Lorfarius

Games Workshop, An Appreciation Thread

11 hours ago, Captain Novaforce said:

Anyway, for some reason I have a inclination to buy a Baneblade. 295 pieces! Whyyyyy?

Do it. Do it and post pics. 

For some reason my brain has decided that I really want a sicaran.  And maybe a knight. Send help. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, The Hierophant said:

What’s shadespire?  Why is it different?

It's a little 30-40 minute card and combat fantasy game. Pretty good value for the price, and reasonably self contained if you don't want to go crazy straight away. It's got pretty good feedback in other threads:

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Wh-Underworlds-Nightvault-2018-eng

It's fun, but your mileage may vary depending on how much you like building card decks, I like the game itself but the original starter set is hilariously one sided unless you get good luck with the cards. 

I've played with the ork and skeleton expansions and they add a bit more to the game but on raw stats - the orks and sigmarines are clearly the best, the skeletons and reavers are puny, which is where the cards come in, my only win as the reavers saw my team wiped out but the cards gave me points for this anyway.

Haven't bought into the second series as my gaming buddies have kind of given up on it. 

I’ve resisted the compulsion to buy all the expansions - which all have really nice

miniatures including some cool skaven and an evil dog. 

The starter box has premade decks in, so if you just played that you’d be fine. I haven’t played it enough to know which cards are good yet. 

You could always just buy a copy of the old WFB rules and play that though right?

13 minutes ago, And said:

The starter box has premade decks in, so if you just played that you’d be fine. I haven’t played it enough to know which cards are good yet. 

You could always just buy a copy of the old WFB rules and play that though right?

Oh don’t worry, I have editions 1-3 and a lot of the scenarios. I look forward to playing Bloodbath at Orcs drift with my boys at some point. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, The Hierophant said:

Oh don’t worry, I have editions 1-3 and a lot of the scenarios. I look forward to playing Bloodbath at Orcs drift with my boys at some point. 

You leave me with the impression that you would rather start with a proper wargame, as an introduction and taster that might lead them into other things too.

I think the Middle-Earth one is a good bet. Their recent re-release is a consolidation and revision of all the rules for that game that could be considered the definitive version.There is a £90 starter set that is terrific value: https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Lotr-Battle-Of-Pelennor-Fields-2018-eng

Let us know how you get on.

Next Question:  My godson has got into 40k. Chaos Spacemarines. Possibly Nurgle. I’d like to get him something for Christmas but something not that obvious.   Maybe a book on modelling or collecting?  Any thoughts or suggestions to help me out?  Budget circa £20. 

@The Hierophant

At around £20 for death guard - the nurgle faction there’s a couple of good easy to build sets :

a little tank - https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Etb-Death-Guard-Myphitic-Blight-hauler-2017

Or some cool terminators and a chaos lord - https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Etb-Lord-Felthius-The-Tainted-Cohort-2017

or you could get him the codex? 

If it’s regular chaos marines then they’re waiting on updates - there are new models in the black stone fortress set. 

Doing my first ever space marine which I got with the Conquest magazine. Decided to do my first one in (what I understand to be) the traditional style. I very much regret this decision because edge highlighting is infuriating. Keep seeing bits I've missed or which need tidied up, definitely not doing the rest this way.

Tried out the Armageddon Dunes texture paint which I think is a waste of money, was very fiddly to apply and sand and rocks are cheaper. Any ideas on how to paint this (and any criticisms) appreciated.

WIP:

L2JTgob.jpg

• Upvote 5

I think it looks great, very clean as the ultra-Smurf’s like. 

Ive got a bunch of marines and no idea what to paint them as. Might just do a dark bluey-grey scheme and then play them as smurfs or wolves depending on whim.

Baneblade aside I've been keeping busy. My Greyfax is probably about as good as I can paint right now, also pleased with my de- ultramarined Lieutenant. The ratling models were a load of fun too.

Also I painted up a Genestealer army. Send help.

IMG_20181208_110139.jpg

IMG_20181208_110131.jpg

IMG_20181208_111043.jpg

IMG_20181208_110215.jpg

IMG_20181208_110229.jpg

IMG_20181208_110429.jpg

• Upvote 9

@Captain Novaforce

loving your painting - especially the stealers - not a fan of nids but the gs cults have such character - I’ve got 10 neophytes to paint and a sprue of acolyte/metamorphs to build for my kill team - thinking will do a morf leader, a morf, 3 acolytes with all the good rock crusher weapons and/or hand flamers

still mulling over the list. 

14 minutes ago, And said:

@Captain Novaforce

loving your painting - especially the stealers - not a fan of nids but the gs cults have such character - I’ve got 10 neophytes to paint and a spruce of acolyte/metamorphosis to build for my kill team - thinking will do a morf leader, a morf, 3 acolytes with all the good rock crusher weapons and/or hand flamers

still mulling over the list. 

Thanks man, yeah I love em. It's like Alien 3 in model form.

Looking forward to the Gunslinger

IMG_20181208_110446.jpg

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, And said:

Are they from the tooth and claw box? 

Also - your de-smurfed dude makes me think of the winter soldier. 

Yeah I'll take that! The planet of my home brew chapter suffers from premature greyness. The sword bits covering the smurf Us are from Scion spare bits.

Yep, was on eBay and snapped up as some quality stuff for £30.

I was wondering is anyone has some good recommendations for a gift for my 11 year old nephew? I'm not familiar with this stuff, so though you can assist.

Apparently he's getting "Chaos Space Marines" as part of his Christmas gift, so something to complement that?

Edit: Ah I see @The Hierophant and I are in the same position! Will take a look at some of the replies from @And.