rllmuk
Lorfarius

Games Workshop, An Appreciation Thread

On 17/04/2020 at 11:41, feltmonkey said:

Talon of Horus

I'm reading Lords of Silence at the mo. It's great, but it seems to be running parallel to Talon of Horus, or maybe just after. So I have this nagging feeling that I'm missing something, like why

Spoiler

the Astronomicon has disappeared

going to persevere then read Talon of Horus next.

Is there anything that'll tell me how all these books interlink and maybe a suggested read order?

Not that I know of. It can be bewildering. I didn't even know there was any other books that link with Talon and Black Legion. The Horus Heresy series is really confusing. You can miss things by not reading novellas that link up with box sets. 

On 26/04/2020 at 13:38, ScouserInExile said:

I'm reading Lords of Silence at the mo. It's great, but it seems to be running parallel to Talon of Horus, or maybe just after. So I have this nagging feeling that I'm missing something, like why

Hide contents

the Astronomicon has disappeared

going to persevere then read Talon of Horus next.

Is there anything that'll tell me how all these books interlink and maybe a suggested read order?

to do with your spoiler:

I think the Astronomicon has been put out of action due to Abaddon creating the Great Rift. The Great Rift is basically the eye of terror but bigger and splits the galaxy in two. It caused a psychic tidal wave (or something) that killed a load of the Astronomicon. And warp storms are a lot more volatile and obscure the Astronomicon as well. 

It's all a bit confusing as i have only really got back into it in the last year.

On 18/12/2019 at 07:14, feltmonkey said:

Here are a few more Dark Angels guys I've painted recently.  Inceptors and a Primaris Lieutenant, both from the Dark Imperium box released at the start of WH40K 8th edition.  I think I might have now completed painting the Space Marines half of the box!  Just in time for them to release the next edition, no doubt.  I've not even built all the Plague Marine side, and only painted one of the minis from that half.  

DSC_8805a.thumb.jpg.84bbf4481e6b6c37c7e0056373b7f948.jpg

DSC_8806a.thumb.jpg.b1dad69e2ca0be46d2d07175171a9eca.jpg

DSC_8810a.thumb.jpg.16d9e52c8efba66da17044d8b49f44fb.jpg

DSC_8797a.thumb.jpg.5ea094b910f7ce4c12522d30631c675a.jpg

DSC_8801a.thumb.jpg.06a7eb764b7b5fd44ff98177e220da56.jpg

Hey Felt, quick question - those transfers you have the shoulder there, are they the old SM ones or did you need special Primaris sized ones?

Great job by the way.

• Upvote 1

Those came from the transfer sheet that comes with the Dark Imperium box.  I've just dug out a copy of it and an old Space Marine transfer sheet, and the symbols are exactly the same size.  You do get some different transfers on the Dark Imperium sheet which are very handy, such as those tiny chapter symbols on the backpacks, plus all sorts of cool extras like campaign badges.  The problem with them though is that you only get transfers for four chapters - Ultramarines, Blood Angels, Dark Angels, and Space Wolves.  Are you still going to paint some Iron Hands?  If so, you can get an Iron Hands transfer sheet and even a box that has transfers and some nice upgrades like different shoulder pads, custom heads, and such like, but the transfer sheets alone go for at least £5 a sheet on ebay (and most of them are considerably more than that.)  That's all going to cut into your profit margin.  How's your freehand?  

If I were you, I'd look at how possible it might be to get one of the upgrade packs.  It seems GW are shipping again now, and the upgrade box is £15 and has 20 moulded shoulder pads and 10 shoulder symbol transfers, so enough for 30 primaris, or 6 squads, with a few of the really cool custom heads and robotic arms scattered around.  The problem for you is the whole Australian shipping issue, where everything GW costs a hundred times as much over there.  

• Upvote 1

Want:

image.thumb.jpeg.94af8b07552cfc873d628da1ff495981.jpeg

Apone or Dillon or both?

• Upvote 1

It is an awesome model, and exclusive to FLGS' (free of charge to them too), so get your orders in and support your locals.

• Upvote 1

The local independent store i buy from is classed as the second highest tier of stores (presumably independent stores) and at that level there are only getting 4 of the Catachan Colonel. So unless they expect them to sell for silly amounts it's not exactly the shot in the arm that it's been billed as.

The owner said he's not going to sell them but use them in other ways. It's may be meant to help drive business to the (independent) stores but he doesn't carry loads of stock, as he's an independent, which, over the last few weeks will have been chipped away so i'm not sure he could sell much as it is.

I think that's a bit churlish.  It's not going to save businesses, no, but it's definitely a good thing for GW to have done.  They've been suffering as well, and they didn't need to do this.

GW should do an Essential Workers of the Imperium collection.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Cocky said:

GW should do an Essential Workers of the Imperium collection.

