A-42BB-917E-D284BD5A5E99.thumb.jpeg.0ae70dbe86890bcfb974f4d18373bda7.jpeg

It seems to be a lot more extreme in what it considers “background”, resulting in a sort of focus zoom effect. Also it puts a blur on the edges, and a white border (which you can always crop) so I don’t rely on it for accurately representing my work, but it can sometimes give a fun effect.

Straight background removal using Picsart:

5C1E252E-EC89-4E46-AC06-ECC3757F2C72.thumb.jpeg.f687c92731bc37f6842e04ff41e27bae.jpeg

And the more “arty” effect using AI Background Remover:

2C8A2977-9FBF-4BED-B421-21C6776BDAB4.thumb.jpeg.6b029ab16b3852b27c6c49e45a5b29fc.jpeg

(and yes - I changed this guy from purple to green as it just wasn’t working)

Oooooh! Some of those look really interesting and some heavily pigmented options too.

I can already see quite a few Contrast that I'll want to try but I'll be waiting till we get some hands on swatches.

I've heard from people that have used them that there are some really good ones in there.  Baal Red, Black Legion, and Ratling Grime are good and the yellow is apparently a "must buy" although there are three yellows and they are refusing to specify which one they mean, the swine.  

24 minutes ago, feltmonkey said:

I've heard from people that have used them that there are some really good ones in there.  Baal Red, Black Legion, and Ratling Grime are good and the yellow is apparently a "must buy" although there are three yellows and they are refusing to specify which one they mean, the swine.  

I’m guessing the Imperial Fist one, which presumably gives you an instantaneous rich yellow over the white scar spray.

Talking of which, the pot version of white scar is one of the worst paints GW sell IMO (along with Rakarth Flesh and Pallid Wych Flesh, every pot of which I’ve had having been full of dry lumps), so I took a punt on the Air brush version, and it’s perfect for brushing straight out of the pot.

Yeah, the layer White Scar is terrible. So is Ceramite White, and Corax White for that matter!  I never use GW white paints, personally. Vallejo Cold White (AKA Foundation White) is my go-to.  I've been advised to try Tamiya Flat White, but that might be specifically for airbrushing, I can't remember. You have to use the specific Tamiya thinner with it.

I don't really use white on it's own a huge amount. If I'm painting white armour, the only part that will have any actual white paint on will be the edge highlights.  Apart from that, it tends to be things like dots in gems and eyes.

After the gung ho marketing spin GW put out before the actual reveal of a few extra paints I'm left feeling very Malibu Stacey in a new hat over it. The biggest step forward GW paints could have is dropper bottles.

20 hours ago, feltmonkey said:

Yeah, the layer White Scar is terrible. So is Ceramite White, and Corax White for that matter!  I never use GW white paints, personally. Vallejo Cold White (AKA Foundation White) is my go-to.  I've been advised to try Tamiya Flat White, but that might be specifically for airbrushing, I can't remember. You have to use the specific Tamiya thinner with it.

I don't really use white on it's own a huge amount. If I'm painting white armour, the only part that will have any actual white paint on will be the edge highlights.  Apart from that, it tends to be things like dots in gems and eyes.

Never had an issue with Corax white. Good coverage, smooth consistency after a good shake. I use it a lot for base coating and dry brushing.

My current favourite final highlight colour is Gauss Blaster Green, which I’ve used on the brightest points of the cloak folds and the shoulder hot spot here:

03E2285C-A0ED-432F-BF2E-9D5FE18C52E4.thumb.jpeg.50a1154df06abca4b327ab4fc8b38f31.jpeg

Does anyone know, can the units in the new Horus set be painted as any faction or does It have to be fists / sons?

in regards to painting a faction, there are some like Blood Angels Death company which Gw says can be painted as normal Blod Angels intercessors. Can any be painted interchangeably outside of obvious specific units (space wolves with the wolf skins etc) or are there subtle differences?

example: https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/searchResults?_dyncharset=UTF-8&_dynSessConf=-1573025933147630989&qty=&sorting=&view=&Ntt=Blood+angels+death+company

The world and his dog is painting the new Horus Heresy set it seems. Meanwhile I’m painting the 10 year old (?) Corpse Cart for a commission. These older kits are really horrible to put together, and the instructions are shite. It’s only when you compare the latest releases to this older stuff that the improvements in sculpts and presentation become apparent. Still, the little pile of zombie bodies is fun enough to paint.

I’m far more excited about another commission I’ve just received to paint a set of Starblood Stalkers:

65FF1123-ADD0-418F-B259-194C619F25D2.thumb.jpeg.4609b5e47c9a1891021ce628e43de104.jpeg

I’ve never painted anything as bright and vibrant as these before so I’m excited to really try and execute the job as cleanly and boldly as I can.

i am half way through a Lizardman commission for a bloodbowl team. it's killing me. they've got to be painted like Newcastle(Newtcastle) United strips. so i have to try make scaled lizards look like alan shearer

On 23/06/2022 at 16:47, Nicky said:

i am half way through a Lizardman commission for a bloodbowl team. it's killing me. they've got to be painted like Newcastle(Newtcastle) United strips. so i have to try make scaled lizards look like alan shearer

Can't wait to see pics of this

Dont expect them soon, They're very well on the back burner.

Gator Speed

Alan Saurus

Lizard Ferdinand

Jonjo Shedskin

Paul Geckogoine

Flyeater Hamann

Stephen Carnosaur

Crocodile Ranger

David Skinkola

Skink Parker

Fill Leap Albert

Coach is Raptor Benitez