Good crisp bad crisp

Timmo

This type of spicy rice crackers are delicious but not many types available - they often lack flavour or are a bit small or greasy.

These Sainsbury's type are great but rarely in my shop, so I have to buy a few when they are as not seen in months. Perfect snack to accompany a drink in the garden .

300x300.jpg

The one regret I have about moving house is that I'm no longer a minute's walk away from a Co-op, which means I've had to cut back savagely on my consumption of their salt and vinegar crisps, which are - as any fule kno - the perfect crisp.

There are a lot of crisp manufacturers out there that lazily just use Cayenne powder and Paprika as any kind of Chilli flavour (chili jam, harissa, chipotle, etc) - and they end up tasting all the same.

I tend to stay away from chilli flavour crisps these days as much as I love spicy foods.

10 hours ago, meatbin said:

There are a lot of crisp manufacturers out there that lazily just use Cayenne powder and Paprika as any kind of Chilli flavour (chili jam, harissa, chipotle, etc) - and they end up tasting all the same.

I tend to stay away from chilli flavour crisps these days as much as I love spicy foods.

These are amazing if you can get them, flavourful as well as super hot.

810M99+tkqL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

On 20/07/2021 at 09:09, meatbin said:

The walkers max jalapeno and cheddar ones are really really good. But not vegetarian which I think is mad for veggie flavour crisps.

I recommend these to any purists out there. As a ready salted, or even unsalted, crisp fan - the slightly oily potato-ness of these appeals. Not for those that prefer chemical flavour coatings to crisps. 

226DD4FD-3B1B-47F1-96BB-DC43F196A631.thumb.jpeg.7750c76f43941417e966caf4ab954060.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

just tried these, banging vinegar tang and the crumbs at the bottom of the bag made my tongue leak like when you have sherbert

not a fan of the co-op ones, these my new #1 salt vinegar as its a very natural very clean but punchy taste.

552488011_0_640x640.jpg?identifier=549fd

17 minutes ago, Pockets said:

Yeah but it doesn’t taste like a chemical, it tastes like salt. 

:huh:

Salt IS a fucking chemical. "Chemical taste" is fucked up woo that people invent to confirm their own opinions. Every fucking thing we eat is made of chemicals. Singling out one as bad is idiot nonsense of the highest order. Meat is made of chemicals, veg is made of chemicals, dairy is made of chemicals. If you mix them together (i.e. cookery  you make just more chemicals). It's chemicals all the way down. I'd be prepared to bet that everything you have ever tasted in your life has been a chemical.

I just had a bag of proton flavoured crisps. No chemicals there. Just artisanal hand picked protons lightly sprinkled over hand made potato chips made with real tegridy.

But what I actually really came here to say is that the Tesco Finest Beef and Horseradish crisps are amazing.

Talking of awesome chemicals and crisps. What British crisps still use MSG ?

McCoys Flame Grilled Steak flavour

Roysters T Bone Steak flavour 

Monster Munch various

Please add to list. They will all be good.

5 minutes ago, Orion said:

Talking of awesome chemicals and crisps. What British crisps still use MSG ?

McCoys Flame Grilled Steak flavour

Roysters T Bone Steak flavour 

Monster Munch various

Please add to list. They will all be good.

Scampi Fries and Bacon Fries. 

Still as incredible as they ever were. 

It's a shame Nik Naks don't contain MSG anymore, they are a shadow of their former self. 

why are people being so obtuse about the use of the word 'chemical' here, I think we all know what is inferred and maybe artificial would be more accurate but we all know what is meant even if the language doesn't pass peer review standards for some dissertation into crisp flavouring - which isn't really needed in this thread.

On 20/06/2021 at 12:20, Gotters said:

They look like they've stolen the font used by Tyrell's and the same shade of blue, from some of the images looks like they will become the official crisp partner of GB News or the Daily Mail.

These are very nice, but best eaten with something alcoholic to clean off the slightly clinging taste (which is nice but needs washing down)

499212011_0_640x640.jpg?identifier=f756b

They look like classic Philleas Fogg snacks - in other words they look brilliant. Where get?

4 minutes ago, Chadruharazzeb said:

They look like classic Philleas Fogg snacks - in other words they look brilliant. Where get?

The Sainsbury's I work in stock them. That's the only place I've seen them so far. Still haven't tried their Bombay Mix. Will have to put that right, I think...

22 hours ago, Gotters said:

why are people being so obtuse about the use of the word 'chemical' here, I think we all know what is inferred and maybe artificial would be more accurate but we all know what is meant even if the language doesn't pass peer review standards for some dissertation into crisp flavouring - which isn't really needed in this thread.

Nah, people are assuming 'chemicals' are unhealthy when they have that view. It's nonsense and should be challenged.

Everything you eat on crisps is absolutely fine to consume.

Nothing they use is better or worse than salt.

19 minutes ago, Lovelyman said:

Nah, people are assuming 'chemicals' are unhealthy when they have that view. It's nonsense and should be challenged.

I guess I struggle with the 'should be challenged' bit - its a chat about crisps so doesn't seem to merit that level of debate or any form of challenge.

3 minutes ago, Gotters said:

I guess I struggle with the 'should be challenged' bit - its a chat about crisps so doesn't seem to merit that level of debate or any form of challenge.

Well fair enough, I don't have a strong opinion. I just think that feeling smug because you're eating ready salted over salt and vinegar or bacon flavour is a bit daft. 

On 13/08/2021 at 17:50, Chadruharazzeb said:

Noticed today  there's a sign in my store says they're exclusive to Sainsbury's (I'm guessing that's just supermarkets - you can probably find them in smaller shops, maybe.

I finally tried their Bombay Mix tonight (that and the onion bhajis are on offer right now FWIW). It's very nice, but I'd question whether it's actually Bombay Mix. It's very light on noodly bits, instead having crispy flakes and possibly puffed rice that are usually denizens of other mixes. This doesn't make it bad, just different, but I would have liked a sturdier noodle in there to bulk it out a bit. It's all a bit one note texture-wise (everything is the same size - there are no surprises texturally). The cardinal sin though is no sultanas. I'm going to be chucking a good handful of them in tomorrow then giving it a good shake to provide a sweet cheeky refrain from the rest of it. Scrapes an 8 out of 10. It's really tasty, could do with being lumpier and needs a few sultanas.