They tried that, many moons ago. I wouldn't call it a resounding success

4f65d20ce6c83c4b8eed90fab41bf3f7.jpg

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, feltmonkey said:

I think that's a bit churlish.  It's not going to save businesses, no, but it's definitely a good thing for GW to have done.  They've been suffering as well, and they didn't need to do this.

I didn't mean to be quite so off, I was just disappointed that the numbers per store were quite so low, particularly as they get to keep the money. The model could be sold ten times over, perhaps more, at the shop, as everyone in the Facebook chat loved the sculpt.

I'd have bought it and I don't even collect Imperium stuff, let alone Guard.

• Upvote 2

Still plugging away at the repulsor 

07512C05-B809-42FF-8E54-0274A3116554.jpeg

• Upvote 6

13 hours ago, feltmonkey said:

Those came from the transfer sheet that comes with the Dark Imperium box.  I've just dug out a copy of it and an old Space Marine transfer sheet, and the symbols are exactly the same size.

Awesome to know, thank you. I still have a bunch of old chapter transfers lying around and I was wondering if I'd be ale to use them on pimaris marines.

That's awesome. The shade of blue you've used is gorgeous, the edge highlighting and subtle tonal variation from the lower areas of panels to the upper is fantastic, and the little details like the Space Lego logo and the red lenses are perfect. I love everything about it. :)

• Upvote 1

Wow, thanks felt! It’s just the 3 space wolf greys going up. Weathering was a challenge compared to doing nurgle tanks which you just cover in rust and corrosion and bogies. 
I wanted it to look proper shagged like it’s seen some action but well maintained, battered, not manky.  

On 26/04/2020 at 13:38, ScouserInExile said:

I'm reading Lords of Silence

This was ace, but the way. Well worth a read.

Onto Talon of Horus next

• Upvote 1

Online store is back open; home delivery only and they will start to run out of stock as they aren’t manufacturing.

but nuln oil!!!

14 hours ago, ScouserInExile said:

This was ace, but the way. Well worth a read.

Onto Talon of Horus next

I loved The Talon of Horus, I listened to it & Black Legion earlier in the year - I have an audible sub & listen when I’m painting.  ADB is on of my favourite Black Library authors, the framing device he uses for these books really works for me.

I’m currently listening to The First Wall.

11 hours ago, The Bag said:

I loved The Talon of Horus, I listened to it & Black Legion earlier in the year - I have an audible sub & listen when I’m painting.  ADB is on of my favourite Black Library authors, the framing device he uses for these books really works for me.

I’m currently listening to The First Wall.

I just have more time to read at the moment, for some reason. I haven't actually played Warhammer or 40K for the best part of 30 years, but still love the lore and the books are generally pretty good. I was fully invested in the Gotrek and Felix series, but that took a massive nosedive at the end. Still own every Gaunts Ghosts book, though.

Anarch (the latest Gaunt's Ghost) is on Amazon Kindle store for £1.99 right now... shame I sodding bought it last week for 7.99 :seanr: As others have said Dan Abnett is pretty solid but a lot of the WH40k stuff is utter shite. The only other author I'd touch is Aaron Dembski-Bowden (Armageddon was really decent.

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, idiwa said:

Anarch (the latest Gaunt's Ghost) is on Amazon Kindle store for £1.99 right now... shame I sodding bought it last week for 7.99 :seanr: As others have said Dan Abnett is pretty solid but a lot of the WH40k stuff is utter shite. The only other author I'd touch is Aaron Dembski-Bowden (Armageddon was really decent.

For people with time I recommend ADBs Night Lords trilogy. You end up rooting for a bunch of Psychopaths

Dembski-Bowden is brilliant at that - giving the chaos guys humanity and believable motivation.  I'm listening to the audiobook of Betrayer now, and he makes Argel Tal, a character who shares his soul with a demon and is hideously mutated by chaos, into someone who is conflicted, noble, and in a strange way principled.  He even makes Angron into an understandable character.  ADB realises more than any of the other Black Library authors that the Imperium are not the heroes, they are emphatically not the good guys.  The corruption of the chaos side is just more visible.

10 hours ago, Captain Novaforce said:

For people with time I recommend ADBs Night Lords trilogy. You end up rooting for a bunch of Psychopaths

I'm fully heretical and have really liked just about all the chaos books. The Iron Warriors books are great as well. 

Is it the Night Lords where one of them is going full Khorne Berserker? There's a bit where one of the others says "I can hear you drooling inside your helmet..."?

• Upvote 1

I’m contemplating a knight. Is it best to get the Canis Rex set then Magnetise the arms to take every weapon Option?
Has anyone here done it? Is it easy to do, do the different weapons sit nicely or is it a pain in the arse?
so far I’ve only magnetised the main gun on a turret and the warcry scenery which was straightforward enough but still had me putting one in the wrong way around.